PDA

View Full Version : before school activities

Polly2
11-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Morning all

I was just wondering what kind of activites do you put out for the children in the mornings?

I have some children from 8-9 then drop off at play group. A couple of them seem to get a bit bored. Was wondering what you all do?

I have toys out, they can watch tv, play dough, drawing.

Any other ideas welcome :)

Thanks

sarah707
11-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Much the same! Plus food which takes up 10/15 minutes - sometimes we sing songs and I've taught them some card games. They also go on the computer in a rota, so it's fair.

If they're bored ask them what they would do at home... I did this once and got the answer 'get shouted at'... to which I replied 'well it's quieter here then...?' and they stopped moaning :laughing:

miffy
11-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Have you asked them what they want to do?

I also have some craft htings out - sticking,glueing,lacing that sort of thing because some of the children only come in the mornings so they would never get to make anything if I didn't.

Miffy xx

angeldelight
11-01-2008, 08:29 AM
I would never have time for any type of activity in the morning

Most of mine are here at 8 then we go to school at 8.45 so we have breakfast and that is about it

For the ones that finish early they just go and help them selves to the toys / books / or colouring

Or they just chill out and watch tv before we go ( with parents knowledge / support / permission of course )

I would not worry to much Holly

Hope you are ok?

Angel xx

Polly2
11-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks ladies

It's not enough time to do anything really exciting and most of the kids are happy to just get on with it like you say. One boy likes to chill and watch tv which his mum is ok with because he gets tired in the mornings.

I have one girl though who is on my heels asking me "what are we going to do now Holly?" constantly (I hear that question in my sleep lol :) )

Trouble is everything I suggest she doesn't want to do - I have taken to telling her to do something instead of suggesting it and she seem better with that.

Been thinking I might involve her in taking care of the little ones, she can hold a drink for someone or help someone else to draw a picture or something. Do you think that would be ok?

thanks

miffy
11-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Yes, I think that's a really good idea.

She sounds as though she wants constant attention and if she's helping you and being thanked/praised for it then that may help

Miffy xx

angeldelight
11-01-2008, 08:42 AM
That is a good idea Holly she will love that I expect

I know the feeling though I have a little boy who is the same - whatever we want to do he is bored within 5 min and moans to do something else
You can plan an activity that you hope will last for at least an hour or so but with in 5 min we are packed away and doing something else that lasts no longer

Good luck I am sure if you find her things to do she will stop saying what are we going to do now ha

Angel xx

Schnakes
11-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Kids like that are real hard work arent they?! Its really hard to plan when you know they have such short attention spans/boredom thresholds...really exhausting! With kids like that I like to get them out and about in the fresh air as much as possible...for example - before the school pick up/drop we would go to the park (weather permitting!) or walk a really long way to nursery. I know that its not always practical to do this but it kept me sane!!!

Totally agree about the attention thing too.

Sx

Tily Bud
11-01-2008, 01:45 PM
We do not have time to do anything in the morning except for breakfast and reminding my two dc to get a move on !

I also have a little girl who is always on my back about what we are going to do next. She is lovely and very well behaved but i find the contant nagging a pain x

Polly2
11-01-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm glad I am not the only one who finds it a pain!!!

She's fine in the afternoons after play group because I usually have loads of stuff planned and we go from one thing to another. She also loves it when we go out and about.

Its just in the mornings I am rushing around feeding babies getting last min stuff for my own 2 boys ready that it would be really good if she would just get on and play with the others.

Never mind - thanks for your ideas and the chance to have a little grizzle :rolleyes:

LittleMissSparkles
12-01-2008, 12:07 PM
the mindees i have in the mornings usually sit and colour or draw or do peg puzzles or threading things in the mornings as we dont have alot of time before school xxx

oakie dokie
12-01-2008, 01:37 PM
no time for anything, after parents arrive and they have finished talking about nothing! im busy trying to get everything ready that i need. its 8.30 by that time and i need to start loading the car. 8.35. 8.40 arrive at school to get parking place. 8.50 they can go into school. so there is no time at all. for me that is. your routine is probably different.

hazelx

so to rant a little but i have one parent that no matter how many times you hint that your in a hurry, they still stand there talking but about nothing and its the same at night, worse! even when i come straight out with it.::mad:

deeb66
12-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Like others....we don't really have time to do much in the mornings as trying to get ready to go to out.