PDA

View Full Version : shoes off!

tomthumb
28-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Hi,
The children always take their shoes off in the house (they have always done it automatically and I have never asked!!). The fire drills have done they still had their shoes on luckily but what do you do if they don't? Do you make children wear slippers in your house then? Do you lose precious time and ask them to put shoes on? You can't really make them go out on street without shoes can you??

Elodie X

angeldelight
28-08-2008, 08:43 AM
We dont wear shoes indoors never have

Some bring slippers some dont

If there was a fire - we would move fast and not even think of the shoes

Who cares about a shoe when you could be saving a life so yes we would go into the street with out our shoes

Might be a different story if it was nite time though and I was in my pjs haha might have to stop and put a coat over the top or something haha

Angel xxx

sarah707
28-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Ahhh, now this is a good question!

I have a child who does not like getting wet... so I planned a fire practice during the rain to see what happened.

He totally refused to go outside - full blown kicking, screaming paddy.

After talking with his parents, he now wears slippers on wet days and if he takes them off, I remind him what might happen if there is a fire practice.

I am planning my next one for a wet day so i can heap praise on him :D

ruby
28-08-2008, 08:56 AM
ours do wear slippers but they don't all ways keep them on :laughing:

but agree with Angel just go with out them

cathy

manjay
28-08-2008, 08:56 AM
I thought lots about this one too. What I do now to try and be as realistic as possible is get everyone outside in their socks (no shoes rule in my house). I then have a pile of cheapy socks for everyone to change into when we come back inside. Checked with parents beforehand obviously as I don't want them moaning I ruined lo's designer socks:laughing: but it is a safey procedure that we need to practice. We would NOT stop to put shoes on in a real fire so imho we shouldn't in practice

This way works for me

mum22
28-08-2008, 10:10 AM
We dont wear shoes in the house - somedays slippers some days not - i did a practise fire evac last week, wasnt raining at the time but was wet, all went outside fine with no shoes/slippers on and all had wet socks, but best to practise different scenarios as you just never know when one day it may just save a life.

Wiggly
28-08-2008, 10:24 AM
In event of fire I certainly wouldn't worry about shoes - just get out. A fire drill should be no different.

I would ask parents to always make sure a spare pair of socks are in child's bag in case of fire drill etc. Obviously I would always have some spare just in case parents forget.

Wiggly
x

Heaven Scent
28-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Ok All mine wear slippers in my house and any who don't will have to get wet feet I also don't have any spare socks as my 2 are older and don't have any - I've had to buy so much stuff in the last year spare clothes were not on the adjenda I may have some spare cash soon to spend on some second hand spare clothes but all mine are aged betwee 1yr and 12 years - and I have 12 children on my books from 9 families so that's a lot of spare clothes and socks etc to provide and store - in my opinion its down to the parents to provide 2 complete spare sets of clothes for each child and as for fire drills if parents don' supply slippers then tough the socks get wet - a fire will happen any day and in any weather so it has to be practiced in all weathers and at various times of the day - When I worked in nurseries and schools we never had any complaints about wet socks and wont expect any now its in the best interests of their children.

Rubybubbles
28-08-2008, 10:54 AM
we don't wear shoes in the house, I tend to get slippers from adsa for everyone:o parents forget to bring them from experience and I like slippers for not standing on any toys (come on I am not the only one who stands on duplo:blush: )

maybe you could write it up on an outcome from a fire drill and note how you would go about this

but everyone esle is right, in the event of a fire you would all just get out, regardless

tomthumb
28-08-2008, 11:34 AM
thanks everyone for replies.
I don't wear shoes either as I don't like wearing them! the minute I walk in, I take them off (summer or winter, I have to be barefoot!).
We'll have a go this afternoon!!

ElodieXX

Alibali
28-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Yep, stocking soles for us too! I've never thought about it we just get out as promptly as possible, they don't even have to tidy toys away first!!:D

Blaze
28-08-2008, 02:27 PM
The only people that go barefoot in my house are myself & my family...everyone else wears slippers for hygene reasons..I don't fancy getting varucas etc from other's children in my own home! There are also safety reasons as parts of downstairs have wooden floors so if the kids were only wearing socks then there would be danger of slipping over...so solved the firedrill question nicely for me!!!!(Slippers stay here so no danger of them being forgotten)!:)

miffy
28-08-2008, 03:14 PM
No shoes rule in my house too so fire drill we just get out as fast as possible - no stopping to put shoes on

The children seem to like tearing outside with no shoes on - they are always asking when we are going to do another fire drill :laughing:

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
28-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Mine always take their shoes off - can't imagine what the carpet would be like if not just after one day

As for an emergency - I don't think shoes would come into it. Just grab and run -in the winter you could put them on outside - at least your not in danger

LOOPYLISA
28-08-2008, 05:25 PM
thanks everyone for replies.
I don't wear shoes either as I don't like wearing them! the minute I walk in, I take them off (summer or winter, I have to be barefoot!).
We'll have a go this afternoon!!

ElodieXX

Me too i hate socks, my feet can be freezing in the winter, i put slippers on and my feet just boil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:laughing:

LOOPYLISA
28-08-2008, 05:27 PM
The only people that go barefoot in my house are myself & my family...everyone else wears slippers for hygene reasons..I don't fancy getting varucas etc from other's children in my own home! There are also safety reasons as parts of downstairs have wooden floors so if the kids were only wearing socks then there would be danger of slipping over...so solved the firedrill question nicely for me!!!!(Slippers stay here so no danger of them being forgotten)!:)

I agree we have wood flooring downstairs too and ive had to buy my neice slippers she was forever slipping up :D

Pauline
05-09-2008, 06:51 AM
I have a child who does not like getting wet... so I planned a fire practice during the rain to see what happened.

He totally refused to go outside - full blown kicking, screaming paddy.

Do you think that in the event of a REAL fire, things would be different? I reckon they would pick up the vibes of your panic and get out! Might be wrong but things can be different when they see your reaction (Hope you never find out :eek:)