PDA

View Full Version : Toys for under 3's

brighter
31-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Hello,

I have a three and a one year old of my own. I also have a new mindee child starting with me tomorrow. My two boys love playing with those matchbox toy cars for their toy garage. As my new mindee child is only 22 months do I have to remove all those cars while he is here? As they are not suitable for under 3's or do any of you know if they can play with them under my supervision?

many thanks
Nadine
:blush:

Spangles
31-08-2008, 08:09 AM
My 3 year old is obsessed with cars and has loads.

When the 11mth old is here I only allow him to play with the sturdier cars and he keeps them away from the baby as much as possible. I also make sure that I am keeping a very close eye at all times as should a wheel or wing mirror etc. come off it would be very easy to be swallowed and sometimes it leaves a spike which is very dangerous too.

However, I don't want to stop him playing with them as he loves them so much.

All the flimsier, cheaper cars which are more likely to break are kept in his bedroom.

The more expensive, well-made cars are downstairs. I have also bought some cars suitable for babies for her to have herself.

You could add this to your household/toy risk assessment.

Other people may ban the cars but I don't think this would be fair so I am just very vigilant!

brighter
31-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Oh, thank you that is great!
I was worried I had to ban everything which might not be suitable for under 3's which I thought a ridicoulous task as my own baby plays with it. I will sort out the cars with him later some for upstairs and some for downstairs great idea thank you!

Nadine
:clapping:

sarah707
31-08-2008, 08:26 AM
I have always allowed my children to have special toys and small things in their bedrooms.

It's hard enough for them to share with the mindees without everything potentially getting put out of reach or broken.

Hope it all goes well tomorrow! :D

Chatterbox Childcare
31-08-2008, 03:24 PM
I think if you took your sons toys away he will resent the mindees.

I would keep some "special" ones in his room so they don't get broken, with others of his downstairs and buy new ones for the mindees that you son can choose and play with also.