PDA

View Full Version : Pet issues

lolatallulah
28-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Feeling really bad today :(

I care for a brother & sister who I know do not like cats & dogs. I am a great animal lover, have a 6 & 2 yr old of my own & I want them to know the joy of pets so have already got a kitten & in 2 weeks time our puppy will be coming home.

Been toying with the idea of getting the cat & dog for ages & have always been up front with the children and their parents about my plans. Mum hoped that it might even help them to confront their fears - not so. They refused to come in today so went back home.

Mum thinks proffessional help is needed & I have agreed with her. Have told her that I am happy to work with the children to help them through it but have also given her an alternative childminder's no.

I know I have done all I can but I feel so bad. Anyone else had any similar experiences?

X

Polly2
28-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Not had any similar experience but just wanted to say I think you are doing the right thing.

With any luck you might be able to help these children through there fears.

Have they had a bad experience with animals that has scared them?

flora
28-08-2008, 11:41 AM
"my" 6 yr old was scared of dogs, thats why mum sent her to me :D

a is not the most level headed rational of children, prone to hysteria and explosive outbursts. was hard at first as she screamed the house down.

i have 3 dogs and a whole zoo of other animals.

we took it slowly, she came for several visits before she started and then once she did we kept her and the beasties away from each other until she felt able to confront them.

her fear was totally irrational as they often are.

we still have the odd day when she behaves like a rabid wolf is about to kill her , but mostly ok.

pm me if you need to pick my brains :thumbsup:

lolatallulah
28-08-2008, 11:43 AM

No, but the brother has autism and so he can't rationalize his fear and I think his sister is feeding off his reactions. They are very close in age and although sis does not have any additional needs she does have some similar dislikes to her brother eg very fussy eater.

CCJD
28-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi, I have two dogs and am very lucky in that my husband trained them well and they are not overbearing animals. Children who have previously been fearful of animals have overcome this as they come to realize that actually the dogs have little to do with them . I do hoever have a stairgate at my playroom door : a) to stop escapees roaming the house and b) to keep dogs out. I actually keep the dogs out as I have crawling ones and don't want dog hair in here but for children who are nervous of them, it can give them instant piece of mind that the dogs cannot reach them. This allows me and the children time to build their confidence. All the children know that the dogs are not allowed in at all and they can feel completely safe. I have managed to alay many children's fears this way even when our second dog was a puppy and still too jumpy and overexcited for even the most confident of children. When children who are scared come into the house I reassure them from the doorstep ( even if it means carrying them to the playroom) that once they are in there the dogs cannot come in. We then work this down from carrying to walking but holding my hand etc. Hope you can help this family.

Hannahlg
31-08-2008, 09:06 AM
well we have 1 cat and 12 guinea pigs my mum did look after 1 girl who didnt like cats but she didnt last long. but all the ones we look after now love the cat and the pigs

ruby
31-08-2008, 10:12 AM
we had a little boy some years back who didn't like dogs

then we went and got a dog discussed this with parents before hand and they were fine with it but J was fine with her that was 8 years ago but he is still not happy around other dogs even now

we now have a little girl who screams if a dog comes anywhere near her

went to a family party last week and some one brought their dog it was kept seperate but some how got out she went hysterical.

we can't understand this as they have a dog of their own but some how she does not consider their and ours as dogs if you see what i mean.

cathy

kindredspirits
31-08-2008, 11:06 AM
I think you've done the right thing. I agree that kids should be bought up with the joys of animals, i'd love a kitten/puppy but we live in rented accom. so its a no go, i have just bought my 18 month old son his first guinea pigs and he loves them.

Perhaps suggest that the bro and sis come separately for a few hours if thats possible, so they can't feed off each others fears, get them involved with food etc.

good luck with it. anna x