PDA

View Full Version : NCMA Fire Blanket

libellule
07-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Hi, I have just received my pack from the NCMA with a free fire blanket.
The problem is I am not sure how it works. It looks like you fix the plastic box to the wall with the tapes at the top (and there is an anti tamper seal at the top as well).
I don't see how if there is a fire, that when I pull the tapes it will open the box to get the blanket out.
Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I don't want to open it until I need to use it.
Fire blankets have moved on a bit since the one I remember my parents having...
Any thoughts?

Paula J
07-09-2008, 06:57 PM
You will need to wall mount it with screws my last inspection OFSTED told me off for having it stuck to the wall and said I would not be able to access it in an emergency (only thibg she could find wrong!!!!) Paula:)

Jules12Wed
07-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Yes I can understand that as if you pulled at it there is a possibility that you would pull the whole thing off the wall and the blanket would not come out.

sarah707
07-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Yes, wall mount it and just pull the tab in an emergency. :D

Pauline
08-09-2008, 09:59 AM
The problem is I am not sure how it works. It looks like you fix the plastic box to the wall with the tapes at the top (and there is an anti tamper seal at the top as well).
I don't see how if there is a fire, that when I pull the tapes it will open the box to get the blanket out.

I think it should be fixed with the tapes downwards. That way when you pull the tapes the blanket will come out of the box, breaking the anti-tamper seal,

that's how mine work anyway and I have two, one in the house and one in our motorhome and that was fixed by the manufacturer, so it should be correct. :)

libellule
18-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks for your thoughts on this.
I finally remembered to come back and look!
I am going to look at some in a shop and compare them, because the hole for the screw would mean this blanket goes on the wall with the tapes at the top!
Think I will phone NCMA aswell!

Thanks

manjay
18-09-2008, 11:47 AM
If you put the NCMA blanket with the tabs down all the instructions would be upside down

venus89
18-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Juat checked my NCMA one _ I have it mounted with the tabs at the top. That's the only way I can hang it because of the shape of the hole at the back.....

Mollymop
18-09-2008, 04:53 PM
My tabs are at the top as well!! I thought it was strange!

balloon
18-09-2008, 05:47 PM
I bought mine in Argos, it came complete with a mini fire extinguisher and hangs with the tabs down, cost £20 for both.

Pauline
18-09-2008, 08:53 PM
I've seen a picture of one with tabs at the top (can't find it now :angry:) but it looked like the whole front would come off in the event of the tapes being pulled, as opposed to just the bottom coming off on those with tapes at the bottom.

Perhaps yours is one of those? does it look like the whole front would flap down, can you see a gap or any type of plastic hinges?

Pauline
18-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Found the picture:

http://www.sensotec.co.uk/resource/images/exting/Fire%20Blanket1.jpg