PDA

View Full Version : Allergic to a child?

kellyg
27-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Well, not the child exactly, but in a way! I developed an allergy to cats when I moved to the country 4 years ago; don’t know why but now, even when not in the country, I have a fairly bad reaction to cats if I stroke them. One of the children I mind has started to settle back in after the hols and suddenly again I have my usual really itchy eyes and cold like symptoms - if it continues I don’t really know how I might approach the Mum because its obviously the fact that the little girl has the hairs etc fom their cat on her clothes which cause my allergy.....has anyone had to give notice for a similar reason :eek:

LOOPYLISA
27-08-2008, 01:39 PM
How awful for you, i love cats i have 3:eek: , don.t really know wat advice to give you, not alot of help am i really, good luck though x:thumbsup:

kellyg
27-08-2008, 01:51 PM
I know, nightmare - I used to have 3 cats but ony became allergic to them when I moved??? I feed some feral cats and am fine with them, think its cos I have to pick this little one up as she is only 6 months so a lot of close contact but I just hope it gets better, I will look such a nut case if I say sorry I am allergic to your child, or cat LOL - oh blimy!

Bumblebee
27-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi there! I have the same problem :panic: I am allergic to dogs and one of our mindees has a dog, her clothes are always covered in dog hairs, I have mentioned it to mum but nothing has been done. Unsure as what to do...I am tempted to give her 4 weeks notice with the reason being that I am allergic to the child! :laughing: Lisa x x x

LOOPYLISA
27-08-2008, 03:09 PM
I know, nightmare - I used to have 3 cats but ony became allergic to them when I moved??? I feed some feral cats and am fine with them, think its cos I have to pick this little one up as she is only 6 months so a lot of close contact but I just hope it gets better, I will look such a nut case if I say sorry I am allergic to your child, or cat LOL - oh blimy!

:laughing: :laughing:

Mrs.L.C
27-08-2008, 03:20 PM
This is going to sound really bad but I think you might have to give notice and really explain why but it may help if you could recommend a few good childminders who have spaces. Im sure the parents will understand. Either this or have your tried antihistamines? but then would you be willing to take them every day for x amount of years?

Wiggly
27-08-2008, 03:25 PM
This is going to sound really bad but I think you might have to give notice and really explain why but it may help if you could recommend a few good childminders who have spaces. Im sure the parents will understand. Either this or have your tried antihistamines? but then would you be willing to take them every day for x amount of years?

I agree with above.

Wiggly
x

mrsbumbles
27-08-2008, 03:33 PM
What about having a spare set of clothes at your house so you can change the child into them ?
With the parents permission of course. then maybe you wouldnt have such a reaction to the pet hairs? Its worth a try?

Rubybubbles
27-08-2008, 03:45 PM
no advice sorry but funny I'm allergic to your child haha

I have to take tablets when cutting the grass as I just can;t stop streaming eyes and sneezing!, maybe the way to go?

sarah707
27-08-2008, 04:30 PM
I would ask for spare clothes which you can change child into and keep hair free.

I used to take in ironing many years ago and couldn't work for one customer because her cat sat in her ironing pile.

I sympathise :(

ChocolateChip
27-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Sorry, can't add anything to what the others have advised- if the change of clothes doesn't work (cracking idea!) guess you'll just have to give notice.:(

Mrs.L.C
27-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Good ideas with change of clothes but you may want to ask for a few and wash them at yours to ensure they are cat hair free

balloon
27-08-2008, 06:51 PM
My sister is allergic to dogs and we used to have one. Every time she came to visit she just took a piriton hay fever tablet and it worked like a dream.

Maybe worth a try for you, people take them every day with no ill effects so there shouldn't be any worries in that department. If it works you get to keep your mindee, if it doesn't at least you can tell the mum truthfully that you have tried antiallergy medication to no effect...

katickles
27-08-2008, 06:58 PM
I'd try what Sarah suggested & ask for a spare set of clothes - its worth a try :(

Monkey1
27-08-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm allergic to all kids!:D :joker: :huh: :crying: :D

LisaH
27-08-2008, 07:53 PM
I am allergic to several things!! (including cats and dogs) I take an antihistamine every day and have done for many months now. Asda do their own for £1 for a weeks supply.

Would still have a word with parent tho about it. :)

Mrs.L.C
27-08-2008, 09:14 PM
If you get tax credits ask your doctor for some antihistamines on prescription...save you a fortune and thats what we pay tax for

kellyg
28-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks all - I think I will see how I go tomorrow and if I have the same reaction I wll ask Mum for clothes but it means a whole weeks worth - eeekkk - still she could do that and bag em up before the cat gets near them, I shall also wash her hands and face when she arrives as she likes to stroke the cat - I hope we will get round it but failing that I will give notice as I am not going to fork out for anti h's and take them 5 days a week :eek: - unless her Mum buys them for me :idea:

It bugs me cos I would love another cat, just cant do the whole eye swelling up and itching like crazy thing :(

angeldelight
28-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Good luck Kelly hope you sort something out

Angel xx

Julia
29-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Well, not the child exactly, but in a way! I developed an allergy to cats when I moved to the country 4 years ago; don’t know why but now, even when not in the country, I have a fairly bad reaction to cats if I stroke them. One of the children I mind has started to settle back in after the hols and suddenly again I have my usual really itchy eyes and cold like symptoms - if it continues I don’t really know how I might approach the Mum because its obviously the fact that the little girl has the hairs etc fom their cat on her clothes which cause my allergy.....has anyone had to give notice for a similar reason :eek:

OMG thats really sad:( but it made me laugh when I read the title, I feel like Im allergic to children all the time but I dont start sneezing:laughing:

But you cant vet the kids who come through your door and have to turn business away because theyve got cats! can you take somthing for it?