PDA

View Full Version : Visitors / intruders and the Eyfs

sarah707
30-08-2008, 06:35 PM
It states in the latest Ofsted documentation...

'Childminders must ensure that no one can enter the premises without the knowledge of a person who is caring for children on the premises'.

To me, this is saying either doors must be locked (not always possible if children are in and out / playing round the side of the house / near a low level gate etc) or...

You should consider alarms on all outside doors if there is a risk of an intruder getting through.

When Ofsted last came here, the inspector came to and knocked on the back door. One of the children answered and as they opened the door, the alarm went off... the inspector jumped out of her skin ... and the adults were immediately alerted to a visitor arriving... job done! :D

mummyroysof3
30-08-2008, 06:39 PM
i must be following you lol

i intend to keep front door locked and keys hung up out of reach of small children and the back door the same how does that sound?

if we playing in the garden i wont leave the children alone outside, im having a downstairs toilet put in the extesion that leads into the garden

charlotte x

FizzysFriends
30-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Ok the front door is ok but the back door is always open, but I have a 6ft fence around the garden and a padlocked gate, are they not classing that as secure?

Spangles
30-08-2008, 06:44 PM
My front door is always locked and chained with the key out of reach.

My back door is quite often locked but the back gate is always locked.

I'm not having alarms on my doors under any circumstances because I would be constantly panicking if they went off accidentally and it just seems unnecessary to me.

Seems ridiculous to me how they want you to keep all the doors and windows locked but also have fresh air and a comfortable temperature and free access to the outside? Duh!

ajs
30-08-2008, 06:50 PM
i have a lowish wall at the back of my garden but holly bushes and brambles are growing against it. and to be honest you can't even see that it is climbable from the garden so i don't intend to do any thing with it.
and i don't lock the door when i'm in but i do instinctivley drop the latch as i close it. a massive garden gate must be at least 7 foot that is kept permanatly padlocked
so other than the apples and the fact that it's rained so much the toys are unusable:eek: atm my garden is fine

charleyfarley
30-08-2008, 06:57 PM
My doors are always locked, front and back, keys out of reach.

We do have an alarm on the back door but this is part of the house alarm which obviously isn't on when mindees are here.

I don't even let my own children answer the door let alone mindees no matter what age, as you never know who is on the other side.

When we are in the garden I have a padlock on the gate and the children are never outside on their own

Hubby thinks I'm over the top sometimes, perhaps I should work for Ofsted :laughing:

Carol xx

donnahay0
30-08-2008, 07:33 PM
I would have loved to see the inspectors face when the alarm went off - perhaps we should all put one up just for that very purpose.

I did have these alarms on my doors but one has fallen off and as they are so loud I couldn't stand the noise. You can't open my doors from the outside without a key but I still lock them from inside to stop the little ones opening the door - I might invest in a door chain for this though.

Thanks Sarah, these tips are really useful - keeping us on our toes.

You could do a TIP OF THE DAY for us childminders - What do you say?

angeldelight
30-08-2008, 09:17 PM
My front door is always locked and chained with the key out of reach.

My back door is quite often locked but the back gate is always locked.

I'm not having alarms on my doors under any circumstances because I would be constantly panicking if they went off accidentally and it just seems unnecessary to me.

Seems ridiculous to me how they want you to keep all the doors and windows locked but also have fresh air and a comfortable temperature and free access to the outside? Duh!

Agree with you Lorri

Angel xx

balloon
31-08-2008, 07:08 AM
My front door is always locked so that is not a problem. My back door is always open in the summer though because it's the 'window' (patio doors) to the lounge. The back gate (6 foot) has bolts at the top (to stop kiddies getting out) and half way down (to stop intruders getting in) but I will not padlock either of the bolts as the gate is part of our fire escape should a fire start in the kitchen which is by the front door.

I am wondering in all the gardens that have padlocked gates, how would you escape in the event of a fire? (I'm just interested in case Ofsted think that mine should be padlocked)

sarah707
31-08-2008, 08:16 AM
I am wondering in all the gardens that have padlocked gates, how would you escape in the event of a fire? (I'm just interested in case Ofsted think that mine should be padlocked)

Ofsted will not tell you you must padlock your gate...

They will ask you how you intend to keep intruders out and decide if your deterrents are sufficient to keep children safe.

Work on how you sell what you do, don't change what you do if you think it's enough :D

flora
31-08-2008, 09:32 AM
my alarm sytem is 3 dogs :D

by the time you have driven slowly for half a mile to get to the house, the dogs have barked so much we know you are coming:laughing:

cos of the location of the house i have all the doors open all the time, kids are securely fenced in, but out location is...... well unique is one way to put it :laughing: normal rules just can't always be applied to us :D

Tatia
31-08-2008, 09:39 AM
My garden is 125 feet long so if there were a fire in front of the house and we exited at the back, the meeting point is down at the end. My back door is always open, too in the summer but the garden is securely fenced and the gate is locked.

I have a deadbolt lock at the very top on the front door. Pain in the bum for my family but has been very handy in keeping one little lad from escaping as he loves to open the front door!:eek:

Lincsminder
01-09-2008, 06:25 PM
my alarm sytem is 3 dogs :D

by the time you have driven slowly for half a mile to get to the house, the dogs have barked so much we know you are coming:laughing:

cos of the location of the house i have all the doors open all the time, kids are securely fenced in, but out location is...... well unique is one way to put it :laughing: normal rules just can't always be applied to us :D

oh that sounds lovely, do you fancy a swap mines like a building site at the moment.

aims
01-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Front door locked, keys out of reach. Back door mainly open, if not, it's closed but unlocked.

My back garden is secure though, and as a solution to the padlock I have actually put a bike lock on my gate with a combination lock so I don't actually have to think about picking up any keys in the event of an emergency.

Heaven Scent
02-09-2008, 09:29 AM
My front door is locked and back doors are locked when children are playing inside except patio doors in good weather both side gates are kept closed the one we rarely is kept locked with a pad lock and the other has a bolt at the top which can only be opened from the inside and by an adult. We are not an end house and the rear garden is surrounded by 8ft fence and 2X 8ft hedges.

I don't have an alarm on the front door because I had one at my last house and it drove me potty so had it turned off when my children got a bit older and we don't play at the front of the house as the garden is not secure.

I feel I've done as much as I can do to to safeguard the children and the setting from intruders and to keep the children secure in the garden plus allowing for swift escape in the case of an emergency.