PDA

View Full Version : Food Fee Changes and Notice

Wiggly
27-08-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm asking on behalf of a friend whose brother has his daughter in childcare. He has just been told that the food fee charge is being increased with immediate effect. Is there a period of notice that should be given for this to happen.

Also, can anyone give an indication of a meal fee in London. He is currently paying £1.90 and it is being put up to £2.50.

Many thanks
Wiggly
x

chez1373
27-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi im ot 100% on this but as far as i know being a childminder means you are self employed and we provide a service so by rights a childminder can put up the rates for food if they so choose too im not 100% as i said ut thats what i think...

However i dont charge food but i do put £2 per meal per day onto my a accounts,
Im not sure if we need to give notice but im sure it would be good practise to give notice if fees are goin to go up.
Being in London i would have thought it would have been Higher,

Sorry im not much good

Im sure some others will be along to help you out

ChocolateChip
27-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Not in London so can't help with that, but I would say he should look at their policies to see if there is anything in there about it.
I would have thought it courteous to give at least 2 weeks notice, if not 4, but if there's nothing in writing I don't suppose there will be much he can do about it. :(
HTH

Jules27
27-08-2008, 07:49 PM
can't help you i'm afraid, but that sounds like quite a hike in price!!!!:eek:

Chatterbox Childcare
27-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Our school did this - on Friday of half term start and it was effective on the Monday we returned.

I would say to look at the contract. If the fee is stated in there I would expect notice as per contract and if not to be the same until agreed otherwise.

Tatia
28-08-2008, 07:48 AM
I would have assumed that any changes in money would have to wait until the contract was renewed. Seems unfair that if it's stated in a contract that it could be changed with no notice. What does his paperwork and policies say?

If your friend is using a nursery, I am betting they have it covered in their policies.

Wiggly
28-08-2008, 08:01 AM
I would have assumed that any changes in money would have to wait until the contract was renewed. Seems unfair that if it's stated in a contract that it could be changed with no notice. What does his paperwork and policies say?

If your friend is using a nursery, I am betting they have it covered in their policies.

My friend's brother is using a childminder!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for comments.
Wiggly
x

angeldelight
28-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Seems unfair to me whatever the rights and wrongs are to put up prices with no notice what so ever

I have never put my food prices up but If I was going to do that I would give at least a months notice

I think its all about being polite at the end of the day

Angel xx

cloud9
28-08-2008, 10:49 AM
I myself would have assumed that the fee could only be changed upon a contract renewel. If he doesnt agree with the increase in fee's he would have to terminate the contract.

cloud9
28-08-2008, 10:50 AM
I myself would have assumed that the fee could only be changed upon a contract renewel. If he doesnt agree with the increase in fee's he would have to terminate the contract

Is the childminder a member of the NCMA, CAN he not contact them anyway and ask for clarification.

Blaze
28-08-2008, 02:49 PM
I know the answer to this one!:clapping:
If the price is stated in the contract signed by both parties then contract renewal needs to be done after 4 week notice period given. However if the price is in a policy that has been signed by the parent then only a reasonable notice period needs to be given this is presumed to be around 2 weeks, but should really be 4 weeks...unless somewhere in the policy/contract it is stated that the provider reserves the right to ammend food fee charges without prior notice & this has been signed by the parent...in this case you can change the price overnight! As the child is with a CM...she can charge what she sees fit for meals, but around £2.50 seems about right for London..I know of nursaries that charge £3.00 per meal!:eek: (Depends what part of London though! I know school dinners around here are now £2.00 & they get their food subsidized which we don't...hope this has made sense!:)

Wiggly
28-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks Tash and everybody for all your comments which I'm passing on to my friend to pass on to her brother to address the issue - phew.

Wiggly
x

miffy
28-08-2008, 03:09 PM
I agree with Blaze.

I think it would have been polite to give some notice of the increase anyway even if it isn't stated on the contract - there is no doubt food prices are rising though - I have been thinking about putting my own charges up for tea.

Miffy xx