PDA

View Full Version : Divali fudge

tulip0803
30-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Divali this year is the 28th October and I found a recipe for Divali banana fudge. Children do need a lot of help and some bits can only be done by adults but something different

Ingredients
1 banana
2 cardamom pods
25g marg
50g semolina
50g ground almonds
50g brown sugar
4 tablespoons of hot water

Method

look closely at the cardomon pods and talk about shape and texture. Cut open a pod and look at the seeds and talk about the smell. Pour a little semolina out for the children to feel. Do the same with other ingredients. Talk about the recipe.
Let the children peal the banana, break it into small pieces and mash with a fork.
Remove the cardomon seeds from the pods and crush in a mortar and pestle (or plastic bag and rolling pin) and add to the banana.
Melt the marg in a saucepan.
Add the semolina and cook gently for 2 mins.
Remove from the heat and cool.
Stir in the banana mix, ground almonds, sugar & water. Mix well.
Return to the heat and bring to the boil.
Stir continuously until the mixture thickens and comes away from the sides of the saucepan.
Grease a shallow tin and pour the mixture in.
Leave in the fridge to set for about 2 hours. Compare fudge before and after chilling.
Cut into small squares.

Links with Early Learning Goals
PSED - Have a developing respect for their own and other people cultures. Work as part of a group, taking turns and sharing fairly.
KUW - Begin to know about cultures and beliefs of others.investigate ingredients by using all their senses, look for similarities, differences and change.
PD - handle tools, objects, construction & malleable materials safely and with increasing control. Use a range of small and large equipment.
CLL - Interact with others, extend vocabulary
MD - wieghts and numbers

From The Little Book of Cooking Together - Lorraine Frankish (Featherstone Education)

Chatterbox Childcare
30-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Thank you for this. I will plan it in

Pudding Girl
30-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks, it sounds delish :)

angeldelight
30-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks for that Julia

I will give it a go

Angel xx

ajs
30-08-2008, 09:26 PM
thanks for that
i am just doing some planning up to the end of the year so that will be added to it

xx

Monkey1
31-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Thank you Julia, will add that to my planning!

PaulaR
31-08-2008, 09:23 AM
thank you that was very kind of you writing all that for us. I will be doing that.

Nicki L
31-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Thank you for that, and especially for the links to EYFS, thats one of the areas i am having problems with:laughing:

Tatia
04-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Sounds yummy! And yet another reason to use my ELC measuring scales!:clapping:

tashaleee
12-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Sounds great... thanks for that :)

hello kitty
26-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the recipes will try that out next week.

Just got to amend my Tescos order to include the cardamon pods! :blush:

breezy
26-10-2008, 07:18 PM
thanks, but am i the only one that thinks it sounds yucky?:laughing:

Twinkles
26-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks m'dear will get that done on Tues :thumbsup:

I'm working with two other minders over half term and we will have many children between us ( a lot over eight ) that should keep them occupied for a while.

jibberjitz
16-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Only just seen this but plan to make it this year as we we're invited for Diwali celebrations at our neighbours :thumbsup: