PDA

View Full Version : I'm a bit down....

Little Pumpkins
10-01-2008, 08:24 PM
..... and a bit worried

I thought because I am the only childminder in the village I would have quiet a few people call, but just one called.

I dunno, I know I have to be patient, and I do have only little one starting part time in February. I'm just worried I'm not wanted.

I have advertisements up everywhere I can think of, plus I had a professional one done on my cars back window.

We just can't go much past March without me earning a half decent wage.

I suppose Im a bit stressed with the wedding looming too (I can't bring myself to even look at wedding things right now)

Any one out there got some positive stories for me

deeb66
10-01-2008, 08:28 PM
I know that it is hard when you first start up.

It usually takes a little time....you have nothing for ages and then another day the phone won't stop ringing....so the best advice I can offer is to hang on in there.....you are doing everything right.....it will happen

I promise!!!

Lou
10-01-2008, 08:30 PM
I dont know if im the best person to reply to this as i have been registered since 2004 and am going through a very quiet spell.

Its one of the downfalls of this game, well being self employed in general, unfortunatly there is no guarentee of a certain income.

What i will say is, you are doing everything right, and those calls will come, in time.

I perk myself up by thinking that even though i am quiet at mo, (2 part timers and an after schoolie) i am stilldoing something i love, earning money and am there for my children.

Keep your chin up, it will happen xx

Spangles
10-01-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm sorry you are feeling so down, I can sense it in your post how down you are.

I'm sure it won't take long especially as you are 'the only childminder in the village'! Could you do a leaflet drop round some of the local houses? Even if you just did some they would know people in other houses and might pass your info on.

Keep your chin up, it will happen all of a sudden.

Just think about the wedding, don't let this bring you down because you WILL get mindees, it's only a matter of time and the end of March is ages away.

emler
10-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Sorry to hear you're feeling down about this. It does take time but the calls will come - stay positive

Emler x

Cammie Doodle
10-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Dont get disheartened I have just lost a full time mindee and thinking it will be ages till I get another one I have had 2 calls in the past 2 days it 's all or nothing in this game . Keep your chin up :thumbsup:

sarah707
10-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Have you talked to the local schools? I mean gone in and talked to the heads about what you are offering and what you can do to help their parents? I got a child from this approach recently...

Good luck and keep positive - it can take a while to get going! :D

nannysue
10-01-2008, 08:53 PM
|Hi Dee . Sorry you are feeling a bit disheartened but try not to worry I'm sure before long you will be turning people away as you are full. Have you tried your local school, putting something on the notice board or even give your name to the office. Sometimes mums make enquiries at the school first, i have had a few this way. A leaflet drop is a good idea, have you got a local free paper that you can place an ad, are there any other childminders you can let know that you have spaces,word of mouth usually works well.

Good luck honestly it will happen. Sue X

Mollymop
10-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Chin up sweet:) , i am sure things will pick up in no time. You have done well only being registered for a few weeks and already have a child ready to start soon, etc.
Seeing as though you are the only childminder in your village, if anyone needs a childminder there will be no competition for you, really. Think positively, lovey, you will be fine and you will have a great wedding!!

I am sending you lots of love and luck :)
XX

Tily Bud
10-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Dont worry im sure things will pick up soon xx

A least you have got no competition not like in my area x

berkschick
10-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Firstly, your first line reminded me of Little Britain! "Im the only childminder in the village" Lol maybe its just my weird sense of humour! :idea:

Now the serious stuff!

I know exactly how you are feeling. I am in the same boat. There are lots of minders round here but they are all full and have waiting lists. I know my turn will come too but it is just soooooo frustrating at the mo. I had a call today but no good because it was for a school that I do not cover. I had several enquiries but some were wanting the earth and others I could not help. I have taken on 2 part times but one is only 6 hours one day a week! I too have ads here there and everywhere.

