PDA

View Full Version : cutlery- named or not

louised
03-09-2008, 01:38 PM
I have just bought some childrens cutlery from ikea, brightly coloured sets of a spoon, fork and knife. They were only 99p for 8 sets. I was wondering whether it would be better to have a named set (knife, fork and spoon)for each child or to let them choose each day a different colour. All cutlery goes in the dishwasher each day, but I'm wondering if ofsted would prefer each child to have their own (sense of belonging, more hygenic). I personally think it's much more fun for them to have the choice everyday, anybody got any thoughts?

sarah707
03-09-2008, 01:42 PM
I would let them have a choice! :D

ajs
03-09-2008, 01:44 PM
absolutely not in my opinion

i don't care whether ofsted prefer it or not you'd have to wash each set after every meal instead of putting it through the dishwasher once a day

no no no no no nodon't we have enough to do

mum22
03-09-2008, 01:45 PM
I let mine have the choice, they take it in turns to hand out the cutlery to each other, another chooses the place mats and another decides which colour beaker each one is to have.

Raggydolls
03-09-2008, 02:52 PM
defiently let them choose their own, helps increase self confidence or something

leanne
xx

Minstrel
03-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I got the same set- and the bowls, cups and plates!

and towels and hooks and baskets and pegs and labels and oh dear i could go on!

Annie_T
03-09-2008, 04:28 PM
i have different coloured cuterlty too and i think letting them have choice everyday is good, or have a rota for each child !

example -
child 1- red mon, blue tues, purple wed, etc etc
child 2 - purple mon, red tues, green wed, etc etc

that way every child has each colour

Heaven Scent
03-09-2008, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't even go there it just makes children more picky and less able to adjust to the real world, I have the same cuttlery plus a lot of other cuttlery and we NEVER discuss the colour someone has in that respect and sometimes they even have to have mixed sets if they've had a tea the evening before that required just a spoon or fork or knife and the dishwasher hasn't been put on.

I put more emphasis on the fact that they are all trying to lay the table correctly and are using their cuttlery correctly and safely plus I ensure that they have cuttlery appropriate for their age - I do ask the children what colour they have each day and as they take turns at setting the table then sometimes some children do get the same colour 2 days running and sometimes they don't.

I must admit that I don't like these multi coloured sets for this reason but they do look lovely and cheerful and are very reasonably priced.

Monkey1
03-09-2008, 06:04 PM
I have this along with the plates and cups. The children get to chose their own every day. Sometimes they match them other days they pick one of each colour

Spangles
03-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Let them choose their own because if they are tied to particular ones this is bound to cause trouble when they want a different colour that someone else has and they can't if you see what I mean.

That makes no sense does it?

Gherkin
03-09-2008, 07:08 PM
I have this set and sometimes I let them choose and other days they get what they are given especially if they start arguing about who has which colouring.