PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm.....

venus89
08-09-2008, 07:20 AM
.... I have this 5 year old come to me for breakfast. He's been coming a week now and every morning he eats some breakfast, gets down and plays after assuring me he's full, brushes his teeth, then about 10 minutes before we go he tells me he's hungry.
In itself this isn't a problem. i don't want to change when he eats because my kids eat their breakfast with him when he arrives then go to get dressed. This works for us.
This morning he told me his dad says he is going to bring some popcorn tomorrow because he always gets hungry after breakfast. Now, there is a variety of cereal on offer, yoghurt, toast and fruit as well as fruit juice, milk or water to drink. He's not limited to how much he can eat.
Thh reason why I don't give him more when he turns around and says he's hungry, 1/2 hour after everything is cleared away, is because I don't really want to encourage it. I don't want to send him to school hungry, but I can't have people picking and chosing when they eat, eating on demand, I just don't have the time!

If his Dad does turn up with a bag of popcorn tomorrow, should I shrug my shoulders let the boy have his popcorn or say that he's offered plenty of food (that he likes) and I'd rather he ate breakfast at breakfast time and not throughout the morning?

angeldelight
08-09-2008, 07:37 AM
I know what you mean about being busy at breakfast time

I have a little boy who does the same at tea time and his mom always says he is hungry when he gets home - every one who knows me know I usually give to much rather than to little so it does annoy me to be honest

I think its more so he can get sweets from his mom rather than the fact he is hungry - much like your little one with the pop corn

I would make my rules clear to the little boy and tell hes got x amount of time to eat and after that it will be to late

I would also speak to parents and explain the situation - its unfair of them to supply popcorn or anything else for that matter
There again the little boy might be just saying that

Def speak to the little boy and the parents - and no dont give him the popcorn if sent - and dont change your rules

Good luck keep us posted

Angel xx

haribo
08-09-2008, 07:45 AM
i agree with angel be firm its your house your rules . i hate food being eaten between meals and dont feel right till ive cleared the decks so to speak to get on with our activities x

venus89
08-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Oh phew, I'm glad it's not just me! I wouldn't let my kids graze - they'll have a snack between meals but not one half an hour after a meal - so I don't want to have to give this boy any special measures.....

to be fair he didn't ask for more this morning so he's hopefully getting the idea that it's not going to get him anywhere. Next to work on being nice to that cat :laughing:

Tatia
08-09-2008, 08:44 AM
I don't blame you for not wanting to encourage that! What a pain. Definitely say no to the popcorn as that's not fair to the other children anyway. When my mindees try it on with me, I tell them they can have an apple, banana or a packet of dried apricots to tide them over til the next meal (stuff they can grab out of fruit basket and I don't have to prepare in any way, like grapes or oranges which need washed/cut up or peeled). Usually when they find that's all they're gonna get (no biscuits, no popcorn), they stop asking but if not, the extra bit of fruit isn't going to hurt anything.

venus89
08-09-2008, 08:59 AM
I don't blame you for not wanting to encourage that! What a pain. Definitely say no to the popcorn as that's not fair to the other children anyway. When my mindees try it on with me, I tell them they can have an apple, banana or a packet of dried apricots to tide them over til the next meal (stuff they can grab out of fruit basket and I don't have to prepare in any way, like grapes or oranges which need washed/cut up or peeled). Usually when they find that's all they're gonna get (no biscuits, no popcorn), they stop asking but if not, the extra bit of fruit isn't going to hurt anything.

That's a good idea, I can't see him going for the fruit (my kids would!). the trouble is, this is after he's brushed his teeth as well