PDA

View Full Version : can i ask one more thing about fees?

kelly76x
11-01-2008, 07:00 PM
sorry am here again havent heard anythig about the baby yet but i have just recieved a cal from a dad wanting care for his 2 year old. the thing is he works shifts 2 weeks earlys 2 weeks lates which mean earlys are 5.20 start :eek: and lates are a 10 pm finish i dont mind doing these hours need to start somewhere lol. the thing is its 3 days a week which will be different each week so basically taking up a whole place as i will have to leave all week open for him as one week it can be mon tues wed then maybe tue wed fri. so am i entited to charge for the other 2 days half fees as i can only have 2 under 5's so i will only be left with 1 more full time place available.
hes coming to have a look round tomorrow so again fingers crossed

jo f
11-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Wow! these are unsociable hours, I hope your fee reflects this! I would (after getting advice for myself on here) definatly charge half fee if not the full week. it is very tying for you. I hope u go on ok

Cammie Doodle
11-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Its your business Kelly you decide, but please try and be a bit more business like than we have in the past as we have lost lots of earnings and had to turn people away. Carolyn still has 1 child 2 days per week and Mother expects 5 days available for her use but will only pay for 2 saying she cant afford to pay any more!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: Good Luck June and Carolyn

chubbymummy
11-01-2008, 07:42 PM
it is your business!!!! make sure you charge somthing as you will definatly be out of pocket if not!!!

do what you feel is right.

Spangles
11-01-2008, 07:49 PM
My goodness 5.20am would finish me off! I'm not a morning person and would never consider that in a million years! Plus, 10pm at night! Wow! You are very keen! Will the child have to sleep at yours for a while and then be disturbed by the dad when he's on lates and when he's on earlys will the child go to bed when s/he arrives at yours?

Sounds like the poor child will be all over the place with these times (as well as you!).

I would definitely charge for the whole week but then I wouldn't do this job anyway!

Let us know what you decide. Good luck with meeting the dad tomorrow, hope he appreciates how lucky he is to have found you willing to do this.

kelly76x
11-01-2008, 08:48 PM
lol i know the hours are bad but its only 3 days a week the early start really dosent bother me as i have a 3 year old of my own who is always up between 5 and 7 depending on the night hes had. its the late finishes i'm dreading more as i lurveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee my bed its next in line after hubby and kids i could live there i'm always in bed about 9 to watch my tv for a few hours lol. and i have told him i will charge double b4 7am and after 6pm so will see how it goes.

thanks for all the advice.

angeldelight
11-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Good luck

I remember a few years ago working really early mornings and weekends and late till 10pm

You do not realise until you stop doing it just what a pain it really is

I would honestly thing long and hard about this 3 days can seem a very long time when you are tired and worn out and can have a lasting affect on your own family

Good luck anyway and I hope it all works out for you

Let us know

Angel xx

chubbymummy
11-01-2008, 08:57 PM
sleep on it tonight and see what you think in the morning

also ask your family that you live with as this will incur on their lives

at the end of the day do what you feel is right for you

LittleAcorns
11-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Hiya Kelly, Tricky one, personally if I did it I would have to stipulate that I would do it for a set time, then review the situation, I know you could always do it then give notice, but atleast Dad would knows where he stands, also bare in mind that the space is precious and we really dont have that many available especially as you have a 3 year old yourself......I hope it all works out for you x x x

Angela234
11-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi Kelly i would think about this the early mornings i could cope with (once i got used to it ) but the evening would effect other members of your family how do they feel? Charge enough for early and late hours

Let us know what you decide

Angela

berkschick
11-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Dont rush into anything, you are obviously needed as you have had 2 calls in two days! I am sure you will get plenty more calls too so dont feel rushed.

I couldnt take on these hours, my family wouldnt like it and I like my "me" time in the evenings too much.

Good luck though, let us know what you decide.

Love

Debbie

Lou
11-01-2008, 10:15 PM
I would think very seriously about this, although you might think its only 3 days, it will affect all the family and the days you dont have the child you will be tired from early mornings or late nights.

He will be hard pressed to find someone to do this so charge him accordingly.

God luck whatever you decide x

Schnakes
11-01-2008, 10:37 PM
This guy needs a nanny not a childminder - its not fair on the child, imo.

Sorry - I know thats not really relevant to your question! Maybe you could suggest it to the dad?

Sx

Lou
11-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Its a good point S!!

Has he thought about the affect on the child???

i wouldnt want my children to be doing that!!!

Lou
11-01-2008, 10:40 PM
By the way what is your name???

Schnakes????

mummyspice
11-01-2008, 11:32 PM
OOO couldn't do a 5.20 start-middle of the night:panic:
I used to have a baby 4-11pm 3 evenings,it wasn't too bad.I bathed her and she slept from about 8 ish. At the time, I charged £3 per hor and then an hourly rate of £4 after 6pm.
hth, Lisa x

Schnakes
12-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Lou - you have a PM! :) :)

Have you seen Home Alone? You know the video the little boy watches with Jonny and Snakes? Me and my sister used to love that bit...she would always be Jonny, I would always be Snakes. Hence the nickname. We still call each other Jonny and Snakes, even to this day. But with the accent it sounds more like...SCHNAKES!! :D We must sound like a right pair of nutters when we're out and had a couple of drinks..we have whole proper conversations in our Jonny and Schnakes voices!! :laughing:

Oh no...Ive just revealed myself as a complete nutcase to everybody.....

Sx
PS - sorry for the hijack!!

deeb66
12-01-2008, 02:15 PM
I think this one is really difficult.

With him effectively blocking 5 days but only using 3 then he should effectively pay you something for the unused days even if it is half fee but then he may not be in a position to pay this!

As many others have said.....I certainly wouldn't do this as the hours and shifts are horrendous but then it really is up to you and how much you are willing to do and how much you need the money.

From my experience i have found that any job that I am doubtful about in the beginning usually ends up being a complete nightmare and makes me wish I had trusted my gut instinct!!!

So now if I have any doubts.....I do not take them on!

Rubybubbles
13-01-2008, 10:56 PM
This guy needs a nanny not a childminder - its not fair on the child, imo.

Sorry - I know thats not really relevant to your question! Maybe you could suggest it to the dad?

Sx

hey that was going to be my line :D

Rubybubbles
13-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Lou - you have a PM! :) :)

Have you seen Home Alone? You know the video the little boy watches with Jonny and Snakes? Me and my sister used to love that bit...she would always be Jonny, I would always be Snakes. Hence the nickname. We still call each other Jonny and Snakes, even to this day. But with the accent it sounds more like...SCHNAKES!! :D We must sound like a right pair of nutters when we're out and had a couple of drinks..we have whole proper conversations in our Jonny and Schnakes voices!! :laughing:

Oh no...Ive just revealed myself as a complete nutcase to everybody.....

Sx
PS - sorry for the hijack!!

haha!! yeah whats yuor real name Pm me xxmwahxx