PDA

View Full Version : Why do they do it

lolatallulah
29-08-2008, 07:35 PM
I look after a 4 year old who is a handful but he knows the house rules fairly well and is generally good at sticking to them EXCEPT of course when mum arrives to collect him and them he is like a tasmanian devil trying his luck at everything & anything. Tonight for example I had not even fully opened the front door to her & he's there ready to grab at the sleeping kitten, he then goes into the kitchen (having opened the stairgate) opens 1 of my cupboards "i want crisps!" :littleangel: Ha!

And this is an every day thing.

It drives me mad & although I am really fond of this little boy I can't help but curse him a little when he's safely out the door! :censored:

LOOPYLISA
29-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Little monkey:laughing:

CCJD
29-08-2008, 08:00 PM
I once had a little girl like this . She was in fact an angel all day but the minute mum turned up she would grab the cat, hit my son - anything to be mega naughty. I spoke to mum and we agreed that I would get her completely ready-shoes,coat the works- before mum came and I would literally shove her out the door and mum wouldn't come in- this way the little devil didn't have time to think about what she could get up to and didn't feel this confusion and frustration that seemed to occur when mum and me were in the same room. My sympathies are with you on this one!it's such a shame as it ends your day on a bad note. Good luck.

lolatallulah
29-08-2008, 08:05 PM

sue m
29-08-2008, 08:09 PM
I've always said this. I started minding in 1987 and had some fabulous kids who were as good as gold all day until Mum came and then they were just horrible and took no notice of me whatsoever. Practically every one of them was the same. The little boy I have now is actually good, his Dad picks him up and he always sits down for a chat for 10 mins and L is really good so I don't mind Dad staying a while. I used to look daggers at the children when they were being naughty but they didn't care and I always told them off and one used to stand and blow raspberries at me cos Mum was there. :censored:

Chatterbox Childcare
29-08-2008, 09:25 PM
I think that we all have had one like this. My answer was to have him ready at the door with shoes and coat on and bag in hand when mum arrived.

2 weeks in and the boy understood and didn't misbehave. If he did I would repeat the routine.

trace
29-08-2008, 09:45 PM
yes this is a problem for most childminders, i have been minding for 12 yrs and have had many who showoff when mum comes i have one at the moment who loves my dog and calls her all day stroking and cuddling her when she is lying down, mum turns up and she hits and kicks her :angry: this really annoys me especially when mum laughs and says she loves the dog doesn't see. i think its hard as you feel like who should be telling the child off me or mum as its still in my house and i think the children are aware of this.

sue m
29-08-2008, 09:55 PM
I always found the child never took any notice of neither Mum or me when we were both together and they were being collected.

Hannahlg
31-08-2008, 08:42 AM
we have had this problem 2 , but if the children do anything there shouldnt be doing when parents are here i stull tell them off and there still listen.

a few weeks before the six weeks hoilday a 3 year who we look after well he has a thing about not liking shorts and t-shirts and only wont to wear jeans and jumper etc. Now one day he wonted get of the car etc when mum got him out he trying to get back in etc. I ended up going to to mums car with the other childre nand i got hold of them and told him to stand up etc and to behave himself well the mum said thankyou for shouting at him. He got told of by me my mum and the his mum that day. he was making me let geting him and other children to school and pre-school making mum late for work

Spangles
31-08-2008, 08:52 AM
I have this problem with my own son!

All day (well, most of the day!) he's really, really lovely but when the baby's mum comes to collect her he goes over-excited and a real pain. Once she's gone he's back to normal again!

Funny thing is, he's absolutely fine when the baby's dropped off in the morning, it's just pick up time!

Makes me worry what on earth the mum must think but I'm sure she knows he's not like that all day! Hope so! Ha ha!

Trouble
31-08-2008, 10:36 AM
i would have him ready with coat and shoes on at the door when she is due to come and explain before hand that this is the way it will be from now on so he knows its not acceptable she will understand just say its for health and safety reasons ie thinking he can run riot when she turns up, just say its not fair on the others.

good luck

jellytot
01-09-2008, 12:19 PM
i have a LO just the same, he is 2 at end of sept, he starts being silly and rolling round on the floor, hitting his mum and brother, starts getting toys out and throwing them around and on and on. i will try the having him ready as soon as mum arrives, but she does like to stay and chat, regardless will have a chat with her and see what she says

son77
01-09-2008, 08:50 PM
I have this problem with my own son!

All day (well, most of the day!) he's really, really lovely but when the baby's mum comes to collect her he goes over-excited and a real pain. Once she's gone he's back to normal again!

Funny thing is, he's absolutely fine when the baby's dropped off in the morning, it's just pick up time!

Makes me worry what on earth the mum must think but I'm sure she knows he's not like that all day! Hope so! Ha ha!

My DD is just the same.

Morning normally fairly quiet, evening & she's fierce! Shouting, jumping on furniture & just very demanding. Stuff that she never usually does, Im sure they do it to embarras us!

Such little :littleangel: