PDA

View Full Version : Ideas ~ please

hello kitty
27-08-2008, 09:29 PM
I have my assessor coming tomorrow and I am trying to plan some activities for my mindees. One lo brought a birds nest in today so I was going to follow through with this and make chocolate nests, a bird collage and hopefully a bird feeder. Trouble is I'm not sure how to make one, I've looked online but can't find anything suitable. Has anyone got any good ideas, my los are 1, 2 and 3.

I think I need lard and seeds but not sure how to put it all together. :blush:

tulip0803
27-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi the RSPB have this one

http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/Make_a_bird_cake_tcm9-184580.pdf

But they will need help with the yogurt pot bit - although they will have a lovely sensory activity mixing with hands!:)

Although for under 5's take the peanuts out for alergy reasons

Rubybubbles
27-08-2008, 09:58 PM
yeah yougurt pots or plastic cups, to 'mold' it whist it goes hard again

excellent follow on remember to note it all down lol

miss mopple
27-08-2008, 10:02 PM
If you've got any spare washing tablet mesh bags you can put the mix in that to hang.

Never done it myself but I have seen it done.

Oh, or you could use pine cones and squish it around that then it would be easy to hang from the tip.

Have fun :D

sarah707
28-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Just wanted to say good luck! :D

We did some lovely weaving on the garden fence the other day using strips of ribbon - carefully supervised, they took ages on it and it looked really nice. That's a bit birds nesty isn't it?

miffy
28-08-2008, 06:44 AM
The bird cake is a good idea - you'll get to tick the "sensory experience" box as well - can't remember what unit that's in

Good luck

Miffy xx

Tatia
28-08-2008, 07:40 AM
For a quick and easy idea, you can coat apples with peanut butter and then roll in birdseed. I used to do these all the time with my own children. In case of allerges, you could spread the apple with lardinstead.

miffy
28-08-2008, 07:41 AM
For a quick and easy idea, you can coat apples with peanut butter and then roll in birdseed. I used to do these all the time with my own children. In case of allerges, you could spread the apple with lardinstead.

Oooh I like that idea Tatia - thanks

I just love this forum - I'm always picking up new ideas :D

Miffy xx

Spangles
28-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Could you make a pretend bird house out of a box?

Look out the window to the garden and bird spot with some binoculars?

Spangles
28-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Could you make a pretend bird house out of a box?

Look out the window to the garden and bird spot with some binoculars, make notes and then try to look them up online?

Tatia
28-08-2008, 08:02 AM
ALso, do you have an craft feathers? You could trace their hands on paper, cut it out and then let me them glue feathers and a googly eye on to make their own birds. Glue a craft stick to the back to make a sort of puppet with it.

Tatia
28-08-2008, 08:32 AM
And just reminded myself on another thread...two toilet rolls pained black and glued together make fantastic binoculars for birdwatching.:D Or you could cut a kitchen roll tube in half.

I think I'm gonna have to do a bird theme very soon. I'm getting ridiculously excited about all these ideas!:rolleyes:

angeldelight
28-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Some great ideas from everyone

Just wanted to say good luck today

Angel xx

hello kitty
31-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Oops sorry forgot to post.

Thank you so much for all your ideas, they were fantastic.

I finished a whole unit in one morning. :)