PDA

View Full Version : activities for an after schooler

samgeordie
08-09-2008, 01:38 PM
i have a 5yr old girl after schooler, she has just started school and had her first full week so last week i didn't plan much incase she was tired. By the time we get home from school, she changes then has a snack I have about an hour to do something with her and my daughter. Should I do an activity everyday or should I allow free play some days? Ive done various arts/crafts, some baking and let them do colouring in/drawing and playdoh.

Is there anything else I can be doing or am I being too hard on myself (ive only been minding 4 weeks). I have 1 other mindee of 16mths but she is only here 2 afternoons at the moment until her mum starts working.

What do you do with your afterschoolers??

Andrea08
08-09-2008, 01:43 PM
sounds like you got it right,
its up to the child if she tired let her rest n chill with the TV
i asked this question last week and it was suggested to plan around the child,

one of my children enjoys role play and i said as a joke well you can wash up after tea, 4getting what i said i started washing up, she burst into tears and said " i was surpose to be doing the pots", arrr i was so sorry i let her finish off and she enjoyed it .
not realy sure what her parents think now because she told mum in the car she did the pots?
sounds like your doing ok xx

sarah707
08-09-2008, 05:30 PM
My after schoolers enjoy doing crafts left over from little ones and getting involved in cooking, helping set the table, a bit of Tv or computer etc...

I ask them what they like to do at home and make sure that figures as well. :D

Hannahlg
08-09-2008, 05:55 PM
i jsut let my after schoolers do what there wont really

at xams and easter i do stuff with them

karenjoy
08-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Yeah I will say I will let them choose, relax or do something, its a hard slog at school for them!