PDA

View Full Version : Best place to hold fire evacuation point

Tammy
28-08-2008, 06:40 AM
I live in a typical 1930's house so thought the best place to have my evacuation point would be inside the garden gate but I am concerned this is too close to the house. It's probably about 15ft from the front of the house I think.

Or would at the bottom of the garden be better but would children then be distracted by garden equipment and not do the drill properly.

Also I don't know when and how to do my first one. My own children are only 4 and 2yrs and my minded little boy just 2yrs it seems very young to be doing fire drills.

I'd welcome some advice please.

Thanks

Sam

Ripeberry
28-08-2008, 09:21 AM
I would say get them to congregate by the back gate (if you have one).
I've got an enclosed garden at the back and the gate is at the side of the house by the garage and i'm going to use the gate as the congregation point BUT by there we also have our propane cylinders for the central heating!
So not sure if OFSTED would like that?

sarah707
28-08-2008, 10:16 AM
It's got to be somewhere enclosed and safe... but like you say far enough away ...

No harm in distraction by toys I wouldn't think, if it stops children panicking.

You can do fire practices with mindees from birth - just pick them up and hoik them out...

then they won't be frightened of the noise when they are older :D