PDA

View Full Version : My son as an assistant?

DudleyChildmind
05-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi,

I have never had an assistant before and I would like to know what's involved please?

Would he need qualifications and have to go on courses etc? He is obviously CRB checked because he lives at home with me. He is nearly 20 years old.

Any advice would be much appreciated? :)

LOOPYLISA
05-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Hi,

I have never had an assistant before and I would like to know what's involved please?

Would he need qualifications and have to go on courses etc? He is obviously CRB checked because he lives at home with me. He is nearly 20 years old.

Any advice would be much appreciated? :)

I may be wrong here but have just sent a letter to ofstead about my hubby being registered, as long as he has had a crb and if hes going to be left with the children you will need to get permission from the parents, think im right im sure someone will correct me if im wrong xx

Paula J
05-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Having an assistant is a real help I have my husband and my sister in law both registered with me. They are allowed to watch the children unsupervised while I do school runs or they can do the school run while I mind the little ones. They are only allowed to be left for things like school runs and both had to do a first aid course.

I did ask OFSTED about registering my 19 year old son last year as he loves picking his brother up from school though it would save me trailing out! They said it wouldnt be a problem he was over 18 had a crb done at 16 as long as parents all agreed in writing.

I didnt register him in the end because of the new ruling meaning there would have been four of us registered so I would no longer have been classed as a childminder hope this hels Paula:)

DudleyChildmind
05-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Thank you :)

Do you mind me asking if you pay them a wage? And if so, are you then classed as an employer and they are classed as being self-employed? Sorry if the questions sound silly :blush:

I just thought that there would be more to it than that but if that is all he would need to do I don't know why I didn't think of it before because he loves playing with the children and the children love him too.

LOOPYLISA
05-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Thank you :)

Do you mind me asking if you pay them a wage? And if so, are you then classed as an employer and they are classed as being self-employed? Sorry if the questions sound silly :blush:

I just thought that there would be more to it than that but if that is all he would need to do I don't know why I didn't think of it before because he loves playing with the children and the children love him too.

Thats true will i have to pay hubby:laughing:

Paula J
05-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi sorry got way laid printing some EYFS stuff off

Right no I dont pay them, my husband well we just pool our money and my sister in law I just buy her kids things when they need them appropriate to the hours she puts in. In the summer I bought them a new swing, some outside toys etc (I claimed them back as expenses for my childminding business where I could)

You could do similiar I dont know what your son does but he might appeciate token gifts. If you do pay him a wage it has to be the minimum wage, reflective to his contracted hours with you. There is NI, Holiday pay and sickness thats why I didnt get into it. My husband helps alot my sister in law when hubby is not around.

Saying all that it is easy to register him so would pay you to do it and then decide how much time he will be assisting you and work from there Paula:)

Chatterbox Childcare
05-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I have a 16 year old son and he is my assisant.

I completed the cm2 form for Ofsted and when his CRB came through Ofsted wrote to me saying that he was acceptable.

He hasn't been on any courses but now the EYFS states that if he is left alone with the mindees he will have to do a first aid course - rebellion coming.

If you contact the Inland Rev they will send you a leaflet on emplying people. If you don't pay more than £116 per week you do not have to complete any paperwork.

kiddiwinks
05-09-2008, 12:37 PM
He hasn't been on any courses but now the EYFS states that if he is left alone with the mindees he will have to do a first aid course - rebellion coming.

My husband is on my certificate also, he does not have them often as he works full time, but when he is here he will do school run or he will watch little while i go if weather bad or they asleep.

does this also mean that he will need to do first aid to be able to do it.

Pauline
06-09-2008, 01:29 PM
My husband works with me, full time as my assistant.

He is registered with the Inland Revenue as self employed, he sorts out his own National Insurance and pays it himself. He does his own accounts for tax and invoices me for the time he works for me, I pay him and then put the cost down on my expenses.

The plus side of paying any assistant is that it can help to bring your threshold for tax down below the limit.

The plus side of the assistant being self employed is that you do not have to do their tax and national insurance. If you employ them, you must pay the minimum wage and have far more paperwork to do regarding tax and NI.

It was the tax office who advised us to do it this way, so at least we know that we are doing it correctly and legally :thumbsup:

As regards first aid - under EYFS anyone left alone with the children must have completed a 12 hour Paediatric First Aid Course, so this means if your assistant has sole care at any time then they must have had first aid training. You must also get parents to sign that they are happy for the assistant to have sole care of the children.

You must also keep a 'sold care log'. A means of logging the times and dates that the person was in sole care of the children. This is in case of any claims in the future of abuse etc. the log would make it clear exactly who had care of the child at the time.

Hope that helps. :)

DudleyChildmind
07-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks for all the help ladies :)

cloud9
17-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks pauline that was exactly what i wanted to do but wasn't sure i could do it this way.