PDA

View Full Version : Planning and Observations?

littlesprogs
29-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Ok this might sound like a really stupid question but i've never done planning or obs before.

When doing planning do you basically just write down what activities you plan to do and what parts of the eyfs it links to? and then how you adapt the activity for different ages?

Then do an observation on the activity and write down what stages they are at and link it to eyfs?

How often do you do a planned activity? once a day? week? month?

jaytravis
29-08-2008, 02:35 PM
glad you asked that caus i was thinking the same lol lets hope someone replys soon lol

littlesprogs
29-08-2008, 02:39 PM
good i'm glad i'm not the only one :blush:

sarah707
29-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Ok this might sound like a really stupid question but i've never done planning or obs before.

No question is stupid

When doing planning do you basically just write down what activities you plan to do and what parts of the eyfs it links to?

Yes...!!

and then how you adapt the activity for different ages?

You don't really need to adapt the activity because you'll be working with the child. All you need to think is... ok today we will paint, now J age 2 can use the big brushes cos he really enjoyed painting the wall last week and wanted to do it again and K age 4 might like to look at some jackson Pollock for inspiration...

Then do an observation on the activity and write down what stages they are at and link it to eyfs?

Not every activity every day!! Most times you'll just be pottering on doing stuff... then something will happen and make you go wow and reach for your notebook.

How often do you do a planned activity? once a day? week? month?

I try to include 2 lots of multicultural planning a month... so December we might do something on Hannukah or Babushka and Christmas... January it'll be fun to do Australia Day etc...

Then I have my theme which we might or might not follow depending on what the children want to do ... but I know if i sell it to them in the right way, they'll be keen to join in.

Then somebody will suggest something or one of the mums will tell me about something that happened at the weekend and out will come my planning files or look something up on the computer or go to the library or we'll see something when we're out and about and we'll do that...

Then the weather will improve and we'll have a late summer and we'll all be out in the garden and I'll do something with minibeasts because W will spot a slug... and on it goes...

Does that make sense? :D

littlesprogs
29-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Yes it does make sense thanks.

So do you have a planning folder to keep all your plans together?

and then your observations go in a seperate folder for each child?

sarah707
29-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Yes! :D :D

littlesprogs
29-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Brilliant thanks sarah!

Now i will have to buy a folder for my plans to go in!

And a suitable type of folder to keep all the childrens things in!

carolinel
29-08-2008, 04:18 PM
haha, that's all i've been doing this week - buying lots and lots of folders!!! nothing in them yet though!!

littlesprogs
29-08-2008, 04:23 PM
haha, that's all i've been doing this week - buying lots and lots of folders!!! nothing in them yet though!!

dont worry mine will probably stay empty for a while too haha!

Chimps Childminding
29-08-2008, 11:39 PM

I've got so many folders you wouldn't believe - lots and lots of lovely colours!!!!!!!!!!! ......................................... all empty of course!!!! I just like the folders :D

angeldelight
29-08-2008, 11:50 PM
I've got so many folders you wouldn't believe - lots and lots of lovely colours!!!!!!!!!!! ......................................... all empty of course!!!! I just like the folders :D

haha

funny :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

xxxx

Cammie Doodle
30-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Its true Angel, when I need a folder I just pop next door and Carolyn has a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge supply of them in various types,colours and sizes :laughing:

Andrea08
05-09-2008, 02:52 PM
im soooo upset head in hands crying like a baby,

i have just put my planning file (which has taken me all summer to do)in the bin ,52wks of plans all linked to EYFS and the 6 areas of learning,
i was thinking i was doing so well until i spoke to my coordinator. (due a visit this month)
i was told not to use or even word THEMES OR TOPICS OR SUBJECTS!!!! WHAT?

Ofsted dont want to even see them!!!!!

all activities are to be child led, and for each individual childs interests and needs

so schools have 30 files for 30 kids and plan for each child do they?

so how do i know what child A will be interested in say on the 20th sept so i can plan for it and be ready, its mad and im now soooo confused i dont know what to do but cry.

my continual provisions are to be my long term plans ,, BUT i dont have everything out all of the time because there isnt the room so i rotate over a period of about 3/4 wks, is that ok?

my m8 has right idea she packed it in and does dog walking and gets twice as much money 4 half the work and doesnt have ofsted or coordinators on her back! and the dog owners love her to bits and dont complain if you are ill or have a holiday or just want a day off because its raining.

