PDA

View Full Version : Arggh!! Parents visiting in an hour!

butterfly
03-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Ahh! A lady phoned at 12 asking to come and visit setting possible childcare for a morning a week for 4 month old baby! She said she wanted to come today so i've started running around cleaning etc etc and now my printer has decided to die just when i want to print a parent handbook!!! there's no way i can give her the one i'm printing as there's either no ink on the page or big ink splodges!! i will have to say i will email her one!

not sure what's going to happen as she originally mentioned wanting a couple of hours a couple of times a week so she could ride her horse. the problem is my only 2 vacancies for an under 5 are 7-2.30 on mon and wed. i don't want to use these up with only a couple of hours. i think the absolute min i could accept is 4 hours and then i could only do it on one morning as otherwise i would be giving up too many hours. i don't know what her circumstances are - i could offer a sat at a push or i could work around a friday morning but she would have to collect from the toddler group i run.

i suppose i'll have to wait and see - i really need to fill these last spaces though!

if she does only want 2 hours which i wouldn't want to accept - how do i go about telling her - i want to be straight but i don't like confrontations! she's coming at 3.30!! help!!

squiggle
03-09-2008, 02:02 PM
say you have a policy on minimum hours.

Think quite a few people do it on here already.

Personally i think a child would struggle to settle for just one morning a week.

see what the parent says and go from there.

Good Luck x

Annie_T
03-09-2008, 04:30 PM
as above hun,

how did it go? x

butterfly
03-09-2008, 05:09 PM
well she came and was absolutely lovely! The little boy was so sweet. She was really keen but seemed unsure as to hours as her mother is telling her that the baby (4 mths ) is too young for childcare.

Anyway i'm going to email her my parent handbook but am unsure as to what to say about hours. She mentioned something about 3 hours which is really too few for me to accept as my vacancy is for 7.5hrs. i do want some work so i might agree to fewer hours but say that it is for a short term contract for 3 months. i would be happy to agree to 5 hrs so maybe i should say this is the minimum? oh i'm so confused!!

angeldelight
03-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Good luck hope she gets back to you

Angel xx

Bushpig
03-09-2008, 10:17 PM
well she came and was absolutely lovely! The little boy was so sweet. She was really keen but seemed unsure as to hours as her mother is telling her that the baby (4 mths ) is too young for childcare.

Anyway i'm going to email her my parent handbook but am unsure as to what to say about hours. She mentioned something about 3 hours which is really too few for me to accept as my vacancy is for 7.5hrs. i do want some work so i might agree to fewer hours but say that it is for a short term contract for 3 months. i would be happy to agree to 5 hrs so maybe i should say this is the minimum? oh i'm so confused!!

Good idea (short term agreement), so you could at least fill up your hours a little for now. Maybe use a 2 week notice period, as she is having so few hours, so if another child came along needing more hours that suited you, you wouldn't lose out on the business.