PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted not registering because of seizure

Mrs.L.C
05-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Was wondering if anyone else has heard of this happening.

My neighbour is registering and has just been told Ofsted now wont register her till April 09 because she had a seizure in April due to side effects of some medication her Doctor gave her. the medication was a one off and not something she has to take all the time. Can Ofsted do this or can she appeal?

katickles
05-09-2008, 08:04 AM
TBH I would have thought they could.

My mum has epilepsy & although she doesn't have seizures oftern at all, in fact she can go for years, she was never able to drive at one point because of it. They make sure you have had a certain amount of time after the seizure iyswim.

I'm sorry for your friend though :(

Mrs.L.C
05-09-2008, 08:07 AM
even if it was a reaction on not something like epilepsy? It really something that its 100% not going to happen again unless she takes this medication again which obv shes not...its the same as being sick or headache side effects but worst

katickles
05-09-2008, 08:09 AM
I don't know really.

Have ofsted given her a report with there reasons & detailed there concerns?

She would have had to have a health form from her doctor & I know sometimes if ofsted have concerns they arrange an additional medical health check. Did she have to do this?

Mrs.L.C
05-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Ofsetd are coming to see her again today not sure about any forms

katickles
05-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Maybe they will go into a further explaination & give your friend there concerns.

Fingers crossed for your friend that all goes well though x

sarah707
05-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Ofsted can prevent someone from registering if they are concerned about any info from the Doctor.

Yes, seizures are considered high risk...

I hope she gets more reassurance from them when they visit

Wendy Woo
05-09-2008, 08:16 AM
I would say they can.

i got epilepsy from a bump on the head. no one in my family had it i just got it from a bump. i dont have any problems now as i came of my medication to have george. But wot im sayin is if ur freind has had one fit she will need to be careful incase it has triggered somethin that will make her have more.

We didint think i would have more but 10yrs down the line i was still on medication to control it because wen i tried to come of in the past i had another fit.

Fingers xed she wont but they have to be careful. I dont normally support ofsted as i think they r useless but i would agree with this one, if she had another fit with children around it would not be nice.

U just never no!

Chatterbox Childcare
05-09-2008, 08:50 AM
I had a neighbour who was trying to register and was told no because of a seizure, again through medication

See was told that the answer would be the same for 6 months and to reapply then

SimplyLucy
05-09-2008, 08:57 AM
My registration was delayed because of a seizure. The year had already passed but OFSTED wanted to do extra medical reports. Was the most stressful time ever.

Eventually after 8 months from beginning my registration OFSTED said yes. I'm sure once your neighbour has gone past the 12 month mark she'll be fine, it's just frustrating having to wait. I kept telling myself they were doing it to put the childrens safety first and not just to annoy me!

mummyroysof3
05-09-2008, 09:34 AM
hi, my sister in law and has frequent fits and im very careful about my kids being around her even with me there, just wondered if anyone has any advise on this situation though- she sometimes turns up to the toddler group i go to so have stopped going if she is at risk of having a fit should i not take minded children to the group would i have to have that on my risk assesment as it would come under suitable people around them?

i hope i havent caused offence with this question but im just worried about it

charlotte x

Minstrel
05-09-2008, 01:30 PM
Just wondered why you thought she is an unsuitable person to be around? Seems stopping going to groups just because she is in same room seems a bit extreme. Sorry but its not catching!

Wendy Woo
05-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Just wondered why you thought she is an unsuitable person to be around? Seems stopping going to groups just because she is in same room seems a bit extreme. Sorry but its not catching!

Sorry but i have to agree with u minstrel.