oh lord im so sorry look how ive ranted on and theres me a new girl

emmadines
05-09-2008, 03:18 PM
ok this may sound daft! but how can an activity be child led but planned at the same time (or am i missing something???:blush: )

Nettynoo
05-09-2008, 03:46 PM
I now feel like jumping off Southsea Pier with concrete boots on because I don't even know what you are talking about ie long term provisions etc!!!!!! I personally wouldn't throw away all your hard work as it has to be a bonus and shows how thorough you are being as long as you do what your network coordinator has suggested too!!!!! Please don't take my advice though as I haven't even told Ofsted I have started childminding yet!!!! (only 1.5 weeks into it though!!!) too scared of having an inspection!! good luck anyway!!!:( :o

Chatterbox Childcare
05-09-2008, 03:47 PM
im soooo upset head in hands crying like a baby,

i have just put my planning file (which has taken me all summer to do)in the bin ,52wks of plans all linked to EYFS and the 6 areas of learning,
i was thinking i was doing so well until i spoke to my coordinator. (due a visit this month)
i was told not to use or even word THEMES OR TOPICS OR SUBJECTS!!!! WHAT?

Ofsted dont want to even see them!!!!!

all activities are to be child led, and for each individual childs interests and needs

so schools have 30 files for 30 kids and plan for each child do they?

so how do i know what child A will be interested in say on the 20th sept so i can plan for it and be ready, its mad and im now soooo confused i dont know what to do but cry.

my continual provisions are to be my long term plans ,, BUT i dont have everything out all of the time because there isnt the room so i rotate over a period of about 3/4 wks, is that ok?

my m8 has right idea she packed it in and does dog walking and gets twice as much money 4 half the work and doesnt have ofsted or coordinators on her back! and the dog owners love her to bits and dont complain if you are ill or have a holiday or just want a day off because its raining.

oh lord im so sorry look how ive ranted on and theres me a new girl

Don't bin them - you will need them

I think what your Ofsted inspector is trying to say is that some activities should be child led and that you cannot pre plan a year in advance. That doesn't mean you cannot use them for the adult activities.

Don't despair

emmadines
05-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Maybe I should change the title of my themes to “suggested topics”

they like different names for the same thing dont they?

Ripeberry
05-09-2008, 04:32 PM
I was also stressing about the planning thing as well. Thanks for the explanations.
I'm quite heavily involved in my daughter's pre-school and it's great and i can see exactly what THEY are doing and how it would look in a chilminding setting.
We were given home book today to write in and my older daughter started YR2 this week and had her "tracking record" from pre-school returned for us to keep and it's just like observations!
So it's finally clicking in place and it does not seem so scary anymore as i can also bounce ideas off the pre-school leader :)

sarah707
05-09-2008, 04:53 PM
A child wants to learn more about dinosaurs...

It doesn't matter what you call it... continuous provision, medium term planning, themes, topics...

You go to your file and you pull out lots of exciting ideas for covering dinosaurs with the child.

Please don't throw things away because of a local authority advisor.

All they can offer is advice... if something works for you, then keep it and make it work for Eyfs.

I sell lots of themed planning... and my advice is always the same - follow the child's interests or introduce a special day and let the child decide what sort of activities they might like from a choice which you will find ... in my planning files. :D

crazybones
05-09-2008, 05:19 PM
A child wants to learn more about dinosaurs...

It doesn't matter what you call it... continuous provision, medium term planning, themes, topics...

You go to your file and you pull out lots of exciting ideas for covering dinosaurs with the child.

Please don't throw things away because of a local authority advisor.

All they can offer is advice... if something works for you, then keep it and make it work for Eyfs.

I sell lots of themed planning... and my advice is always the same - follow the child's interests or introduce a special day and let the child decide what sort of activities they might like from a choice which you will find ... in my planning files. :D

So pleased I am doing something right. Nothing planned for today but C was looking at a book about pirates - whipped out my pirate folder and brought the pirate ship out and whole afternoon went so fast when he remembered the pirate outfit in the dressing up box and the others wanted to dress up to. Great photos and lots of things to write about. :D Now where is the rest of my bottle. Dave is hoovering up the sand on the kitchen floor. :p

devoncm
08-09-2008, 09:08 AM
So does everyone have different folders for each topic to cover child led activities?

bubbly
08-09-2008, 09:13 AM
So does everyone have different folders for each topic to cover child led activities?
No, I'm not that organised or intelligent :laughing: