PDA

View Full Version : COnfused about paying an assistant

katedobinson
08-09-2008, 03:15 PM
My Mam is going to be my assistant but what I dont understand is how can I pay her minumum wage which I think is £5.52 an hour when I am only charging the parents £4 an hour? :blush:

Chatterbox Childcare
08-09-2008, 03:23 PM
It is because you are self employed and she isn't. If she does it self employed I think it will be okay with the IR but not Ofsted

Best to check before you start

katedobinson
08-09-2008, 03:25 PM
yeah will check coz if I am having to pay her £1.52 extra to what im getting im going to lose out!

Pauline
08-09-2008, 03:28 PM
See this thread from the other day, I exlained all about paying assistants:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15508

:)

katedobinson
08-09-2008, 03:31 PM
my Mam doesnt want to do her own tax etc lol and she cant only be paid a certain amount a week due to various things which is under £116 a week x

theoldwoman
08-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Hi, can I just sort out the rules if you register 4 or more assistants, does it count even if they don't all work at the same time. I have one who helps during the day, and my daughter is registered, then another does the School runs so I don't have to drag everyone out. With the new ones starting School I would like another assistant to help with the school walk, she is already CRB checked for these children as she is a midday assistant. Would I need to register her, she will just be walking round two mornings a week, 10 mins at the most.
Thanks for any advice
Sue

Minstrel
09-09-2008, 10:07 AM
yeah will check coz if I am having to pay her £1.52 extra to what im getting im going to lose out!

This is £4 per child ( i assume) and your mum would be paid per hour £5.52. Assuming you would have more than one child if you are working with an assistant then you wouldnt be making a loss.

Even if you had 3 children thats £12 an hour and i'm sure you would be registered for even more than that.

Hope you get some answers! :)

Bushpig
09-09-2008, 10:13 AM
This is £4 per child ( i assume) and your mum would be paid per hour £5.52. Assuming you would have more than one child if you are working with an assistant then you wouldnt be making a loss.

Even if you had 3 children thats £12 an hour and i'm sure you would be registered for even more than that.

Hope you get some answers! :)

Exactly what I was thinking... if you only had one child per day, you wouldn't be needing an assistant? :) So, we can assume you have more kids... so your hourly rate is higher.

Pauline
09-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi, can I just sort out the rules if you register 4 or more assistants, does it count even if they don't all work at the same time. I have one who helps during the day, and my daughter is registered, then another does the School runs so I don't have to drag everyone out. With the new ones starting School I would like another assistant to help with the school walk, she is already CRB checked for these children as she is a midday assistant. Would I need to register her, she will just be walking round two mornings a week, 10 mins at the most.
Thanks for any advice
Sue

As far as I am aware, but I would double check if I were you) it is only the number working at the same time that count. So if there were only you and another assistant working then I don't think you would need to register as a business even though you had other assistants on other days/times.

Even thought the mid day supervisor is CRB checked with her current job you will still have to fill out a CM2 form and get her CRB checked to work with you. Don't know why a CRB can't be used for multiple jobs! :rolleyes:

Chatterbox Childcare
09-09-2008, 12:18 PM
As far as I am aware, but I would double check if I were you) it is only the number working at the same time that count. So if there were only you and another assistant working then I don't think you would need to register as a business even though you had other assistants on other days/times.

Even thought the mid day supervisor is CRB checked with her current job you will still have to fill out a CM2 form and get her CRB checked to work with you. Don't know why a CRB can't be used for multiple jobs! :rolleyes:

If you assistants are working without you present they also need to do their 12 hour Ped First Aid

katedobinson
10-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Ahhh right I see what you mean now, we can have 6 under 5 (well 5 under 5 as I already have a 2 year old). I sent off the CM2 form yesterday and my Mam already has a fist aid certificate she did one last year for children