PDA

View Full Version : Getting a puppy???

Sharlene
03-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Hi and good morning!!

I really want to get a puppy, but my partner is convinced that people will not want you to look after their children if you have a dog.
Do any of you have much experience with a dog putting people off???

Im planning on keeping the dog in a seperate room from children (probably in our kitchen as is v big unless we're eating or doing crafts) , NEVER leaving the dog and children unattended. But making sure we go for walks with the dog, and letting the children get involved in feeding, grooming, training etc etc, while supervised of course.

what do you think????, i've always wanted a dog but because of the long hours I work, didnt think it would be fair. But now im going to be home and able to take the dog on walks, im really keen to get one.

sorry for the ramble lol

Sharlene xx

sarahstanbridge
03-09-2008, 08:18 AM
we got a puppy 3 years ago. now she is a fully grown springer who is great with the children. i havent had any parents turn me down because of the dog. in fact i had one parent that put there child with me as her partner was scared of dogs and didnt want lo to be afraid. we have a large dog crate which lillie goes int when someone new comes in untill they are confident. when lillie was a puppy the children loved getting invloved with her care. when she had her first jabs i took the minded children with me. they loved it - not so sure about the vet LOL.

hope that helps.

:) :) :)

louised
03-09-2008, 08:28 AM
I think it depends on the breed/size of dog on whether it would put people off. I have a very child friendly shih-tzu and have never had a family put off. I think people might be a bit wary of a larger breed and some children don't like large dogs. Small dogs are generally easier to look after ie; less exercise (although my dog would walk 10 miles a day). You might want to look at getting a breed which doesn't shed it's coat also as although I love dogs I can't stand dog hair. Small breeds are also much easier to bath! No-one likes a smelly dog.

Pedagog
03-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Now you see my son who has a phobia of dogs, loves our dog (which we have had for 6 months) he also likes one or two other large dogs mainly guide dogs, but is not good with small dogs.

CCJD
03-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Ihave two boarder collies. I always worried it would put people off but I have not yet met a person who is. We have a stairgate at the playroom door not just to stop wandering children but to keep dogs out (really important when the are puppies as they can be bitey little buggers and will happily chew through boxes of toys. I think that the parents like this too as they know that their children will have all the benefits of being able to mingle with animals but in reality not have the dogs overwhelmingly around them. I do have to Hoover twice a day!
I don't think it will put parents off but just be aware that not all people are dog people- my dogs are not allowed to pester people who come in the door and we have measures in place to ensure the dogs are not overbearing in the children's time here- so long as you consider this and explain your measures openly to the parents , it will put to rest any concerns they may have.

Mollymop
03-09-2008, 09:39 AM
Get a puppy if you want one. I have had one parent tell me that she had "reservations" about me cos I have a dog (little lhasa apso) as she was scared of dogs, but no one else, everyone seems fine about it.

Andrea08
03-09-2008, 10:08 AM
i have two dogs, they sleep a lot in their cage while the children are about ,
but in all weather we go dog walking/look at nature /take the ball etc,
so killing 2 birds wid one stone.

be careful if you are looking at a rescue dog, i had one once he was beautiful but became ill and a child hit him and well to cut a long story short he had to be put to sleep it took me months to get over him and I still keep his picture,

pets are good for our minded children as some dont have pets at home (teach care and share feeding) we also have;

4 guineapigs
10 fish
2 dogs
2 children of my own
an X-HUSBAND
THINK I HAVE ENOUGH LOL also lost a few pets on the way this i think helps the older children about life and how to learn to cope with loss.

Ripeberry
03-09-2008, 10:13 AM
One day i'm going to get a dog, but not a puppy ! Problem is all the rescue centers are full of Staffies but that is the ONE dog apart from Rotweillers that i would NEVER have in my house.
Would like a border terrier or a Heinz 57!:)

Saranotts
03-09-2008, 10:32 AM
We had a springer when I started minding, who then passed away and I felt so lonely that it wasn't long before we got a puppy (chocolate labrador). I warned all the parents 6 weeks before hand that we were getting one, so that if they weren't happy they had time to make other arrangements but as I had, had a dog when they joined me none of them were worried. It was hard work at first but we did crate train, so that helped. Also as another poster said puppies can be very chewey and so you do have to be very careful of toys and lo's.

However the advantages far outway the problems. The mindees loved having a puppy around and cuddling him and watching him grow and even the most nervous of the children are now very confident and one of the little boys who isn't able to have a pet, holds his lead and tells everyone "he is our dog". Also as someone as said, I have actually gained two mindee's because they are nervous of dogs and their mum wants to help them get over their fear.

So go on get one, they are a fantastic addition to a family.

Oops I'm going on again..........

One last thing, make sure you do puppy classes etc because I do think that it is very important for the dog to be properly trained as an untrained dog can be a big problem.

Sara
xxx

SimplyLucy
03-09-2008, 10:54 AM
I have a 6 month old miniture Dachshund. Obviously I was already minding when I got her. No parent has ever been put off by the fact there is a puppy here.

Remember you'll need a pet policy, pet permission forms (so the children can handle, feed etc) and keep all the vet records up to date. I always hand Ella's file over to parents so they can see she is wormed, de-fleaed and vaccinated. This seems to impress them!

The children all love Ella and although she is still a little nibbly at the moment they all cope really well with her.

Pedagog
03-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Ours is a rescue dog, shes a German Shepard/Lab cross, and is so docile.

Sharlene
03-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks you all so much for your responses!!. Im going to print out your replies and give them to my partner lol. He said prove other childminders do have dogs and then I can have one hehehehe :clapping:

im looking at possibly getting a sprocker spaniel (cocker x english spaniel) or somthing similar!!.

I feel broody for a puppy now

Sharlene x

Lou
03-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I have to say i really dont like dogs (sorry dont lynch me just my personal opinion)

The hair, the smell ect

But even i wouldnt be put off putting my child with someone who had one....unless it jumped up at me when i picked child up lol

Monkey1
03-09-2008, 12:51 PM
I have two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. The children adore them and they adore the children!

louise
03-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi, We got rascal a springer spaniel two months ago. Hubbie had wanted one for ages. I have always been a bit like oh its a big thing, my 2 cats please themselves.But after 7 years of bugging i gave in.
Any way i love him to bit even if he did manage to bit through my hair straighteners wire today.:angry: :mad:
I only have one mindee at a mo and he loves him. The pride my ds and him show when they get him to sit or lay is great.
Must admit he is a bit of hard work at the mo as he has got that much bigger that he can now put his paws on the table and work tops. Which annoy me. I keep on finding the washing machine and tubble dryer light on. I must remember to turn them off at mains straight away. Also the muddy/dirty paws, thank good for laminate flooring.
We start training classes soon with him.

Good luck,
Louise

twinkle3005
03-09-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi

I asked this same question last year when we were considering getting our puppy. I asked all the parents of the children I minded their opinions and asked other parents using childminders if it would put them off if their childminder got a puppy. Everyone was really positive and we got our labrador last October and it's been great. He even helping one little girl who visits get over her fear of dogs. Explain what your intentions are to parents and let them know their child will never be left alone with the puppy if you do get one.

Good luck

Jo

tulip0803
03-09-2008, 02:54 PM
I minded in England before moving to Wales and had a dog from the start. He is a cross lab/whippet and very gentle. I had a couple of people in thosen years that said no because I had a dog BUT I had many more that said yes and loved the fact I had a dog. I even had people who were scared of dogs who did not want their child to be scared.:)

caza
03-09-2008, 03:58 PM
We have 2 Border Collies,1 Siberian Husky, 1 fostered German Shepherd (who wont be with us for much longer) and a Bichon Frise so I hope most people dont mind dogs!! :eek: All the big dogs live in a large kennel and run outside all the time which can be locked so they wont really be an issue.

The Bichon Frise lives inside but she is adorable and very gentle and loving. And she doesn't really lose her hair or smell which is a bonus! I guess you'll always get some people put off by any pets but on the whole most people seem to see them as a positive thing. I hope so anyway :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
03-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Some people have allergies to dogs and cats and for that reason don't want an environment where it could set it off

On the other side there are parents who love the idea of their little one intergrating with a pet and they don't have the mess or the bills

I say go for it - don't forget to inform Ofsted though

mimo
03-09-2008, 04:25 PM
we got a weinerarmer puppy 3 years ago it has always been with the childminded children since it was 6 weeks old .I have never had a parent put off by him infact as someone else said i seem to get the children come to me to overcome their fear especia;lly as he is a huge dog. BUt then i dont look after babies this may make a differance

sarahstanbridge
03-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Hi, We got rascal a springer spaniel two months ago.

we have a springer. she is now 3 and half and has just about calmed down. we got her at 6 weeks old. they are very springy and do like to chew. ours went though so much - computer mouses, keyboards, videos, phones the children's toys, she even managed to kill the guinea pig bUT she is lovely now. best thing we ever got was her crate for when we go out.

good luck and stick with them. they are so lovely with children and very inteligent dogs making them easy to train.

:) :) :)

louise
03-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Thank you for that Sarah. He is a lovely dog and the house will seem empty with out him now. Neither me or hubbie have had a dog before so its been a learning curve for us. Both our aunts and my dh nan have so we get lots of advice. My aunt met him on sun and loved him and wants to take him to agility. He is 4 and half months, he was born on my sons bday. how cute is that? Where is west sussex are you? I'm in Broadwater.

Lou

sarahstanbridge
03-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Thank you for that Sarah. He is a lovely dog and the house will seem empty with out him now. Neither me or hubbie have had a dog before so its been a learning curve for us. Both our aunts and my dh nan have so we get lots of advice. My aunt met him on sun and loved him and wants to take him to agility. He is 4 and half months, he was born on my sons bday. how cute is that? Where is west sussex are you? I'm in Broadwater.

Lou

im in sompting,. very close to you:clapping:

trace
03-09-2008, 09:21 PM
i had 2 boxers when i started minding 12 years ago my views were and still are anyone who doesn't accept my dogs don't come to me. i now have a boxer pup and told the parents i have now that we were having her( 2 were with me when my lastone died) they were glad for me and the children love her. as for rescue alot won't let you as you have young children in your house its all according if the dog has already lived with kids. i would say go for one as it does teach the children how to care for a pet. good luck:thumbsup:

Sharlene
04-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Cant thank you all enough, he has agreed to def getting a puppy now :)

DP didnt want a spaniel as it wasnt 'manly enough' :rolleyes: but we have come to a compramise........we're going to get a labrador puppy :clapping:

Sharlene xx

Tatia
04-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Awwwww! Labs are great dogs! What colour you gettnig? Used to have a black one but I've always wanted a chocolate. We have a cocker spaniel now and he's the best-natured dog I've ever known.

Sharlene
04-09-2008, 10:16 AM
im getting a chocolate one!! :D

I love cocker spaniels as well :)

louise
04-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Sarah, Not that far at all. I use to live in sompting when i lived at home. My mum now lives in Lancing.

Sharlene, Tell you hubbie springers are manly if not my hubbie would of said no. He did want a lab though.

Good luck
Loux

Sharlene
04-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Lou - enquiring about a litter of lab x dalmation puppies. They're 2 weeks old so will be ready to leave the week after I get back ffrom my holiday!!! and the lady only wants £50 each!
Im speaking to DP tonight to see what he thinks hehe

kiddiwinks
04-09-2008, 04:12 PM
We have 4 dogs, 4 rabbits two parrots and two lizards.

It has not put any people of signing a contract but i did have 1 parent who already had both her children with me sort of complain when we had two puppies at the start of the year (We only had two dogs till then), there was a big thing about doing a pet policy for the 2 puppies thechildren are not allowed around any of the animals anyway. the dogs are not around the children at all during minding the dogs are either in a run at the bottom of the garden or in my bedroom. the parrots are in a room where children are not allowed. All the parents have sighed and requested for there children to be around all the animals and to allow the dogs out while minding there children, i just find it easier to keep the dogs away as you really dont know what a dog is going to do if a child treads or pulls tail of one. They do stay in kitchen as well but only if the two children not allowed with the pets are off.