PDA

View Full Version : Complaining Parents

Bumblebee
27-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Hello everyone!

I have a problem and I hope you will be able to help me???
One of the parents is an absolute nightmare and has broken our contract so many times...she always pays late, she is paying weekly instead of monthly as agreed and never arrives on time when bringing and collecting the child. Last week was the final straw when she arrived 2 and 1/2 hours late with a cheque payment :angry: I do accept cheques as payment but would expect the cheque to be cleared in my account on the day fees are due, not to be given to me a day late and to be told that she has no cash until next monday (she gets tax credits and had the cheek to tell me she has spent it!!!)
Anyway, yesterday I refused the payment and asked her to take the child with her. I then recieved a text message stating that a letter of complaint will be sent to OFSTED with a copy of my 'terms and conditions'
I rang OFSTED and they said they would not get involved with a complaint regarding fees and contracts.

Sorry I know this is really long and boring but I havent got a clue what to do...I am a new childminder.

Please help :(
Lisa x x x

Wiggly
27-08-2008, 03:24 PM
If your contract/paperwork that has been signed states when you must be paid and by what means etc and she is constantly breaking those terms then I can't see how she can complain and get anywhere anyway. Umm, that was a bit of a sentence wasn't it.

I'm no expert on this matter but I can't see where she can go with her complaint really.

I'm sure the others will be able to help you and hope I'm not wrong.

Good luck
Wiggly
x

LittleAcorns
27-08-2008, 04:17 PM
I really admire what you have done, after all, she should pay you ontime, why shouldnt you refuse care if you are not paid hahaha I love that ofsted wont get involved, after all they are only interested if the complaint is related to one of the national standards

keep us posted on the situation.

I would ring her and say youre sorry it has come to this but as you are a business you rely on payments being made on time, she should make sure she has the funds to pay you....

imagine if we turned around and said oh sorry I cant have your kiddie today I've filled her space, see you monday :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

cloud9
27-08-2008, 05:04 PM
I would write a letter to her stating the following:

Dear xxxxx,
Following your recent text message i would like to re-iterate the terms of our original contract. Payment is to be made monthly in advance and is due by the contracted day. It is for this reason that i was unable to offer my services caring for your child on the date specified because this term of the contract was not met on your behalf. I reserve the right to withdraw my services to any parent who defects or is continuously late with payments. This protects myself and the parents involved from accruing debts which would result in myself having to take legal action to recover losses.
Please ensure that all payments are made in future by the contracted date, for the contracted amount.Cheques are to be received 7 days in advance of there due date to enable processing time with the banks.
I hope this clarifies the situation to avoid any further problems.

yours sincerely.

xxxxxx

Hope that helps.

RedDragon
27-08-2008, 05:07 PM
If you DO take her back amend the contract - and future contracts (and current contracts) to include a late payment fee.

When I meet parents for the first time I always emphasise the things that are important to ME - for example, some Childminders hate parents picking child up late, some hate being paid late, some hate it when the child arrives without a coat/hat/proper shoes etc.

It is tough when you are a new or fairly new Childminder - I have looked at old contracts and can't believe how little I put on them and also how little I charged!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miffy
27-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Just wanted to wish you good luck and hope you get your money soon

Miffy xx

angeldelight
27-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Poor you not a nice experience for you

I would ask to speak to her though - I am not one for text messages if it is something important

See if you can sort it out - do you want to lose the child ? What is this parent like apart from her late payments is she nice to work with ?

I like a bit of give and take with my parents so maybe if you ask her to come and see you and have a chat maybe you can come to some sort of arrangment and maybe you can sort this out

She needs to understand that you also have bills to pay - maybe she would find it easier paying you weekly rather than monthly ?
Maybe then she will understand

If you are enjoying having the child it seems a shame for it to end this way
I know she was late with payment but at least she did pay you in the end

Soft me I know ha

Good luck whatever you decide

Angel xx

RedDragon
27-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Isn't it a shame - we work so hard, put ourselves out (often changing plans to fit in with others at very short notice) and sometimes this is what happens.

Hope this 1 parent doesn't put you off.

We have all been through it - and it's not nice :panic:

Keep reading these forums - they give you so much help and information - I have learned tons and feel a lot stronger setting my "rules" just from reading the forum.

Chatterbox Childcare
27-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Well done on holding your ground.

I think you have some sound advice on here but I would also contact your insurance company with the details and ask their advice. You could then give mum a name and number to ring.

I think she will rethink her position.

chez1373
27-08-2008, 07:52 PM
I would write a letter to her stating the following:

Dear xxxxx,
Following your recent text message i would like to re-iterate the terms of our original contract. Payment is to be made monthly in advance and is due by the contracted day. It is for this reason that i was unable to offer my services caring for your child on the date specified because this term of the contract was not met on your behalf. I reserve the right to withdraw my services to any parent who defects or is continuously late with payments. This protects myself and the parents involved from accruing debts which would result in myself having to take legal action to recover losses.
Please ensure that all payments are made in future by the contracted date, for the contracted amount.Cheques are to be received 7 days in advance of there due date to enable processing time with the banks.
I hope this clarifies the situation to avoid any further problems.

yours sincerely.

xxxxxx

Hope that helps.

I am loving this letter i hope u dont mind but i think i will copy it for my own records its very prof .
I cant say no to parents im a walk over so this will be grat for me
I hope u sort your prob out soon x

LisaH
27-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Good advice already given and I really like the letter too. Unfortunately we all end up with at least one parent like this one!! Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.:)

kindredspirits
27-08-2008, 09:13 PM
you did totally the right thing imo, i don't think ofsted will care and the fact that you have already rung them shows your on the ball. PARENTS :angry:

Bumblebee
28-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi everyone,
thanks for all your advice!
Just to update you, we have heard nothing from the parent. I have sent her a 4 weeks notice letter, stating the reasons for the termination of contract (there are loads :laughing: ) and how much she owes for the 4 week period. Ive told her that if I dont hear anything within 14 days I will be seeking legal advice.

I have read the thread 'terminating without notice' and it got me a bit worried - but I did not refuse to care for the child - I refused the payment and she stormed out with the child, making her a bit upset.
I don't think I have done anything wrong!

Anyway thanks again!:)

Lisa x x

Chatterbox Childcare
28-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Good luck with this

Mum will think twice in the future