PDA

View Full Version : Logo Clothing - Advice from Tax Office

Pedagog
08-09-2008, 12:17 PM
On my pre-reg brief last week we had a very helpful lady from the local tax office, she told us we could only claim for protective clothing or normal clothing with logos on (ie a uniform). I asked if a logo was in the same colour as the background material, ie you can't see it was that acceptable and she said yes.

So for those of you who don't like logo clothing, you can still have what ever clothes you like with a self coloured logo, that virtually invisible, and then you can put it through your books as an expense.

Hope that helps.

balloon
08-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks for that.

I'm kinda sad that I can't claim for the cargo pants and baggy Ts I bought specifically for minding but better to know now than later...

Pedagog
08-09-2008, 12:35 PM
You can if you get a small logo put on them, lots of places will embroider a logo on for a small fee, or find someone with a super-duper sewing machine to do it for you.

Chatterbox Childcare
08-09-2008, 12:38 PM
On my pre-reg brief last week we had a very helpful lady from the local tax office, she told us we could only claim for protective clothing or normal clothing with logos on (ie a uniform). I asked if a logo was in the same colour as the background material, ie you can't see it was that acceptable and she said yes.

So for those of you who don't like logo clothing, you can still have what ever clothes you like with a self coloured logo, that virtually invisible, and then you can put it through your books as an expense.

Hope that helps.

Yes but does the tax saving equal the cost of the printing? I haven't found it economical.

Pedagog
08-09-2008, 12:40 PM
If it has a logo, she says you can claim the cost of the garment as well, as it then becomes a uniform and so tax deductible.

Chatterbox Childcare
08-09-2008, 12:44 PM
If it has a logo, she says you can claim the cost of the garment as well, as it then becomes a uniform and so tax deductible.

I don't find it cost effective.

£5 t shirts (I would buy these either way) and was quoted £3.50 for the logo

£8.50 x 25% tax would be a cost of £2.12 and that means it doesn't cover the printing of the logo costs - result a loss

sarah707
08-09-2008, 01:22 PM
If I pay for a shirt... and get a logo put on the shirt... I put the whole lot through my books.

I have bought it for work wear.

This offsets my income for the month I bought the shirt... along with other expenses of course.

Anything that brings my income down and takes my expenses up that is legal and that I can prove I have bought for childminding has to be good!

Thank you for confirming that one Newbie! :D

tulip0803
08-09-2008, 01:33 PM

£8.50 x 25% tax would be a cost of £2.12 and that means it doesn't cover the printing of the logo costs - result a loss

If they have your business logo they are then a uniform and they then become a legitimate business expence and the whole cost could be put through accounts. I wouldn't wear my uniform outside of work so they are bought purely for work. The whole £8.50 could be put through not just a percentage:) This is what Newbie was saying the Tax lady said.:)

Pauline
08-09-2008, 01:39 PM

Not sure Debbie but are you getting confused between tax you pay i.e. 25% of your earnings and tax deductable i.e. expenses.

If you buy an item for your work you don't deduct the 25% from the cost of it, you deduct the cost of the whole item from your income by putting it on expenses.

Does that make sense? :)

Pedagog
08-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Thats exactly what the tax lady said, she was really helpful.

Willowdancer
08-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Can you get away with buying clothing and then adding your own logo yourself? Just having ideas for the stack of t-shirt transfer printer paper I have here :idea:

Pedagog
09-09-2008, 06:29 AM
From what I gather yes, she said they are not to worried as long as you are sensible.

miffy
09-09-2008, 06:33 AM
Did the tax lady mention anything about footwear?

After all if I wasn't childminding I wouldn't be walking to school and playgroup and wearing my shoes out :laughing:

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
09-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Not sure Debbie but are you getting confused between tax you pay i.e. 25% of your earnings and tax deductable i.e. expenses.

If you buy an item for your work you don't deduct the 25% from the cost of it, you deduct the cost of the whole item from your income by putting it on expenses.

Does that make sense? :)

Sorry if I have made this confusing. It does reduce your expenses but are paying more out in expenses that you will get relief?

I know this sounds muddled but I would be better off not claiming the whole lot including logo and the tax saved is less than the logo cost.

flora
09-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Did the tax lady mention anything about footwear?

After all if I wasn't childminding I wouldn't be walking to school and playgroup and wearing my shoes out :laughing:

Miffy xx

i buy shoes for work and put them through, nobody has told me off ........ yet. i mean for the the farm we both by boots and nige buys steel toe cap boots, they go through as legit expenses.... you need shoes to do your job, whats the difference??????

as i understood it, if you can prove you use them soley for work or claim half back or whatever if you use them for personal use too then that is ok.

i put jeans etc through and half the cost of my winter coat. if it wasn't for walking to the bus stop I wouldn't need them as harry can get there and back on his own!!!

DudleyChildmind
09-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Can anyone recommend the best place to buy logo clothing please?

Pedagog
09-09-2008, 08:52 AM
I have used Banana Moon (http://www.banana-moon-clothing.co.uk/) and ABS Embroidery (http://www.absembroidery.co.uk/) several times, both very good.

DudleyChildmind
09-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Thank you :)

Pedagog
09-09-2008, 09:24 AM
ABS has a cheaper set up charge, and will often waiver this if the design is simple, he is very friendly and happy to give quotes etc by email.

DudleyChildmind
09-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks again :thumbsup:

DudleyChildmind
09-09-2008, 05:35 PM
I have used Banana Moon (http://www.banana-moon-clothing.co.uk/) and ABS Embroidery (http://www.absembroidery.co.uk/) several times, both very good.

I'm really pleased you recommended ABS Embroidery. I emailed them and I got a reply right away. The guy is very nice and I have ordered two t.shirts :thumbsup:

J_J
09-09-2008, 05:40 PM
i went to an accountant for the first time last year, she said that everything i had done was fine and all i had forgotten to put down for expenses was clothing. she informed me that we could claim £100 for work clothing.
x

donnahay0
09-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Does that mean I can go on a shopping spree and buy loads of designer tops & jeans (sew on an invisible label) and hey presto fancy new wardrobe.

I expect it all depends on the tax inspector as to whether he lets you get away with it - how would they know you don't have a label sewn onto your clothes they could be at the dry cleaners.

Pedagog
10-09-2008, 07:36 AM
I'm really pleased you recommended ABS Embroidery. I emailed them and I got a reply right away. The guy is very nice and I have ordered two t.shirts :thumbsup:

He is good isn't he?

DudleyChildmind
10-09-2008, 05:22 PM
He is good isn't he?

Yes he is. He is also very helpful and prompt :thumbsup: