PDA

View Full Version : somthing someone said

Hannahlg
05-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Yestoday i was having my driving lession. My driving instuster asked me how much we changed for hoildays i told him we dont chsnge when were on holiday but change half when children dont come.

He told me that the childminder that his little boy was going to teired to change him for when she went away on hoilday. so he said if your going to charge me im will send him. she said you cant as i wont be here. Well he had a big do with her about and saked and has got a new childminder now

Trouble
05-09-2008, 06:10 PM
i do know people that do that but i dont understand how and why they do that?:idea:

crazybones
05-09-2008, 06:13 PM
I dont charge it I am not available to work but surely he would have signed a contract with the childminder and she would have pointed this out when going through it????? If so then he was breaking the contract surely?

Mollymop
05-09-2008, 06:18 PM
I don't blame him for terminating the contract (I don't like the word "sacked" when it comes to childminding as we are self-emplyed not employed so therefore we can't be "sacked") with the childminder if he was not happy with her charging for her own holidays. I would never do it, but some do, he must have had it written in the contract and signed to agree?

Not all childminders charge half fees for child holidays. I charge full fee. :thumbsup:

lorraines little treasures
05-09-2008, 06:18 PM
some childminders still charge if they go on holiday, if you worked for an employer you would get paid for 4 wks holiday, so some childminders still ask for the fees. i dont personally as the parent would have to find other care for their child while i was away.so that would mean double fees so thats why i dont charge my parents

Pudding Girl
05-09-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't charge for my holidays/sick days, don't feel comfortable doing so as to me that's an employed persons benefits, not SE.

BUT - He signed the contractand he should have read it first before signing, no sympathy!! Stupid man.
:rolleyes:

ajs
05-09-2008, 06:50 PM
thant's assuming she made it clear that she was charging for her holidays in the first place.

i don't charge either, i thought about charging for bank hols but as i don't want to work them i don't charge for them

kellyg
05-09-2008, 08:18 PM
I dont charge when I am sick or my daughter but I charge half the daily rate when I go away as it is rare and full for them - I know minders who charge full for theirs too and I suppose if the parent if happy with the minder they will pay - like others have said if you were employed you would get 4 weeks paid full, we all need a break and if I was not earning it would worrie me so charging half settles it.

Noodles
05-09-2008, 08:35 PM
I give my parents a choice when they sign the contract either full fees when they are on holiday and nothing when i am on holiday or half when i am and half when they are.
At the moment i have parents doing it both ways and they always happily pay me :) :)

bubbly
05-09-2008, 09:27 PM
I dont charge when I am sick or my daughter but I charge half the daily rate when I go away as it is rare and full for them - I know minders who charge full for theirs too and I suppose if the parent if happy with the minder they will pay - like others have said if you were employed you would get 4 weeks paid full, we all need a break and if I was not earning it would worrie me so charging half settles it.
I do the same as Kelly and charge half fees for my 4 weeks annual holiday. If I take any extra days on top of the 4 weeks, I don't charge for them.

So far this year I've taken 1 day holiday and that was for an all-day Birth To Three course. No wonder I'm stressed :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
05-09-2008, 10:29 PM
I am going to throw a spanner in the works then because I get 2 weeks paid holiday per year.

My parents are aware of this and the contract states exactly that. Why shouldn't we get paid for our holidays?

Mollymop
05-09-2008, 11:17 PM
I am going to throw a spanner in the works then because I get 2 weeks paid holiday per year.

My parents are aware of this and the contract states exactly that. Why shouldn't we get paid for our holidays?

It's all up to you, as long as the parents don't mind, hey?
I wouldn't ask of it, but that is just me. Nice to see that the parents approve though! xx

Monkey1
06-09-2008, 05:15 AM
I take two weeks at half fee. Anything extra i take is unpaid. The parents take 2 weeks at half pay and anything extra is full fees.

Tatia
06-09-2008, 06:30 AM
I don't charge for mine but I know lots of people who do. It's not uncommon at all. Your driving instructor should have checked his contract and see what he agreed to before getting uppity with this childminder assuming it was in the contract and mentioned by her. Honestly, they always act surprised about info like even when you KNOW you told them.:rolleyes:

mummyroysof3
06-09-2008, 06:46 AM
this is an interesting thread as im just trying to decide what to charge, im thinking charging full for mindees hols so they can have as much as they want and 1/2 for mine and i have 4 full weeks any odd days i need off will be unpaid, illness is mindees full pay and me no pay with 4 weeks notice for hols.

But it seems parents dont listen to a word you say or the contract anyway lol

how does that sound?

charlotte x

cloud9
06-09-2008, 11:25 AM
It's all up to you, as long as the parents don't mind, hey?
I wouldn't ask of it, but that is just me. Nice to see that the parents approve though! xx

I agree i also charge if i go on holiday but the parents get theres free (2 weeks).
I see it as if i go on holiday i could do with the money more than they and if they go on holiday they need the extra money thats why i do it this way.

Alibali
06-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Alot of minders here charge for their holidays too, but I'm not comfortable charging for a service that's not available, so my rate is slightly higher than theirs but holidays are no fee. We've worked it out and it comes out to around the same both ways.