PDA

View Full Version : HIV Aids experience

Bushpig
30-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Hi all,

Just a question. I have included my volunteer work with orphans, many of whom were infected with HIV Aids, on my childminding website. A friend has told me she thinks I should take it off.

What do you think? I do not mention it much, but do mention it as it is childcare experience, and a very valuable one at that in my opinion.

Minstrel
30-08-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm guessing your friend has said that as she is worried parents may consider you a risk.
If you wish to keep it on there why not point out to any parents that you have since been tested (which i assume you have) and have a clean bill of health.
When we have our medicals from GP when we reg is this not one of the things they would indicate should you be HIV Positive?

Bushpig
30-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks, I hadn't thought that someone might think I had it! :eek: :eek: :eek: Am 100% clean of course. We take all necessary precautions when working with the children.

Maybe I should take it off, I wouldn't want to concern anyone unecessarily. This is from when I lived in SA, and people there work amongst these kids a lot, so is a non issue there. Having an AIDS test is a prerequisite for insurances etc. nowadays there.

Minstrel
30-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Most people would consider this wonderful and worthwhile experienece (as i do btw) but sometimes ppl arent very rational when it comes to their children ( ie MMR debate springs to mind) and AIDS seems to be a topic that if you arent very well informed it can lead you to make decisions that might not make sense.

And after all that i hope this makes sense!

sarah707
30-08-2008, 03:16 PM
I think Hiv and Aids are emotive and much misunderstood subjects.

People hear about high profile deaths and they know that Aids kills...

It makes them feel uncomfortable that children are dying from something they either don't want to think about at all or they want to believe only affects a small proportion of the world's population.

People do not like to feel uncomfortable... especially where children are concerned.

Annie_T
30-08-2008, 03:20 PM
i think its great you done this type of work hun, i can see your friends point of view but also i see yours, i would state you have had the relivent tests to show you have no infection of the dieases. and the letter to be placed in porfolio

i know how people act towards you if they think you have one (after leaving bf i was told he had hiv - tested and tests can back with nothing found, year later i was told to have hep tests as he also had that .. tho my hiv tests had tested one anyhow)

Minstrel
30-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Thats awful hun. Must have been a really worrying time for you.

Also not sure if its the same everwhere in the country but here they do a routine HIV test when pregnant( along with all the others) when you have your first blood taken at about 10 weeks. Obviously so they can take the necessary precautions to stop baby getting it ie no breastfeeding.

Bushpig
30-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I have left the info re me working with orphans, but taken off the Aids bit. Last thing I would want to do is make people uncomfortable!

Minstrel
30-08-2008, 03:27 PM
I think that is a good compromise!:)

Bushpig
30-08-2008, 03:27 PM
i think its great you done this type of work hun, i can see your friends point of view but also i see yours, i would state you have had the relivent tests to show you have no infection of the dieases. and the letter to be placed in porfolio

i know how people act towards you if they think you have one (after leaving bf i was told he had hiv - tested and tests can back with nothing found, year later i was told to have hep tests as he also had that .. tho my hiv tests had tested one anyhow)

Oh Annie :( Not pleasant at all.

Bushpig
30-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Thats awful hun. Must have been a really worrying time for you.

Also not sure if its the same everwhere in the country but here they do a routine HIV test when pregnant( along with all the others) when you have your first blood taken at about 10 weeks. Obviously so they can take the necessary precautions to stop baby getting it ie no breastfeeding.

Yes, no breastfeeding and preferably a caesarian section too - many kids catch it from a natural birth. But caesarians are taboo in black South African culture. All comes down to educating them about the risks.

I will never forget - 2 little brothers, twins... one had caught it, the other not... through natural birth. Both orphans. The one was happy, eyes white, smiling, ate all his food... the other had yellow eyes, unhappy, sallow look, didn't eat, skinny... so sad. He died a few months after I was there last.

Pedagog
30-08-2008, 03:32 PM
I would maybe just say that you worked with Orphans and not mention the HIV/AIDS.

Minstrel
30-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Poor little kiddies.
I tell you i cant even watch Comic Relief or Children in Need- i end up blubbing the whole night!! Even cry at the Great Ormond Street advert!

Bushpig
30-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I am like you Amanda. Blub so easily! I sit there wailing at the telly.

And what they show re the kids is so real and not put on for the advert (one of my hubby's colleagues commented as much and I could have decked him!:angry: ).

Minstrel
30-08-2008, 04:00 PM
I know i have been to SA twice now and although not had any direct dealings like yourself just seeing the LO's is enough:(

Bushpig
30-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Amanda, whereabouts did you go in SA? :)

Spangles
30-08-2008, 06:39 PM
I volunteered with an AIDs/HIV help service and haven't experienced any negativity from anyone about it at all. I just explain to them how hard it is to actually develop HIV yourself and the ways you can be exposed. People are normally quite accepting about it these days although there are the few who are very scared of it still.

I think you've made a sensible compromise by not mentioning it on your site.

Minstrel
31-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Went in 2005 to Cape Town and in 1999 to Howick not far from Durban x

balloon
31-08-2008, 07:02 PM
For what its worth, I think you made a very good decision taking off the HIV and Aids, but but leaving on the working with orphans.

People may well think twice about employing you "just in case the tests missed something".

Admirable work btw, must have been both extremely hard to bear and very rewarding at the same time.

Annie_T
31-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Oh Annie :( Not pleasant at all.

no but its in the past and i was good enough get tests, unlike some. Ive kept result papers as welll so if ever brought up i can prove it (tho they may moan out how old it is etc)

Bushpig
31-08-2008, 10:54 PM
I volunteered with an AIDs/HIV help service and haven't experienced any negativity from anyone about it at all. I just explain to them how hard it is to actually develop HIV yourself and the ways you can be exposed. People are normally quite accepting about it these days although there are the few who are very scared of it still.

I think you've made a sensible compromise by not mentioning it on your site.

Thank you Lorri :)

There are many misconceptions due to ignorance, yes. And I do think there's a place to be scared of it, as it can affect anyone really, it's just much more prolific in some countries.

Bushpig
31-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Went in 2005 to Cape Town and in 1999 to Howick not far from Durban x

I know both, although Cape Town a lot better, was born there and lived there for 7 years prior to moving to England. I have 2 pals from Howick, and another friend is A Youth Pastor there now.

Bushpig
31-08-2008, 10:57 PM
For what its worth, I think you made a very good decision taking off the HIV and Aids, but but leaving on the working with orphans.

People may well think twice about employing you "just in case the tests missed something".

Admirable work btw, must have been both extremely hard to bear and very rewarding at the same time.

I agree Bluemoon. Best be safe than sorry :)
It was incredibly rewarding, yes, and I hope to do even more so one day.

Bushpig
31-08-2008, 10:58 PM
no but its in the past and i was good enough get tests, unlike some. Ive kept result papers as welll so if ever brought up i can prove it (tho they may moan out how old it is etc)

I am sure that'll be fine :)

Minstrel
01-09-2008, 08:23 AM
I know both, although Cape Town a lot better, was born there and lived there for 7 years prior to moving to England. I have 2 pals from Howick, and another friend is A Youth Pastor there now.

We had a great time both times. First was for my cousins wedding so we stayed with his fiancees family in Howick and second went with my parents and it was my eldest sons first hol abroad. Although i had to drive out there and was terrified of getting hijacked the whole time!!!!