PDA

View Full Version : Questions

JennyM
05-09-2008, 08:19 PM
I am about to send off my application to Ofsted and have a few questions, if anyone could help it would be great

I am planning to set up my spare room as a playroom. Do I have to have all of the equipment and toys in place when Ofsted come round or will it be ok to have a detailed plan of things I am going to buy for the room

If I get registered, do all the courses etc and I am ready to start minding but then leave it until a year or so's time before I actually start minding, will my registration etc still be valid even if I haven't minded yet?

The reason I ask this is because at the moment I live on the fourth floor of a block and I am worried that it will be very difficult to get children to mind. I am thinking of taking on a part time Nanny job (I was previously a Nanny) and then waiting until we move to a house at the end of next year to start childminding. It will be in a different borough too so I know I will need to be Ofsted inspected again but will my registration still be valid?

If anyone could help I would really appreciate it as I need to make some decisions!

Many thanks.

RachelE
05-09-2008, 08:27 PM
I hope someone else can answer the questions in more detail.

But, I dont think you can be expected to have all of the toys and equipment as for example, potentially you could never have an enquiry from an under 2 year old, so it'd be mad to buy baby toys etc! It wouldnt be cost effective and you should present the case that you will make safe and provide for the ages you are caring for.

Also, I have just moved counties and OFSTED arent bothering inspecting my new home! Good job I dont have bare wires and holes in the floor!!?

Rachel x

JennyM
05-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks for your reply Rachel.

So you didn't have to re-do your registration or qualifications when you moved?

jellytot
05-09-2008, 08:57 PM
i didn either when i moved, all i had to do was a RA and send it to them. they were happy with that and sent me new certificate with new address. good job i dont think loose live wires everywhere is fine!!!!

JennyM
05-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks.

So do you think even if I am registered but don't actually mind any children for a year or so, everything will still be valid?

Chatterbox Childcare
05-09-2008, 10:17 PM
If you live in a smaller place than you are planning to go to you won't have such a good ratio.

You also have to tell Ofsted when you are moving and they will come and see the new place.

If you are not going to childmind, why are you going to all the effort, taking courses etc now.

Personally, I would leave the headache until next year

JennyM
07-09-2008, 08:54 AM
The reason I am thinking of registering now is because when we move we will have a larger mortgage and I will need to start work asap and won't be able to wait 12+ weeks for my registration to come through.

I have been told that if I send off all my Ofsted forms now, it will be AT LEAST January that I will get registered and the next Diploma doesn't start until March. I am on maternity leave at the moment but we really need me to start working before November if possible. I went to the pre-reg course in June and have only just been given the paperwork I need, I knew it was a long process but didn't expect it to take 8 months from the pre-reg course!!

I am thinking of taking on a part time Nanny job which has a good rate of pay and I can bring my baby along and then once I do become advertised will offer my childminding service for the other two days a week. That way we won't be relying on the money but it will be very needed money if it does come in.

I have been told that your registration is valid for three years if you do not mind in that time so that is fine.