PDA

View Full Version : Red

venus89
31-08-2008, 08:10 AM
As I start up again properly tomorrow, after an 8 hour week throughout the holidays, I am now, with expert forward planning, beginning to panic about the state of the house, my lack of readiness etc. I did, however, draw up a medium term plan during the holidays - this half terms theme is 'colours' (woohoo) starting tomorrow with red.
All my babies are between 1 and 2 years old, most of them between 12 and 18 months, so my planning is not that detailed but I figured we could have fire engine and apple pictures out to colour, play with fire engines etc, collage of red pictures, play with coloured water, eat red food..... I have 2 new ones starting this week.

Is that enough planning for this age group? Is there anything blindingly obvious I'm missing?

sarah707
31-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Bit young for planning activities like that tbh ...

But if a child turns up in a red t-shirt then it's an excellent idea to say ...

So, what else is red? Should we find some red things in the house? Should we colour some red pictures? Here's a book with a fire engine in it... oh look, Clifford is on Tv...

Of course, another way round it is to speak to parents and set up a day a week when they all come in the same colour trousers or t-shirt ... and organise a theme day! Yellow is easy - banana for snack, post its for scribbling on, sand colourings and play etc...

Have fun! :D

venus89
31-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks Sarah - I always feel really silly planning things for them, but I figure it's best to show willing, and nice for the parents to see I'm trying - and good practice for when they're older.
The cluing is really for my oldest, she's just got into using stickers and sticking random stuff on bits of paper so I figured I'd extend that. But, yes, if I include finding red things then hopefully we'll all be happy.

I'm looking forward to yellow, as you say nice and simple. And we're doing it the same week as the Vietnamese Moon Festival so I'll be making little lanterns with them (or trying to!) and moon cakes. Black's the week we're doing Halloween and we're going to do Divali when we do Rainbow, at the end of the theme. Aren't I getting the hang of this?! :clapping:

sarah707
31-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Those ideas sound brilliant! :clapping: