PDA

View Full Version : playdough

summersue
29-08-2008, 04:01 PM
I want to make some playdough the receipe says cream of tartar sauce, I have asked in various shops for this, but no one seems to no what it is, what is it and what does it look like, Im sure loads of you make playdough.

sarah707
29-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Cream of tartar - it comes in a little Supercook pot like baking powder :D

nicaukids
08-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi Sarah
supercook pots in homebaking section usually have an orange lid I think

Would recommend not using green food colouring... made some last week & it looks like mashed potato - Yuk ! :(

Mrs.L.C
08-09-2008, 01:21 PM
tescos have it with the baking powder etc but the pot look the same

christine e
08-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Will find it alongside baking powder. You can make it without but cream of tartare acts as a preservative so that it lasts a while.

Cx

Denise r
10-09-2008, 12:26 PM
I want to make some playdough the receipe says cream of tartar sauce, I have asked in various shops for this, but no one seems to no what it is, what is it and what does it look like, Im sure loads of you make playdough.

Hi Sue

I read somewhere that cream of tartar is toxic and can kill dogs & cats if eaten, so please be careful using it in playdoh if you have pets. I chickened out and got ready made play doh from Tesco's.

Take care

Denise

Jen Wibble
28-09-2008, 11:14 AM
I made playdough at my local surestart and it was real easy, :) this is from their sheet
A simple recipe (which children can use with an adult)
4 tablespoons of plain flour
2 tablespoons of salt
A small amount of water

Add small amounts of water to the flour and salt and mix to a dough.
If you want coloured dough, add food colouring (not paint) to the water.

This recipe should make enough play dough for one child.

patevans
28-09-2008, 11:36 AM
I cant make playdough to save my life - have to buy mine :(

Monkey1
28-09-2008, 11:43 AM
I have got to make some for the Special Needs creche i am working in next weekend. i might make the chocolate one and make a sparkly one too, and maybe a green one with peppermint essence:rolleyes:

Mrs.L.C
28-09-2008, 03:05 PM
I cant make playdough to save my life - have to buy mine :(

The best recipe iv been given so far is
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
tbls of oil (any works)
2 tbls of cream of tartar
few drops of food coulouring
1 cup of boiling water

Mix and there it is. I have found though that I need to keep adding flour when kneeding to get it exactly right but its works and the kids do this once its cooled down

Rubybubbles
28-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Hi Sue

I read somewhere that cream of tartar is toxic and can kill dogs & cats if eaten, so please be careful using it in playdoh if you have pets. I chickened out and got ready made play doh from Tesco's.

Take care

Denise

hehe I'll use that as my excuse for buying it then:laughing: