PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about leaving childminding for good

Julia
30-08-2008, 10:51 AM
:angry: Ive had enough.

I told parents I would be having my bi-annual payrise 6 weeks ago, it comes into effect next week so people have made arrangments to pay me and they are all getting a bit snippy.

My service has improved (thanks to practice reflection) I am starting to do the foundation phase planning for September, I have produced a newsletter to keep them up to date with what we do and much more.

All week Ive had parents give me a hard time, give me dirty looks and question my service.

It seems like the more I try the more they disrespect me.

Ive applied for a good job and if i get it Im off!

Id like to see if they could find another childminder, who will pick up and drop off their children from home and put up with their childrens behaviour

Paula J
30-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Oh pet that is really bad I am hating doing all this extra work but do feel it will improve what I do!! My parents dont see the point and simply want a home from home environment but they are very supportive, I too pick up and drop of and sometimes feel taken for granted but then I get a bunch of flowers or something to say thankyou. Some parents dont get that you are just as entitled to a pay rise as they are. I hope if the job is what you want that you get it but dont do it because you have p..... parents off they'll get over it:) Paula

Minstrel
30-08-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry to hear you have such ungrateful parents.
Perhaps its not the job that needs changing but the parents!

Good luck honey whatever you decide to do x

sue m
30-08-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm so sorry you are so angry and upset but quite understand. How dare they get funny with us. I've been a childminder since 1987 - on and off - and have had the odd parent who has been like that occasionally and it is very upsetting. The parents couldn't work and earn THEIR money without us. Good luck whatever you decide from me too. x

LOOPYLISA
30-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Just want to say good luck in whatever you decide to do x:thumbsup:

donnahay0
30-08-2008, 12:06 PM
I agree with Minstrel.

Wishing you all the best whatever you choose - keep us up-to-date.

CCJD
30-08-2008, 01:13 PM
This must make you feel awful.

Although there are some negative aspects to the EYFS the one thing that I really hope arises from this requirement to justify on paper what we do and how our settings benefit children is that as a profession we are seen more as professionals.

Most of us are already more qualified than nursery/pre-school staff / we generally have more life experience and give a valuable and professional service. And yet we are seen very much as somewhere between the cleaner and the hired help. (certainly in our area anyway).

I must stress that I have been very lucky and my parents have always viewed me as playing a vital part in their ability to earn money - both from ease of leaving their children, my flexibility and the care I provide - but this is not the general publics perception of a childminder.

Most parents pay less than the national minimum wage for the care of the precious being in their lives and I understand the need to keep the cost of childcare at a level that justifies your average person going to work but I cannot imagine how I would feel in your situation - where justifiably you have put your fees up and they have issue with this. Most people receive pay rises each year - do they refuse theirs on moral grounds?

Oh dear - rant over.

Trouble
30-08-2008, 08:40 PM
i dont blame you good luck your better than them:thumbsup:

Spangles
30-08-2008, 10:14 PM
It's such a shame that they are treating you that way.

What about if you give them a performance questionnaire to complete, maybe they would be reminded what they are receiving for their money and how much you are worth it?

I don't blame you for feeling the way you do, we put a lot of care and effort into our jobs and treat the mindees as well as our own children and to not be appreciated for it is really heartbreaking.

Good luck in what you decide to do.

x

Chatterbox Childcare
30-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Wow they really must of upset you for you to take such drastic action.

I have just had contract reviews and only 1 queried the rate out of 14.

Hard luck and I hope you are happy whatever you decide.

PaulaR
31-08-2008, 09:14 AM
I would just say, keep your registration up becuase in 6 months time, after a break you may want to come back to it.
As already said, you sound like you have horrible parents as we all do from time to time. But some parents ar lovelyy.I think you just need a break. It would be a shame to waste all your expereince if you gave it up compleely

Julia
31-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Hi guys

Thanks for your support, it means a lot to me.

I said yesterday to my sister, maybe its about time I start to cut some dead wood from my service.... If 1 or 2 parents can not apprechiate what I do for them, maybe they need to go and find another childminder/nursery.

Ive decided that one set of parents will be getting their notice on Friday and another set will be given another chance. Unfortunatly I need to replace those children ASAP because I have a Mortgage to pay, but I will start advertising straight away and hopefully can replace them all.:clapping:

If I get offered the job, who knows i might just cut my losses and leave, I will keep my registration up though for afterschool and holidays.

Thanks again

Julia

sassy
31-08-2008, 10:58 AM
yes me too
i gave up childminding last friday and i feel so relieved

not because of parents but alot of issues, i got a job at my very local pre school and start wed, i am scared but very excited

no more getting up at 6 am, to have a child dropped off, then going out at 7 to collect another one, i felt used, lonley, and lots of other things

i loved the children i cared for but it wasn't the right job for me

good luck with whatever yoy decide to do, and do it for yourself and your family

i will keep my reg up to date and can come back to it later on, if this job is not right for me,

i love this site and will still have to come on and chat

i will be doing the EYFS at work, and still working with children, but i will be out of my house and have other adults to talk to x

sassy x x x

Chatterbox Childcare
31-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi guys

Thanks for your support, it means a lot to me.

I said yesterday to my sister, maybe its about time I start to cut some dead wood from my service.... If 1 or 2 parents can not apprechiate what I do for them, maybe they need to go and find another childminder/nursery.

Ive decided that one set of parents will be getting their notice on Friday and another set will be given another chance. Unfortunatly I need to replace those children ASAP because I have a Mortgage to pay, but I will start advertising straight away and hopefully can replace them all.:clapping:

If I get offered the job, who knows i might just cut my losses and leave, I will keep my registration up though for afterschool and holidays.

Thanks again

Julia

Why not get another child before you give notice?

Have you sat down with the parents and done a review and explained why the rates are changing?

Good luck with whatever you decide.