PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for mindee

Tatia
09-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Little L is 3. He's a sweet-natured, easy going boy and just a real pleasure to have around. He is one that I receive funding for as an accredited childminder. My main focus for this term is PSED as L strugles to participate in group activities. He's not selfish or nasty or anything at all. He just does not join in. He hangs back on the fringe and so often, I sit with him and will move his arms (pretending to dance) to the movements. For instance, we did Head and Shoulders and Okie Cokie today and he just stood and watched and even when I, pretending to just be silly and want to dance with him, tried moving his arms, he was very stiff and resistant at first and then went limp and let me move him about but he never truly participated.

I can't tell if he's just shy or just wants to march to the beat of his own drum or if there's some sort of delay. I've only just managed to get him to join storytime/Circle time of his own accord. He will now sit and enjoy a story instead of wandering off and today, he even participated a little by holding the 5 baby ducks. He didn't move them about or hide them behind his back 1 at a time (5 little ducks went swimming one day...) but hey, it was huge progress and I was so pleased that he even asked to participate in this small way.

At the moment, I'm concentrating on offering him ample opportunity for group participation and movement sessions. His language is improving but he's still liable to use 1 word to ask for what he wants instead of beginning to form sentences and I think this might be a barrier for him. He certainly understands sentences and commands, he just doesn't speak very much at all.

I almost get the impression that he's self-conscious of being watched but of course, that's just my opinion on the matter so I want to be careful of leaping to conclusions.

I'd be happy t hear everyone's thoughts and advice for ways to support him and take him forward from here.

sarah707
09-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Have you worked through the ages and stages of the Eyfs relevant to him?

You might spot delays or causes for concern if you do this...

It's also helpful for spotting when we are perhaps asking too much of the child... although for his age, I don't think this is the case here.

Putting them all together will help you to build up a picture of his achievements and lend a new focus to his next steps.

Hth :D

Tatia
09-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Do you mean a tick list?:laughing:

No, seriously, thanks for that. I have always sort of thought of him as a "young" 3, iyswim. Like my DD is an "old" 4, very mature for her age. But lately, I'm beginning to wonder...so yes, I'll have a look at the rest of the learning goals and see where he's at with regards to the rest of them and see if there's a pattern.

Blimey, this is hard work sometimes!:eek:

sarah707
09-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Do you mean a tick list?:laughing:

Wash your mouth out! :eek: