PDA

View Full Version : Circle time

Tatia
02-09-2008, 08:18 AM
How many of us do Circle Time? I'm interested in what activities you do in Circle. Yesterday, we did a yoga/movement/creative fun/meditation activity. I had children aged 16 m, 3y, 4y, 8y (Xs 2) and 14y and was really pleased and happy that they all joined in and contributed. I put on a cd that has nature sounds and soft music

(((Hahaha! Sorry but as I'm typing this, I just had 2 of them come in and ask if we could do it again today! How's that for following a child's interest!:laughing: Just gotta wait for 2 more children to arrive and then we'll have a go again)

and we would first listen and identify what nature sounds we heard (rain, for example) and then we would be raindrops, pattering softly down to the ground and then be a crash of thunder then a heavy downpour. We also were birds and the sea (we were gentl;e raves rolling to the beach and then we were big crashing waves). Each child took turns offering a new move to try and they all really got into it.

At the end, I had them sit in Lotus position (knees folded, hands on knees, classic Yoga pose) and breathe in through the nose and think about happy thoughts and then breathe out (big gush of air) all the yucky feelings inside. My DD said "Hey, that's what I do to stop crying!" cos I use that breathing technique with her when she's having a tantrum :D ).

It was really fantastic and they were all so calm and in such good moods afterwards.

Can everyone give me examples of what they do cos I want the experience to be as varied and interesting as possible.:thumbsup:

sarah707
02-09-2008, 08:46 AM
We gathered 10 children round a birthday cake and sang 'Twinkle Twinkle little star'...

Is that what you have in mind?? :laughing:

SimplyLucy
02-09-2008, 08:49 AM
I use circle time with the musical instruments.

Each taking turns to show the others how they can make a sound and talking about the sound and volume etc.

Means you only get one instrument played at a time then! We do have a mad 20 seconds at the end where everyone gets to play as loud as possible though! (got to annoy the neighbours a little!)

Mollymop
02-09-2008, 09:01 AM
Sounds like fun Tatia!

My circle time is singing and musical instruments. That kind of thing.

wellybelly
02-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Yoga sounds great, i bet they all loved it. Where did you learn that?

I have lots of excited children normally so circle time is normally something i start and others join in as it gets more appealing. My favourite is opposit flash cards, which involve the children doing the actions eg tall and small, loud and quiet, asleep and awake. The little ones love this.

we also talk about things like people who help us, what we did over the holidays, what we are looking forward to at school.

Tatia
02-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the additional ideas! They're really brilliant!

Yoga sounds great, i bet they all loved it. Where did you learn that?
I've been practicing yoga (on an off) for years and it's something I've always done with my own kids. I don't have a qualification for teaching it and would never do any advanced poses with the children but as far as simple poses, it's amazing the way they respond to it. Frankly, a lot of what we did yesterday was just improvised dance or plain made up on the spot!:laughing:

wellybelly
02-09-2008, 09:34 AM
You've inspired me, im going to get a book. x

angeldelight
02-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Sounds like fun Tatia!

My circle time is singing and musical instruments. That kind of thing.

Same here

Sounds like you all had a great time Tatia

Angel xx

cher25
04-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I used to do yoga. 1 of my aunt's is a yoga teacher and she somehow managed to talk me and her daughter to go to her classes while we were at school. I have to admit though it was good, and my teacher's noticed a huge difference in me through doing it. (I was incredibly shy and always walked looking at the ground) My teacher's then asked my aunt to come into school to teach it. :rolleyes:
I never thought of doing it with young children though. That is a great idea Tatia. I might just use that. :) Infact ill ask my aunt for some ideas for doing it with children.

polobear1970
04-09-2008, 08:28 PM
great idea, and worth a try

Lisa