PDA

View Full Version : other memebers of my family ??

kelly76x
12-01-2008, 12:01 PM
hi in another thread i was talking about i have a dad coming today needing a childminder willing to do unsociable hour due to his job its a 5.20 start one week and the next week hes on lates which is a 10pm finish now i really dont have a prolem with doing this until my friend who been a childminder for quite a few years said u do know that the kids and hubby will all have to be up and dressed for when he arrives they cannot stay in bed ( there 9 and 10 they dont need checking on) and on the lates they cant go to bed til hes gone they will expect you to be up and running til he has gone is this right ? if so i caot do that i presumed i could leave them in bed til there alarm goes off and they could have there normal school night bed time of 8. he s coming at 2 so i would appreciate any advice you can help me with

thank you

manjay
12-01-2008, 12:05 PM
?????????Not that I would do this unless being paid a serious amount of money, why could your faimly not stay in bed? I have a baby would that mean I have to keep him up until 10pm when he normally goes to bed at 7pm. I don't think so!

amanda xx

Schnakes
12-01-2008, 12:15 PM
Ive never heard of this, and cant think of one good reason why it would be so. Best thing to do is give Ofsted or NCMA a call.

Still have to say though - this man needs a nanny, not a childminder. I know you may need the money but it really isnt in the kids best interest.

Sx

kelly76x
12-01-2008, 12:38 PM
i know what your saying and i do agree this man does need a nanny or not work but he obviously dosent want to i cannot force him or turn down a wage because i dont agree with what he is doing if i feel at all the child is being effected then yes i would speak to the parents regarding this but at the moment for all we know the child may have been doing it since birth and is what he would class as normal. unfortunatly not that many people are lucky to be in jobs 9-5 mon to fri i used to work at the hospital and had to start at 7am so my daughter had to go my parents at 6am i hated it and i did eventualy leave once i fell pregnant with my second. i do state i have a 4 week 'settling in period' when either of us can cancel the contract so i will see how it goes. and from what i can tell he is single parent and needs help.

chubbymummy
12-01-2008, 12:50 PM
no way i would not expect my kids to get up when i do just 'cos its my job...... and i know what my hubby would say to that!!!!!!!!

sarah707
12-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Why on earth would they all have to get up or stay up? That's bonkers... I wouldn't even expect the child to be dressed for a 5am start... just come in pjs with a bag of clothes and send home in pjs and a thick dressing gown on the late night weeks.

I can't see how it would affect your family at all - unless you wanted it to, that is...

But yes, he needs an au pair or nanny and like Amanda says, make sure you get plenty of money...:D

Cammie Doodle
12-01-2008, 01:05 PM
I have never heard anything like it, where did "Friend get her info from? My Hubby does nights every 6 weeks, so where does that leave me ? Does this mean he has to stay up with no sleep? I think not. Ofsted been here when hubby was in bed and never mentioned anything like that to me . Think someone been misinformed. Hours are strange, but I have been there and done that to help shift workers out. Good Luck hope all goes well. Remember you have your trial period before making your mind up

Schnakes
12-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Hi Kelly - I dont want it to come accross as though Im picking on you! :)

What Im saying is - have you told the bloke he needs a nanny? That would be the first thing out of my mouth, I can tell you that!! Maybe hes not aware of other forms of childcare that are more suited to him.

Thats all Im saying. Just feel sorry for the kid, tbh - and even if it is what hes used to, doesnt make it right.

S.

LittleMissSparkles
12-01-2008, 01:50 PM
i often leave amy in bed with hubby when hes day off to give her a lay in as we are up every morning before 7am,think your friend has been mis enformed. I dont allow hubby or kids downstairs if they are not dressedim working but dont expectt hem to get up if they dont have toxxxx

deeb66
12-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Can't say I have ever heard of this either.....

there is no reason why the whole household has to be up ready to receive on an early morning drop off and nor do they all have to stay up on a late pickup.

jmoff
12-01-2008, 09:58 PM
well, see how it works out...you could always let the in in the morning and the boy would go straight to bed or he could always have a spare set of keys(once you trust him) and let themselves in.

he may be put off by the extra money for unsoicable hours...

Good luck

Jana

miffy
12-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I haven't heard of this "rule" either but would like to know where your friend got the information from.

