PDA

View Full Version : Did you know the parents before you started childminding?

Ripeberry
28-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Hi, Just wondering if any of you knew the parents of any mindees before you became a childminder?
Just wondering, as i live in a small village with a small school and we all know each other, but all the young children have all got extended familly or going to nurseries.
Do famillies come out of the woodwork? If you live in a small community do you find people coming to you from quite far away? Or using you as a childminder as you are on their commuting route?

Chimps Childminding
29-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Do famillies come out of the woodwork? If you live in a small community do you find people coming to you from quite far away? Or using you as a childminder as you are on their commuting route?

Bit of both really! Some use me because they work locally and have got my details from CIS, others came to me because they live locally (I live on a small housing estate) and then it seems to go by word of mouth. I have had 2 sisters since they were 18 months and 3 years, they are now 10 and 12. I was then asked to have their cousin, and the cousins mum gave my number to a friend and I had her little girl, and so it goes! (hopefully!!!:thumbsup:)

mum22
29-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Agree bit of both, and then when you are a bit more established then word of mouth is a biggie.

flora
29-08-2008, 07:11 PM
i live in a really small village, we only have a pub nothing else apart from fields and the odd house :D

i find school/ playschool in the next village has brought in some enquiries.

netmums notice board one or two

and advertising locally and cis one or two more.

i wear logo'ed polo shirts etc gets me noticed and the people talk. as you'll apreciate people who live in small villages are good at that :laughing:

manjay
29-08-2008, 07:25 PM
I too live in a small village and all my mindees live here too. I didn't know the parents well beforehand but knew them by sight iyswim. We do have one of the only local Welsh medium schools in our village so I suppose potentially I could have mindees from outside who go to that school but at the moment all my mindees attend the English school where my children go. You don't even drive past our village to get anywhere so it's not as if there would be any passing trade:rolleyes: I have never done any advertising either, all my business has come from word of mouth

miss mopple
29-08-2008, 07:32 PM
I havent known any of mine before they came to me. All my enquiries have come through the CIS or my website.

Chatterbox Childcare
29-08-2008, 09:27 PM
My first one was a neighbour but the rest came along as and when.

ChocolateChip
31-08-2008, 12:37 PM
All the ones I have at the mo are people I know from either school or toddler group. But I have been getting enquiries from CIS, people where I used who work, people where my OH works(as they know I'm now childminding), and with a couple of other childminders I know, we have agreed to pass on each others details if we can't take one.
All basically word of mouth, but the T-shirts with logos are a good idea, and try the school/toddler group newsletters if they will let you advertise.
Hope you get some more soon!:)

MissTinkerbell
31-08-2008, 02:28 PM
I knew one of my mindees mums before hand and have really only taken on her 2 because of this.

My other 2 sets of mindees found me on CIS website and posters about locally.

Saz
31-08-2008, 07:01 PM
My original two that I registered for where friends children. Now I have another one starting that is a friend of one of the ones I mind.

I have had enquiries from CIS (Childcare Link) too but all for different school to the one I have listed, lol!

ajs
06-09-2008, 11:18 PM
hi i was just wondering where in gloucestershire you live
pm me if you don't want to post it
thanks ripeberry

mandy xx

polobear1970
07-09-2008, 07:13 AM
I did know my 1st two and got more but luck, I happened to go to a 1 o/c club the day she was asking about childminders.

The rest came via the same 1 o/c club because they had seen me with the children when they were there.

lisa

Pudding Girl
07-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Nope, all brand new accquiantances :)

I was newish to the area and didn't really know anyone anyway, apart from my friend who wanted me to mind her baby but my reg took so damn long, nearly 12 months that of course she had to go elsewhere in the end.

butterfly
07-09-2008, 01:07 PM
one was a neighbour, a couple from toddler group, one from playgroup, one from poster in window, one from netmums. only knew a couple of them. living in a smal village is good as people talk lots and will pass on your name!

jo f
07-09-2008, 01:13 PM
No both parents got my details from the childcare information service, one turned out to be my next door but 1 neighbour (only knew them to say hi to)

christine e
07-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Some approach me cos they know me, some obtain details from FIS (quite often by e mail so make sure you put your e mail details on) and others word of mouth from people that know me. I have also put my details on Netmums and had an enquiry that way.

Good luck

Cx