PDA

View Full Version : Risk Assessment on Conservatory

DudleyChildmind
05-09-2008, 07:10 PM
We had a new conservatory built a few months ago and Ofsted have asked for a risk assessment on the new room. I'm not sure exactly what is required or how I list everything so I'd be very grateful if anyone can help me please? :)

kellyg
05-09-2008, 08:13 PM
I would have thought you need to ensure you have kite marks on the windows and if the doors like like they could be open maybe put some stickers on so the kids dont run through a clsed door - if you have sockets are they covered and I sould imagine they would like to see if there is a big step out to the garden maybe? I woud just look round the room and make a check list or note your room and any possible risks?

Sorry if that is not much help - my main room is the conservatory and I risk asses as the same as other rooms - we have in the night garden stickers on the window which are moveable - got them out the pound shop :clapping:

Unless they wanna see your electrics certificate etc?

DudleyChildmind
05-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks very much for your help :)

The window stickers sound like a good idea :thumbsup:

donnahay0
05-09-2008, 09:03 PM
I have just had Ofsted inspect my new conservatory and she loved my risk assessment - said it was very thorough.

Basically I followed the same format as any other room -

are socket covers in place
any trailing leads
are exit clear
where hot drinks are put
do external doors need to be locked to prevent children getting out (only if they have to be supervisd before going into garden)
check for trip hazards
ensure no glasses, scissors left out
small keys not left in window if you have a low opening window
Large areas of window to have stickers
I also made sure my bifolding doors are secured open to stop fingers getting trapped should one of the children decide to open/close them.

check round your conservatory and note down anything else and you should be ok. Be warned Ofsted wanted to come and check mine, however, it was a really casual visit.

I hope this is of use.

Ripeberry
05-09-2008, 09:15 PM
I've got a lovely sunroom which was built back in 1985. At the time it was sold as a conservatory.
With all this wet weather, it wants to spring leaks and i've got a least 5 buckets out trying to catch the water :(
I was going to use that room as a playroom and have put loads of toys and comfy furniture and bean bags out there (they have not got wet).
It is a great space when it's dry. Just got to hope they don't inspect when it's tipping down!;)
My hubby has promised to try and finally fix the leaks, but it means taking out the glass in the roof and that might be quite dangerous as the glass is over 5 feet long!:eek:
But all of this is going to delay things a bit.

DudleyChildmind
06-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Thank you Donna :)