PDA

View Full Version : did he only want me for my number

kelly76x
12-01-2008, 02:36 PM
I have just had a dad come to 'look around' i was very nervous and made sure i had all the information ready for him and everywhere was spotless he came and i got some activities out for his son i then offered him my portfolio with my certificates in he dident want it he just said i only wana know how much and your number for the tax people i explained we dont give out the ref number until they have decided they are definatly using my servidces then we would do contracts and give him my number i gave him the quote from the hours he gave me over the phone and he said well they will ask me for your number i explained about when i used a childminder i gave tax credits my quote and they were about to give me a rough estimate about what i was entitled to so iwent back signed contacts and on day of starting i phoned them up with her number. i then asked him if he would like to look round he said no its fine i'll give them a ring then come and sign the contracts and he went all in all he was there for 5 mins max me and hubby said he was ust after the number as he asked me on the phone last night for it too. or maybe he just decided that he was desperate for childcare. not sure what to make of it at al. have any of you experienced parents like this?

littlestar
12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
well kelly sounds abit strange no matter how desperate you are for childcare you still wana no where your child is and what is around them and explore i would also want to no about contracts and insurance theres desperate and there is rude maybe we got him wrong and he was a little shy do you think? but anyway well done to you for not giving your number hold on to that untill he has signed and if he signs and breaks it i would contact working tax and inform them incase its a scam do working tax not contact you to make sure your minding his children?

Monkey1
12-01-2008, 02:52 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Blo***y cheek! He was definatly after the number! I had an old parent ring up for it recently but never had a prospective one ask. Well done you for standing your ground! x

deeb66
12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
It definately sounds like he only wanted your EY number.

Well done for not giving it to him!

sarah707
12-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Sadly, although you should ring Tax Credits and make sure you are protected against fraud like this, they won't tell you if he's claimed against your registration number because of the data protection act!

You did the right thing though Kelly and he may or may not come back for childcare. I work with a number of fathers and I have to say their visits have always been brief! Unlike the mums who can stay for hours!!

If he does come back you will have to decide whether you want to work with him. If he cannot be bothered to even look around where his son is going to be staying, then he might not be the sort of person that can be bothered getting money out of the bank on time or sending a change of clothes or suitable gear for the weather etc... so you will need to think hard about whether you start a working relationship with him, bearing that in mind...

Good luck and keep us posted :D

angeldelight
12-01-2008, 03:09 PM
You did the right thing Kelly well done for staying calm and not giving it to him

I had the same done to me last year and I did give out my reg number
I could never find out if she had made a claim but would imagine she had

It is happening more and more now and tax credits need to do something about it if you ask me

Angel xx

berkschick
12-01-2008, 03:15 PM
I would think twice about taking this one on if he came back to you TBH.

Although why make up the odd hours if he only wanted your reg no? Strange one!

Let us know what happens

Love

Debbie

Schnakes
12-01-2008, 04:20 PM
If you guys dont give out your reg number, what do you do if a potential client asks to see your online Ofsted report? (Cos I usually just give them my Ofsted no).

Just curious..

Sx

sarah707
12-01-2008, 04:31 PM
I provide a copy of my report in paper form...!

I've sent you a pm! :D

button68
12-01-2008, 05:40 PM
This is sort of OT but I was wondering do the Working Tax Credit people ask us as Childminders for proof of how many hours the child is doing?

I was thinking 'hypertheticaly' that a parents could tell Working Tax Credit that their child is doing say 3 full days with the CM but they are actually only doing 2 - so the parent is quids in, iyswim. Over 100% of their fees would be covered if they were entitled to the top rate.

sarah707
12-01-2008, 06:10 PM
I've been asked that question by tax credits twice in 14 years! :D

button68
12-01-2008, 07:28 PM
I've been asked that question by tax credits twice in 14 years! :D

Gosh! :eek: It is really open to abuse then isn't it.

Lou
12-01-2008, 08:13 PM
In a word yes!!

In over 4 years i have only been asked once and i never heard anyting back from it.

People really could be telling them anything.

Spangles
12-01-2008, 08:28 PM
The more I think about it the more I'm not convinced that he was just after your number.

Maybe someone just told him he really needed it and he's a typical man and doesn't research things properly and does his own thing!

If you desperately needed someone's EY number why would you make up such ridiculous hours because childminders are likely to say no to them so he wouldn't stand a change of getting the number - IYSWIM!?

I do, however, think he sounds a bit odd whatever his intentions are!

Time will tell, let us know what happens next!

ajs
12-01-2008, 08:40 PM
i had a letter years ago confirming details and hours and i had a phone call last year for a child i no longer have so i put them right about that.

i did write about this on the old forum but many of you are newer than that so i'll retell the story (you knew i would)

a friend of mine called me up about looking after her sisters children one was a toddler and one school pick up and keep until 6
i said no problem as i knew her but get her sis to call me so we could talk money etc the sis called and she said she'd come round to go through contracts etc but could we get the paperwork started over the phone starting with my reg number me being me i didn't think anything about it gave it out. 4 weeks later on the friday when they were due to start the next monday i was at the park and saw the older son i asked him if there was anything he liked particularly to do after school and he looked blank at me so i said when mum is at work etc etc his answer was they were going to a friends after school not me. i came home and called the tax office immediately which wasn't easy as i couldn't find the number but eventually i got through and they confirmed that a claim was being made against me but not who it was (i had no other parents claiming so it could only be her) but stupidly didn't think to call ofsted as of course she would be unregistered

berkschick
12-01-2008, 09:46 PM
I agree Lorri, he would have made up "normal" hours and not risk you telling him to take a hike if all he was after was your reg no.

It does seem very odd though that he wasnt interested in anything else and I would proceed with caution if he comes back to you.

Love

Debbie

kelly76x
15-01-2008, 09:18 AM
well what ever his game was he hasent got back to me so maybe i foiled his plot lol or the money was to much for him. i cant say it was because he dident like me as he was here less than 5 mins lol.

angeldelight
15-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Sounds like you had a lucky escape kelly

Angel xx

Rubybubbles
15-01-2008, 01:15 PM
just catching up on this one, :eek: I would never of thought about that! But then I've never been asked for it!

Well done for your quick thinking

Rubybubbles
15-01-2008, 01:15 PM
If you guys dont give out your reg number, what do you do if a potential client asks to see your online Ofsted report? (Cos I usually just give them my Ofsted no).

Just curious..

Sx

same!! I was wondering about that one too

kelly76x
15-01-2008, 02:27 PM
if a parent had approached me regarding childcare and had a proper look round then asked for my number to see my ofsted reports i would be happier to give the number out then as they had obvioulsy done there research and knew they needed the number to read it. but as he was just adamant about wanting the number for the tax office that when i knew something was up. maybe ofsted should think about another alternative like a seperate pin number for ofsted reports.