If you're happy with the hours and dad can afford to pay the extra then go for it and good luck

Miffy xx

Mollymop
13-01-2008, 03:21 PM
I have never heard of this info either. I don't think it is correct though.
I am going to be open from 5:30am till 8:00pm as I know alot of people, especially around these parts are shift workers.
I used to be a night Production manager and i didn't get home until 6:30am every morning and hubby works on the road and had to leave at 6am, I was lucky as I had family looking after Timmy, but now I would struggle to get a childminder to be able to do that - it would mean them opening at 5:45am.
So therefore I don't have a problem with this and expect a lot of business due to the amount of shift workers.
But I will Be charging extra.

I hope you get on ok, let us know.

Big Hugs XX

buildingblocks
14-01-2008, 12:20 PM
my friend who been a childminder for quite a few years said u do know that the kids and hubby will all have to be up and dressed for when he arrives they cannot stay in bed ( there 9 and 10 they dont need checking on) and on the lates they cant go to bed til hes gone they will expect you to be up and running til he has gone is this right ?

Not as far as I know - I do overnight care so what would happen in those circumstances. My hubby does shifts (and I am sure there are lots whose hubbies do night shifts) . Only thing my hubby has to do is if he leaves the bedroom he has to cover up (TMI I know)

Blaze
14-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Your the one who is payed to be ready /still up...not your whole family!:eek: As above ...the only rules as far as my family are concerned is that hubby has to be covered up/dressed if I'm working & he comes downstairs.
Tasha:)

buildingblocks
14-01-2008, 12:28 PM
I am going to be open from 5:30am till 8:00pm as I know alot of people, especially around these parts are shift workers. I don't have a problem with this and expect a lot of business due to the amount of shift workers.But I will Be charging extra.

I Know my views on this are well known and I do feel that they are trying to phase out childminders and 'institutionalise' childcare. I actually think what you are planning on offering is a way for childminders keeping their businesses open. I know a lot of my friends will not start until 8am and do not work after 6pm. I on the other hand start at 7am with one family and another family I work from 7.30am somedays and other days work until 10pm for them - this Thursday I shal be working from am to 10pm because of the hours from the two families. I have to admit that the family where I work until 10pm I take hte childrne home for 6 and they are in bed for 7pm but if I had other childrne in then they would go to sleep here until mum picked htem up (had to do this for a while).

Whilst not ideal situations some children are so used to this it is just normal for htem

angeldelight
14-01-2008, 12:29 PM
How did you get on with this ?

Angel xx

Schnakes
14-01-2008, 12:46 PM
WRT putting baby straight back to bed (and presumably going back to bed yourself?) Im sure you have to be registered for overnight care to do it like that.

Sx

Tily Bud
14-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Got to say i agree with everyone else on this ! My children are never up when the mindees start to arrive and sometimes my husband is also in bed ans he works nights 1 week in 3, but it is not their servieces they are paying for only mine so i am the only one that should be up and ready !

Tily Bud
14-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Sorry forgot to mention when i had my inspection in november my husband was on nights and therefore in the bed - the inspector didnt bat an eyelid at this and certainly didnt comment.

charleyfarley
14-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Got to say i agree with everyone else on this ! My children are never up when the mindees start to arrive and sometimes my husband is also in bed ans he works nights 1 week in 3, but it is not their servieces they are paying for only mine so i am the only one that should be up and ready !

Totally agree, we are the childminder, not my hubby.

Even though Hubby works shifts it does work out that he is always up when my mindees arrive.

My children especially Mitchell are often in bed more so in school holidays

I've never heard of anything so stupid but saying that you know what Ofsted are like!!

Hope you sort something out if you decide to do it.

I do late finishes also sometimes if needed so it is a long day

Carol xx

deeb66
14-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Any update on this?

kelly76x
15-01-2008, 09:16 AM
i dont know where my friend got her info but she is a childminder too now when she was teling me i was wondering if maybe she was trying to put me off. she said when ur first child arrives everyone has to be up cause she hated doing it to her children they couldent lie in during school holidays they all had to be up and down stairs with her at the time was thinking well as a parent i wouldent expect you to do that just for me as long as your up. but never thought to query it before now as i hadent had any enqires but it looks like its not worked out anyway as he hasent got back to me.