PDA

View Full Version : Older children playing unsupervised?

Cazz
31-08-2008, 11:46 AM
I've just read on another thread regarding Insurance that someone (Debbie?) has got her insurance with NCMA as they cover over 8's playing unsupervised in her cul-de-sac.

I didn't realise that you were allowed to let mindees off your property unsupervised or does that not apply because they are over 8? I live in a cul-de-sac too and my 10 year old twins play outside with the neighbours children most days but I have told them that mindees would not be allowed out there and that they would have to stay inside or in our garden to play with them.

I may be required to mind a 10 year old after school in the New Year so if her mum was happy to sign a permission form, does that mean that she could play in the cul-de-sac with my daughter and insurance would cover me in the event of an accident?

Carole x

Chatterbox Childcare
31-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi

I was told by NCMA that it I had written permission from the parents that this is okay. I look after children up to and including aged 14 at the moment and some of these walk home from school without me and this was why I started the enquiry.

For your own clarification I would email Ofsted and ask them the question and also your insurance company and then you have it in writing.

I also am writing a policy to cover me stating that I am not responsible for the child walking home until they are with me.

sarah707
31-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Good advice from Debbie.

I have a form which parents and child completes about walking home independently...

I think the original before tweaking came from www.bromleycma.org.uk :D

MissTinkerbell
31-08-2008, 02:25 PM
I wasn't aware of this either. My 2 over-8s asked if they could bring their bikes to ride up and down the road (we live down a dead-end very quiet road) and I said no (even thou let DD play with her friends from down the road) because I thought that I wouldn't be covered if anything happened. Will have to write to Ofsted and NCMA and see.

Thanks for that.

Nicki L
31-08-2008, 02:45 PM
I have written permission for my 6 yer old mindee to play outside. I was told on my EYFS introduction that this is one of the changes when EYFS comes in - she will not be able to play outside even with written permission.

Chatterbox Childcare
31-08-2008, 02:47 PM
I have written permission for my 6 yer old mindee to play outside. I was told on my EYFS introduction that this is one of the changes when EYFS comes in - she will not be able to play outside even with written permission.

Even with parent permission to go outside under 8 you do NOT have any insurance with NCMA or MM. MM don't cover any unaccompanied playing outside at any age, even with permission.

angeldelight
31-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Sorry I dont care if my insurance does allow it or if the parents give me permission

When a child is in my care I do not allow them to play outside unsupervised

What would happen if there was an accident ? How would I get to them if I was indoors with all the little ones?

What would happen if they wondered off to their friends up the road even if I had said they could not ? All things that kids do when they are playing and forget

What if they ran into the road chasing a ball ?

I just would not rest so prefer the children to be where I can see them - with me !

It is something I always explain to a parent of an older child and they have always been fine with it

Angel xx

Nicki L
31-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Sorry I dont care if my insurance does allow it or if the parents give me permission

What would happen if there was an accident ? How would I get to them if I was indoors with all the little ones?

What would happen if they wondered off to their friends up the road even if I had said they could not ? All things that kids do when they are playing and forget

I just would not rest so prefer the children to be where I can see them - with me !

It is something I always explain to a parent of an older child and they have always been fine with it

Angel xx

I agree - i have written permission for mine as the mother did it for her last childminder, she has not been out yet though. Everytime she has asked i have found something else for them to do. I dont feel comfortable with her outside.

Chatterbox Childcare
31-08-2008, 02:58 PM
I agree - i have written permission for mine as the mother did it for her last childminder, she has not been out yet though. Everytime she has asked i have found something else for them to do. I dont feel comfortable with her outside.

I understand where you and Angel are coming from but mine are older and understand rules.

Hard on teenagers isn't it?

Nicki L
31-08-2008, 03:03 PM
I understand where you and Angel are coming from but mine are older and understand rules.

Hard on teenagers isn't it?

True - mine are only 6 so big difference. x

disney
31-08-2008, 03:37 PM
teenagers or 6 im sorry whilst they are in my care they would not be allowed to go off unsupervised i completly agree with angel for all the reasons she said and more ( their are some werdos out their ) i dont even think i would be happy if an older child was turning up alone as i would be worried if they were late or worst what iuf they didnt turn up at all :eek: this would be hard when i have little ones in my care x

Chatterbox Childcare
31-08-2008, 03:40 PM
teenagers or 6 im sorry whilst they are in my care they would not be allowed to go off unsupervised i completly agree with angel for all the reasons she said and more ( their are some werdos out their ) i dont even think i would be happy if an older child was turning up alone as i would be worried if they were late or worst what iuf they didnt turn up at all :eek: this would be hard when i have little ones in my care x

My policy states that they are not my responsbility until they are here and they all have a mobile phone to call me.

Remember all these children are out and about when in their parents care. Yes I can see your points but they need to grow and become adults at some stage.

kindredspirits
31-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I also wouldn't let older children outside of my supervision - but thats because when i went to a cm when i was about 9/10 i used to leave the lounge window of my house open (a few doors down) and climb in thru the window, invite my friends into an empty house, raid the fridge, watch tv and nick money from my mums handbag (i had a terrible childhood so don't think too badly of me!!) what i'm saying is i'm wise to how cunning an older child can be!! ;)

cher25
31-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Up until 2 weeks before the summer holidays i only had a 7 year old mindee. She couldn't and still cant play in my back garden at the moment as we are doing it out and have recently had grass laid. She wanted to be able to play out with her friends outside my house. I got written permission from her mam and at my inspection the inspector was really pleased with that. However i always opened the blinds fully and had the window open and front door wide open so i could see and hear her, and she knew not to go out of my sight (the road is at the back of the house). More often than not though i was outside with her. But now i have young mindee's aswell i won't allow her to play outside unless i am out there with them all.

disney
01-09-2008, 08:57 AM
i suposse we all have are own opinions on this :) and thats fine but from my point of view i just wouldnt feel comfotable with this if an older one was late or did not turn up at all :eek: it would im sure have an effect on my younger ones ! i had an older one run off once and that was hard trying to find her with the little ones :blush: never again x

sarah707
01-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Like Debbie, I have a number of older ones who walk independently from the High school...

They would be walking to an empty house if they moaned about being here.

By that age I need to give them the freedom to grow up, mature and be responsible.

I wouldn't dream of keeping my own High Schoolers in the house and neither would I with the minded ones.

It's why they like coming here... because I treat them with some respect for their age.

Of course they have mobile phones and behaviour agreements and i have full parental permission in place. :D

Chatterbox Childcare
01-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Like Debbie, I have a number of older ones who walk independently from the High school...

They would be walking to an empty house if they moaned about being here.

By that age I need to give them the freedom to grow up, mature and be responsible.

I wouldn't dream of keeping my own High Schoolers in the house and neither would I with the minded ones.

It's why they like coming here... because I treat them with some respect for their age.

Of course they have mobile phones and behaviour agreements and i have full parental permission in place. :D

I agree - no why didn't I write that!

Cazz
01-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your replies. I don't really know where I am with this one to be honest! I can see both sides of the argument. I'm having trouble at the moment trying to decide whether to allow my own children to go places unsupervised with friends as I know they have to be given the chance to have some freedom and grow up, but at the same time there are some dodgy people around.

I just don't know if I would be comfortable allowing a mindee outside my house unsupervised - maybe if I didn't have any other mindees so that I can keep a closer eye on her but as Angel says if you have younger mindees you have to be responsible for all of them. Then again it wouldn't be fair on the older mindee to be allowed to play out the front only on certain days when it's convenient for me!

I think this is something I will deal with when it crops up but I'm probably leaning towards saying no playing in the cul-de-sac (although it's very quiet and safe - I'm thinking more of accidents). However, walking home from school is something I wouldn't have a problem with for older children if the parents have given their consent, after all you know what time you're expecting them to arrive.

Carole x

Rubybubbles
01-09-2008, 09:30 PM

It is something I always explain to a parent of an older child and they have always been fine with itAngel xx

I feel the same angel, don't get me wrong my 6 yr old is allowed to go out and play, but not when I'm working because I wouldn't rest!

I feel if I'm getting paid for working, I should be working iyswim! and tbh the older children I have looked after loved all the activies ect and having loads of attention, I feel it doesn't happen much in this age of technolgy:p my own children play more with me when I'm working, otherwize like now when I'm not working they go and play upstairs:( ,

Pipsqueak
01-09-2008, 09:41 PM
My kids go of out and play (age 10 and 8) but I used to let mindees (over the age of 8) go out to play but its a practice I think I will now stop. I couldn't get peace of mind when they (mindees) went out - I was always thinking I was neglecting my duties towards them, what if's would spring to mind - its different with your own children.

Also - the parents, regardless of their assurances that they had spoken with their children and that their child is responsible etc will be the first to blame you for allowing them out.

Thats just my take on it - I haven't got any older ones at the moment so we'll see in the future.