PDA

View Full Version : Another school run question

katickles
03-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Ok started my school run yesterday. I collect a child from my local school which i'd say was about 10/15 mins walk if that, but with toddlers walking probably more to the 15 mins.

Yesterday I had just my dd & took her in her pram. Well we set off & it was lovely, got to the playground waiting & it went gray & to say the heavens opened is an understatement - It rained so hard we had rain running down our faces.

Luckily dd had raincover on her pram, I had no coat so was soaked to the bone, poor mindee was drenched. I had no way of sheltering her either :(

I am now bothered that on a Wed, Thurs & Fri I will have my part timer who's turning 2 in Oct. I also have baby of 5 months starting at the end of Sept, of course my dd to get to school - no prob as double buggy & either 2 yr old mindee or my dd can walk or 1 walk 1 way & then change. But coming home obviously school mindee aswell.

I can't fit them all in my car - so when its pooring down, at least 2 & myself are going to get drenched.

I guess i'm just wanting to know how it affects those of you that do school runs & don't drive to do it, what do parents feel about their children getting so wet?

Sorry for the big ramble btw :blush:

Lou
03-09-2008, 11:56 AM
I walk to school every day come rain or snow or whatever weather.

It would take me longer to get them all in and out the car etc.

I make it quite clear to parents that i must do the school run twice a day at least and their child should always have suitable clothing, ie raincoats and wellies even if it doesnt look like it will rain.

Of course with some parents that goes in one ear and out the other!!!

ziggy
03-09-2008, 11:59 AM
my parents wouldnt made children getting wet, do keep reminding them to bring appropriate coats though.

After school child i have is dropped off by friend as he finishes school in middle of his little sisters nap time...mummy agreed to this so I am only responsible for him when he arrives here.

Makes me laugh to think no one went to school by car when I was young...but then that was in 'the olden days':laughing:
sandra

Delly
03-09-2008, 12:05 PM
hiya, what about them all in one raincover suits, like boiler suits but waterproof, I know a couple of minders who use them. Think they bought them from winfields or any outdoor shop, you'd probably get them from one of those type of shops at Freeport..

SimplyLucy
03-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I put in my contracts that all before and after schoolers need to bring wellies, waterproof trousers and jackets.

This system works well, one parent bought a 2nd set to keep at mine (she is one of those perfect parents :clapping: ).

I have a range of all in one waterproof suits here that fit the toddlers/pre-schoolers I have. I also have a range of wellies from my own children so everyone can find a pair that fits.

No parent has ever minded when on the odd occasion we have been caught out and got a little damp (drowned rats spring to mind here).

On the days where we have got wet I try and dry everyone off in the best possible manner and make a big fuss about having a hot chocolate as a treat to warm them up. They love hot chocolate days and often I hear them say "I hope it rains after school today!"

Raggydolls
03-09-2008, 12:28 PM
my lot are much older so its a case of long waterproof coats with hoods, but i wud have wellies, umbrellas, spare waterproofs and spare clothing too, i wud also hairdry any mindees hair if they needed it to prevent them getting colds from having wet hair, i tend to stick trainers etc under the radiators to dry off, i also do the hot chocolate trick and they do love it, its me that ends up worse for wear, especially when pushing a buggy and not being able to hold an umbrella

charleyfarley
03-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I always walk to school and back, whatever the weather, parents know this.

I have a range of different size rain coats for boys and girls and a few pairs of wellies too.

I've brought Mitchell one of those all in one suits as from next week he has to walk every day or go on the buggy board either way if it's raining he'll get wet.(couldn't face a triple buggy :panic: )

I've never had a parent complain about the children getting wet but perhaps if they sent them a suitable coat they wouldn't get that wet.

Carol xx

Chatterbox Childcare
03-09-2008, 12:49 PM
I think the children love the weather and it is just adults that get concerned.

they see welly walking and puddling jumping as an adventure where we see it as more clothes to dry

I am sure if will be fine now but what happens when it is hail and snow?

I have an assistant registered who helps out when needed. It might be worth sourcing one who can look after the smaller ones whilst you drive if the weather is atrocious

katickles
03-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks girlies :)

I did make a fuss of getting hair dryer out & drying off mindee's hair & said to mum about it & she was fine - just said it was a good job she'd taken her propper coat that day as she wasn't going to.

I have thought of getting hubby to be my assistant & then e could come & sit with the littlies while I go & collect or visa versa if allowed, but not sure if that means theres tonns of extra work involved with ofsted/inspections etc etc.

I spoke to mi part timers dad when he dropped off this morning & e just said if he gets wet he gets wet - so opefully it will be ok.

Think i'll have a chat with schoolies mum tonight - ask her to drop me off some clothes for her dd for my house.

Oh why can't this country be lovely & sunny???:(