PDA

View Full Version : parents dirty shoes

NikNak
03-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Can any one advice me please on the best way to approach this situatuion.

All my mindees parents enter my house with their shoes on every day and bring mud, water etc into my house on a regular basis. I have laminate flooring in most areas so it is not as hard to clean as carpet. BUT it really annoys me as it just adds another job to my endledd list to hoover bits up.

I want to let them all now that all shoes must be removed at the front door on the mat (inside) if they want to come in. Any ideas on best way to let them know. Maybe a news letter? polite notice on front door? verbally? I feel really awkward about it as I get quiet nervous around the parents and give in easily for an easy life! But I feel quite strongly about this and it't really starting to bug me. Another reason I thought this new rule might be a good idea is to minimise time parents are in my home at drop off and pick up times cause I'll bet they cant be bothered to take their shoes off!!!!!!! (Hopefully)!

Cheers everyone.x

crazybones
03-09-2008, 10:30 AM
I think a newsletter would be fine. I had a parent bring their buggy in the hall this morning on the laminate and as she left she threw a comment over her shoulder that she had just wheeled through dog dirt. :angry: So I then had to clean my floor and her :censored: buggy wheels.:angry: :angry:

angeldelight
I would put it into my newsletter that my rules are changing with the cold and wet winter weather coming soon ( well its here already I think haha )

I would just say that from now on shoes are no longer allowed in my house and that you expect children and adults to take them off at the door

To be honest I dont allow shoes and never have - I always ask a new parent to take them off and if I get a funny look I say children lie and crawl over the floor and they dont want to be having to crawl in something that someone brings in on the bottom of a shoe

Even after all these years I sometimes dont like asking someone and it can depend on the parent - some are fine and some just give you a strange look

But tough - its our home and we have to live in it

Be strong and do it in a nice way in a newsletter

Good luck

Angel xx

SimplyLucy
I would put a polite notice by the front door.

Use the fact that the seasons are changing as as we head towards winter the weather will be getting wetter (I know it's been wet all summer!) and muddier.

Also make a little comment about it being more hygeinic for the children, they might feel a bit guilty then!

Good luck.

Bushpig
03-09-2008, 10:55 AM
I am going to put a notice on the door re the shoes, I generally have considerate parents, who taken them off if they are dirty. I have cream carpets throughout and am continually picking up bits etc. so don't need extra mud if possible. Kids always take shoes off immed - has been a rule from day 1.

I will pop a notice on the door just to remind certain ones... plus to remind them re Fridays... and to pay fees on time.. and not to drop off early.. and not to pick up late ... and... haha ... LONG notice ;)

Andrea08
03-09-2008, 10:58 AM
GR8 idea ,

i just got new carpets and make an issue that all the children take off their shoes.

my family take their shoes off so why not parents
verbally inform then back up with a news letter i think,

one thing i have asked for is slippers for the children, for years now, but it never happens "oh we 4got!" because if we have a fire drill (or god 4bid a real fire) they all have to go outside in stocking feet, wet socks for the rest of the day!!

dont want to pay for slippers 4 every child, but its not safe outside in socks!

sue m
03-09-2008, 11:07 AM
I don't have that problem with the parents I have now, they're great but me being me, I'm afraid I would shout "SHOES!!!" and make a joke of it. and I'd have a notice on my front door. :D

Pedagog
03-09-2008, 11:08 AM
I think an Autumn newsletter, pointing out that with the change of weather you would appreciate it if people could remove there shoes or use the boot scraper provided to clean their shoes when entering your house.

At our old house I used to make everyone dip their feet before entering our garden, mainly as our postman delivered to several farms and us, and we had chickens in the garden and so we took precautions against bird flu.

Pauline
03-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I've got it written into my health and safety policy and house rules.

It goes something like....."Everyone, including parents, are asked to remove outdoor shoes in the hall before entering the rest of the house. This is to keep the carpets and play areas clean and safe for all the children and especially babies who are crawing as it is very easy to accidentally bring dirt and dog mess into the house. I thank your for your cooperation"

Had to make the rule many years ago when a Dad who was a car mechanic used another minder while we were on holiday and got oil all over her cream carpet - thank heavens it wasn't ours (but I did feel so sorry for her as she was doing me a favour :()

Chatterbox Childcare
03-09-2008, 12:55 PM
I keep the front door locked and when mum or dad arrives I usher little mindee in to the porch and close the door. This way no one comes in and mindee goes out (quickly!)

NikNak
03-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Hey thanks eveyone, some good ideas. I especially like your technique Debbie! If only I had a porch!!!!!!!!!!!! Also drop off and pick up times vary. I am going to put up a notice backed up with a Autiumn newsletter to get the message across loud and clear.

Thanks again.x

Pauline
03-09-2008, 03:33 PM
I keep the front door locked and when mum or dad arrives I usher little mindee in to the porch and close the door. This way no one comes in and mindee goes out (quickly!)

How do you share information with parents? Do you do it in the porch?

I like parents to come in for a few minutes at least so that we can have a chat about what we've been doing, sign any forms etc. :)

manjay
03-09-2008, 05:17 PM

Snap, parents do not get past my porch:laughing:

Trouble
03-09-2008, 05:26 PM
My sign says Please remove all outside shoes for health and safety reasons