PDA

View Full Version : What do you all do?

Mags
04-09-2008, 05:52 PM
One of my full timers has her last week with me next week. After speaking to her parents i was informed that the only reason they are putting her into a nursery is because they do not close all year round.
This means that they do not have to worry about me having time off for holidays.
When i went away a couple of weeks ago i gave them a list of childminders that i knew but apparently no-one was available.
What else could i have done??? they have had their holidays (4 weeks in one go) surely i'm not expected to book mine just to fall in line with parents.

Anyway this is the reason that i have lost a full timer....so i'm wondering if anyone else ever has this problem.....just wondering if there's any way that i could avoid it happening again in the future.

LOOPYLISA
04-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Oh dear not good, this is something i worry about we have(or used to)!, go away at least 4 hols a year not all abroad, omg , sorry not been much help but were defanatly entitled to are hols, easier said than done i know xx

DudleyChildmind
04-09-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm sorry you have lost your full-timer. I have been childminding for 19 years and that has only happened to me once. I felt sorry for the child because he was happy here but he was very unsettled at nursery :(

Alibali
04-09-2008, 06:02 PM
I think it depends on your parents circumstances, if they don't have family around for emergency cover I usually advise parents at first visit that a childminder may not be the best option for them as we do take holidays and are sometimes sick! Sorry you're feeling down but don't take it personally, it's just circumstancial.

Bushpig
04-09-2008, 06:03 PM
It is a real shame and their loss to have given up a great childminder for the sake of 4 weeks a year. :(

With nursery they will be paying a higher price no doubt for those '4 weeks'. I hope you find another full-timer soon!

I know it can't be easy to organise other care/organise hols at the same time as me (as some of my parents do), but I need my holidays, just as much as they do. And I give loads of notice for it.

kiddiwinks
04-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Im sorry to here you lost your full timer we are all intitled to our hols. I have always tried to book our holidays around the full timers and only once have booked 1 weeks holiday in 8 years out of there normal routine i did get some grief as they said it was wrong they had to pay me 1/4 of the hourly rate which was stated in contract.

I have just changed my holidays (due to ready alot on here) as i never put a limit on holidays taken and only charged 1/4 hourly fee for it. One family has taken up to 12 weeks a year taking two full time children out leaving me out of pocket £146 a week.
gave letter this week stating that its changing to 4 weeks parent holidays then full pay. There not happy not to sure if they will stay as she put guilt trip on saying thats its her mom that is going to lose out asd she will not be taking children out and paying for it, then saying if she had not had to use holiday for my two weeks next june she would not miss out to much.

LisaH
04-09-2008, 07:19 PM
I feel for you. My parents always complain when I take a holiday (usually only take 2-3 weeks over the year) Yet they seem to think its ok to go whenever they like!!
I have one parent who consults with me and books the same time off as me.
My husband has set holidays so I can't pick and choose!! Really frustrating.

fortunately I am usually able to arrange cover with another minder.:)