PDA

View Full Version : how can they get away with it?

louise
28-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi, This is bugging me. I have always heard bad things about a local nursery. well not up to standard. My bil girlfriend works at another one down the road. They always phone asking what should they do for this and that.

My sister done work experiance there for 18 months. she never had a crb or any training. she got left alone with children and they took the :censored: out of her. Asked her to do extra hours, during hols ect. Then said no to a placement, yet took two new people on when she went back in sept.

Then this week i found out a friend who asked me about maybe having her dd has decided on a nursery. i checked which one. It is the one my bil girlfriend is at. She also looked at the one im writing about and said this.

Yeah i looked round ****** i was appalled! it was awful, while i was being shown round by 1 girl she opened the door and the handle came off then i went in 1 room and there was a little boy in there on his own cutting his hair and the carpets were coming up the changing area was over a toilet!!!! how can they keep this place open it was awful i would never never never leave my daughter there i was horrified. So when you said what you did abt it im not at all surprised and so glad i found a nice nursery with nice staff and a peaceful caring environment for ds.

Do you think i should ask her to complain to ofsted? would they listen? obv nothing can be done about my sister and bil girlfriend. They only had their inspection in Nov and got satisfactory yet good in some areas.

Loux

miffy
28-08-2008, 09:15 PM
You can only ask.......the rest is up to her.

It sounds awful but Ofsted must be happy if they've allowed it to stay open.

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
28-08-2008, 09:16 PM
We have a nursery close by to us and I have heard from many of the employees that Ofsted are in every week. Yet they are still open.

This needs reporting...

Rubybubbles
28-08-2008, 09:27 PM
omg thats awful

ChocolateChip
28-08-2008, 09:36 PM
I used to work in retail, and now if you sell drink to under-aged kids, or commit a food hygiene offence both you, the individual, and the employer can get fined or improsoned- sounds like if they started doing that in nurseries they would soon pull their socks up, and whistle-blowing!

Schnakes
29-08-2008, 07:30 AM
One of my mums is going to be studying for a childcare degree and wanted to get some first hand experience. She went knocking on some of the local (private) nurseries to volunteer. They all said no except one,which, literally - on the spot, on the doorstep said "yes, when can you start". No CRB. No medical. No training. No background check (as in - is she actually studying or just saying it etc) And how much do you want to bet shes left alone with x amount of kids? Makes me sick - she could be anyone!! And the truth of the matter is - she hasnt got a clue what to do with kids. Shes got one of her own, so obviously thinks shes the expert! :rolleyes: I would never send my kids there.

Sx

Julia
29-08-2008, 09:15 AM
:angry: It absolutly miffs me off, we as childminders get the worst press in the media and Ofsted and the CSSIW keep us on extremly tight reins, whereas any nusery can break laws and show horrendous practice all the time and they do nothing.

Im in college with a bunch of n.nurses and one was off with a bad back for6 weeks, he work mate who is also on our couse was left for a large portion of the day looking after the baby room alone because the nursery couldnt afford to employ anyone to replace the sick n.nurse, how they can get away with this is beyond me, I know they were inspected recently but I can garantee they didnt get caught with their pants down! and only had recommended changes.

I feel they wont close a nursery down because of the huge distruption it would cause all the parents, but we would be closed immediatly if we did anything a tiny bit wrong, one standard for one and a completly different one for the other!

Annie_T
29-08-2008, 02:46 PM
oh that sounds bad, maybe you should pretent your looking sending ickle one there and then report it, or just report it anyhow

no child deserves that type place as a play/learning area

Spangles
29-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Have you tried to look up their Ofsted report to see when they were last inspected and what it said?

Might be interesting and shed some light?

louise
29-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi, They were only inspected in nov and got satifactory overall and good in some areas. I was speaking to my bil girlfriend who works down the road and she wonders how they got through it. She is also suprised that they didnt have loads of complaints. Nappy changing was in improvements.

I did think about doing a visit but i think they might think something is going on as my sis done work experiance there. I know she took my son in a few times when waiting for her refrence to be done. she also still sees one of the girls and chats on facebook with her which she has pics of both of us. Maybe i could when my son is at school and take mindee along. i could call it ' a visit to a different setting'

Like it has been said if it is us it would be a different story.

Lou

Mollymop
29-08-2008, 08:59 PM
That's really bad!

I worked in a nursery cleaning not that long ago. I was there for almost a year and I was shocked. Plastic bin liners laying arounfd, staples and drawing pins laying on the floor. I was told to leave the potties to the nurses to clean - but after a few weeks of seeing them caked in poo (I am not exaggerating) and never clean, I did it. Highchairs were left with mouldy grapes in th eliners and left on the seat, I was told to leave these as well but I never did, i had to clean them.
Honest, I thought, I would never leave my kids here!
They had an inadequate a few years back.