PDA

View Full Version : Emergency contacts / sick days & Eyfs

sarah707
30-08-2008, 06:48 PM
We've talked about these a lot recently as we've been updating our policies and procedures... we've said that emergency contacts do not have to be other childminders or even necessarily CRB checked because in a true emergency you cannot always pick and choose... but we've not really talked about what happens if we can't work...

Ofsted have now given us some guidance...

'Childminders must make arrangements with other childcare providers or with parents for occasions on which the registered person is not able to provide childcare.'

This, to me, covers both emergency situations and times when you or your child might be ill or needing an occasional day to go to an appointment...

It does not say you have to give the parent the phone numbers of all childminders in your area... it does not say you have to get on the phone and arrange alternative cover (Blaze are you reading this?!?)...

It says you and parents need to reach a mutually acceptable agreement on what happens to the children if, for whatever reason, you can't work ...

So put this on your 'List of things to talk about when a parent visits' ... and get the parent to sign to confirm what you have agreed :D

Spangles
30-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks Sarah - you're a star!

ajs
30-08-2008, 06:54 PM
thanks for that sarah
i will add it to my checklist that the parents sign as if it's not long enough

mummyroysof3
30-08-2008, 07:08 PM
i have in my childminder sickness policy about providing the parent with a list of local childminders to find out if they have a space but it is the parents responsability to arange care in the event that i am unable to, is that what they mean?

charlotte x

sarah707
30-08-2008, 07:39 PM
i have in my childminder sickness policy about providing the parent with a list of local childminders to find out if they have a space but it is the parents responsability to arange care in the event that i am unable to, is that what they mean?

charlotte x

Yes I think so... it's about coming to an arrangement that everyone is happy with if you take time off.

What you are doing is what most people do I imagine and so long as parent is ok with that, then it's fine... just make sure, since Ofsted are flagging it up, that you note somewhere that it's been discussed :D

ajs
30-08-2008, 07:46 PM
playing devil's advocate again

but
why is it our problem who looks after the children if we are too ill to work
if i am ill surely it's not my problem but the parent's
different if i am just taking time off then i can understand helping to find cover

sarah707
30-08-2008, 07:48 PM
playing devil's advocate again

but
why is it our problem who looks after the children if we are too ill to work
if i am ill i don't want to be fussing about who has someone elses children

I totally agree... but ours is not to question why :D

Blaze
30-08-2008, 08:58 PM
LOL...well remembered...& he swore at me for my trouble!:eek:

Personally I 'm just rejigging a policy stating that should I be unavailable for work it is up to the parent's to sort out alternative arrangements & having a list of local CM's & their contact details in my portfolio...at the time of signing contracts parent's get copies of all policies & info sheets & have to sign for them (the cost is covered by a one off admin fee i charge)...hopefully this will keep OFSTED happy!:rolleyes: :D

littletreasures
30-08-2008, 09:19 PM
If I am ill the parents take time off. I took a few days holiday during term time (parents are teachers) and asked my childminder friend if she could have the kids if Mum wanted her to. The children know her so well as we see each other 2/3 times each week.

Mum said go on holiday, but I will take the time off. I can't leave them with anyone but you!!

This is all well and good, but I feel guilty if I have to take time off through illness now. (which luckily is hardly ever, touch wood). Parents should have some sort of back up system in place as well as us.

ajs
30-08-2008, 09:37 PM
I totally agree... but ours is not to question why :D

sorry not you i am getting at sarah but the wording of the document but why isn't it our place to question them

i understand that if i am off due to holiday that it is only fair enough if i help the parents find someone else but if i or one of my family are ill then the families can sort themselves out

i will do as blaze does though and print a copy of the cis page for my area and give it to the parents with the policies but other than that i don't think it's my problem.