As long as u keep the children away if she has a fit then they will be fine. I have had a few fits infront of peolpe and they say yes it was a bit scarey at 1st but they were glad they saw it and learnt wot to do.

peolpe who have fits r not monsters, i would have been really upset if peolpe stopped doin things just cause i was there and i might have had a fit.

i think u should keep goin and just remove the children if she ever does have a fit

Mrs.L.C
05-09-2008, 01:40 PM
hi, my sister in law and has frequent fits and im very careful about my kids being around her even with me there, just wondered if anyone has any advise on this situation though- she sometimes turns up to the toddler group i go to so have stopped going if she is at risk of having a fit should i not take minded children to the group would i have to have that on my risk assesment as it would come under suitable people around them?

i hope i havent caused offence with this question but im just worried about it

charlotte x

No need to stop being around her. If it was to happen and the children see, just reassure them and talk to them about it and also mention it to the parents. Depending on ages of the children you could do some discussion/themes around doctors/nurses, when we get poorly etc and talk about the seizures in with this, maybe find some books in the library etc

Pudding Girl
05-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Mummyroysof2 - My hubby is epileptic and would be very upset if I were to say he cannot be around the mindees. As long as someone with fits ( and not being controlled by meds) is not alone with the children then I really cannot see your problem.

A total stranger in the street next to you might have a seizure at any time! You obviously cannot stay in the house and avoid everyone in the world with Epilepsy?!

mummyroysof3
05-09-2008, 08:13 PM
i understand what you are all saying, but maybe i didnt explain the situation well enough

She has regular fits at least every week and the last 3 fits she has fractured her skull, she once also had her fit whilst holding her son and dropped him which makes me uncomfatable her being around my kids lifting them up etc if she didnt have them very often then that wouldnt be a problem but i just feel it is better to avoid being put in that situation where a child im looking after wether mine or not could be hurt and i could have done something to prevent it. My husband has been telling me she had a fit outside a shop yesterday and her son was with her and anything could have happened to him.

Maybe i am overeating but if she doesnt seem to mind putting her own kids in danger than its upto me to protect mine by them not being around her while she continues to have regular fits.

she had a fit while at my house once and it was the worst thing ive ever seen and im glad my son was upstairs at the time and didnt see what happened unlike hers that was stood next to her and upset.

im sorry i just think while she is having so many and injuring herself so badly it would be best to avoid the situation if i can obviously when she is better and no longer having fits so often the risk will be less and i can start going again

sorry this reply is so long, i didnt want to upset anyone

charlotte x

Tatia
06-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Surely you can simply say to her that she can't hold your children or your mindees because of the risk. I think I would feel awful to ostracize a family member because of an illness they have no control over. I'm sure as bad as it is for everyone else to witness, it's much worse for her to endure and she needs the support and understanding of family and friends, not to be avoided like the plague.

Wendy Woo
06-09-2008, 08:31 PM
I fuly agree with tatia.

Just cause u have fits doesnt mean u have the dreaded lergy!!!!!

Sound like she needs to be on medication to control these fits. If i was her tho and reaslsed wot u were doin i would be sooo upset. I dont like the fact u r avoidin her as she has fits. This is not right, as said b4 just explain nicely that u dont want her holdon ur kids and all should be fine. Again like said earlier someone next to u in na shop or on the treet could drop down and have one. U CANT AVOID IT. It is a common everyday thing.

mummyroysof3
07-09-2008, 07:26 AM
i spoke to her auntie about all this and she agrees with me, i have asked her in the past about not picking the kids up while she having so many fits and also her mum has asked her and she totaly ignores us. her doctor also told her to keep picking her own kids up to a minimum too after dropping her son.

i dont think im avoiding her just cos she has epilepsy,. i agree that wouldnt be very nice of me but while she is at high risk of having a fit, she has had 5 this week, its not going to make her feel bad cos its not like im telling her im avoiding her, she has been to my house a few times with he mum on days she has been feeling well. Her fits are not being controlled my the meds she is taking and is now having a paid carer to come to her house because she is a danger to herself and and her kids while she so ill, that was her doctor that said that.

I agree with you all that i shouldnt avoid her just cos se has epilepsy but while it is so bad she is knocking herself unconcious and fracturing her skull, im not going to chance my kids getting injured or frightened if i dont have to, when her doctor finally sorts her meds out that control her fits then the situation would change.

she has had epilepsy the whole time ive known her(over 6 years) and its only the last 5-6 months its been really bad to the point of her being hospitalised many times, im not a horrible person just one thats trying to keep the risks to my own children to a minimum

charlotte

Pudding Girl
07-09-2008, 07:54 AM
By all means when minding you should never let her have sole care anyway, epilepsy or not, so brushing tht aside..

Maybe i am overeating but if she doesnt seem to mind putting her own kids in danger than its upto me to protect mine by them not being around her while she continues to have regular fits.

ok *** is she supposed to do??? Hand her kids over to social services or something??go and be shut away in an asylum where she cannot bother people??
She cannot help having epilepsy!! It's such a shame it's not being controlled by meds, but do you seriously expect her to stay indoors all the time just in case?
Sorry but you have REALLY got my goat. This is like a return to the old days where people with epilepsy were deemed satanic and kept away from "normal people"

mummyroysof3
07-09-2008, 08:30 AM
well the dotors have told her while shes like this not to be left alone wether at home or out, so im afraid its not just me that thinks that at the moment she is a danger to herself or others while her fits are so bad

her mum wont let her sit in the front seat of the car anymore because she once had a fit and fell against her mum who nearly lost control of the car and has told her numerous times not to go up the street shopping alone as the last 2 times she has done it shes had fits and sooner or later her son is going to get hurt.

im not saying that she shouldnt live her life im just saying while she so ill that she should be taking it a bit more seriously how it can be a danger to other people, a few weeks back her son was found half way up the street and she was unconcious on the drive cos she had a fit while outside smoking, i just cant understand why someone would take that risk with their childs safety

charlotte

mummyroysof3
07-09-2008, 10:19 AM
right ive read through all the posts about this again and had a think about what you have all said

i think im just worried about what would happen if she did have a fit while we was all at group, when she had one at my house that time i was here with her and our 2 sons who were around 22 months old and i was 8 months pregnant and it scared the life out of me so much i had a panic attack.

my son was upstairs in his cot and hers was playing in the living room, id nipped upstairs and heard a rattling noise, i came downstairs and she was having a fit the other side of a glass paneled door and her son was banging on the door crying, i couldnt open the door with her weight on it and didnt know what to do.

so i guess my worry is if im at toddler group with her we would have her 2 kids my 2 and any mindees i have, if she has a fit what if she falls on one of them or something or they are upset, i feel like id have to take responsibility of her and all the kids how will i manage what should i do?

obviously you all feel strongly about this situation so im hoping that someone will be kind enough to try and help me through this so i dont feel like i should stay away from group if shes there, by the way there have been times when we have been together but her mum has always been with her so i could just take the kids in another room if it happened.

charlotte x

Mrs.L.C
07-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Gosh what have I started

I can see where you are coming from but I also think there are ways round it so that you are not discrimintating. If she was to have a fit around the children you would simply take the children to another room and explain that shes ok and its just because she is poorly. If she has been told someone should be with her at all times to help with her own children should it happen she should have someone with her when she goes to the group so they can help you aunty when shes having the fit and everyone else can move the children incl hers at the group and distract them or explain the situation. Its up to you really whether you have her in your own home.

I guess everyone has opinions and not everyone agrees

Tatia
08-09-2008, 08:27 AM
I think it takes a big person to say what you said in your last post, Mummyroysof2. :) It's great that you can look back over things and know that it's okay to admit you want/need to change things.

As for group, can you speak honestly with her and tell her that for the safety and well-being of the children as well as her own safety, that you would like to inform someone at group that she is having a lot of seizures at the moment. That way, if it happens, there are other adults present who can help look after the children if you feel the need to stay with her. I can't imagine any of the other adults present would not jump in and offer to keep the children safe and looked after during a time like that.

And you are a registered first aider so brush up on what to do in case of seizure. It's not much, is it (ugh, got my refresher course starting next Saturday!:rolleyes: ), just rolling them on their side and making sure they don't hurt themselves (I think:blush: Guess I need that refresher after all!).