I am sure that in 6 weeks we will be much busier and wishing we had a day off! I had a busy day today as both mindees came and I have 4 kids myself ( only 1 pre-schooler though) and I realised just how busy I could be once I get more mindees! I spent all day changing bums, clearing up toys, making obs, etc. It was fun though :D

Keep you chin up, I think there are a few of us at the same stage at the mo so we can work through it together

Love

Debbie

miffy
10-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Everyone's said what I would say but didn't want to read and run

Hang in there and I hope you get some more work soon

Miffy xx

Minnie Minx
10-01-2008, 09:30 PM
sorry to hear you're feeling down, as the others have said it can take time, big hugs to you, i hope you get some more mindees soon

xxx

Rubybubbles
11-01-2008, 11:08 AM
sorry your feeling down, everyone has said what I would say!! Just think of all the time you can spend on here:D .

Hope things pick up which I'm sure they will, I'm just lucky as I live on RAF base and there's always a huge demand for childminders, even with day care centre local and very cheap:eek: one is less than £3 per hour!

littlestar
11-01-2008, 12:50 PM
hi dee im not to sure what to suggest have you been into the local school and left some advertisements and possibly asked them very nicely to mention you in there newsletter that goes home to all parents thats the best i can think of sorry hope this helps.:) smile it can only get better

Mollymop
11-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Are you feeling a bit better today?

Blaze
11-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Just wanted to say...hang on in there...it happens to us all & does pick up!
Tasha:)

Little Pumpkins
11-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Hiya

I am feeling a bit better today still a bit worried but trying to concentrate on planning activities and menu's etc

I had my final fitting on my wedding dress today, it looks lovely and Im really happy with it so that cheered me up

carolinel
11-01-2008, 04:21 PM
sorry if you've already answered this but when are you getting married?

nat1664
11-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi

Im in the same bost too, but I had a lady from NCMA come round yestrday to get me on the network,m I told her about my problems ...no kids...ha
and she gave my number to a lady who runs a teen parent workshop once a week, she rang me today and I start nx thursday its only 3 hours each week,just watching the kids while the teen mums are getting help with various things,its somthing and Im thinking it will get me meeting some people so something might come of it :) fingers crossed,

GOOD LUCK with the wedding

Nat

x

angeldelight
11-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Glad you are feeling a bit better today

Hope everyone gets some calls soon

Good luck with the wedding

Angel xx

Little Pumpkins
11-01-2008, 05:40 PM
hi

we get married on jan 28th

ajs
11-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Everyone's said what I would say but didn't want to read and run

Hang in there and I hope you get some more work soon

Miffy xx

i am only repeating what everyone else has said but good luck you will pick up soon

i also thought of the little britain reference
sorry

mandy xx

Spangles
11-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Where are you getting married? Is it a church wedding? What's your dress like? I loved shopping for my wedding dress and looking through all the magazines! Tell us more!!!!

Little Pumpkins
11-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Hiya

we get married at a pavilion....

....Disneys wedding pavilion at Walt Disney World

we fly out on the 20th jan, I cant wait

chubbymummy
11-01-2008, 08:28 PM
wow how exciting is it just the two of you or are some of your family going

will minnie and mickey sign as wittnesses? lol

Trouble
11-01-2008, 08:29 PM
i agree with everyone else, keep smiling they will come soon when word get about, join a mother and toddler group or a group similar,JOIN EVERYTHING WHERE THEIR IS CHILDREN:thumbsup:

Little Pumpkins
11-01-2008, 08:29 PM
34 of us are going though it was meant to be a small wedding.

mickey and minnie can come to the reception but we are having stitch and mushu instead.

LittleAcorns
11-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Have you thought of perhaps, offering "shopping trip" "day to yourself" type care, offering your services to parents while they go out, just to get yourself known, all of my mindees came from word of mouth, but thats not to say that advertising isnt a brilliant way, didnt someone say on here a while ago that they made a wooden sign to put in their garden, best of luck x

Spangles
11-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Oh what a fantastic wedding! Please put photos on won't you? It sounds amazing! You must be so excited, I would be! Wow!

Is there a web link so we can see the pavillion or anything?

chubbymummy
11-01-2008, 08:32 PM
share your photos when you get back

have a wonderful day

my brother and sister in law live in florida and the weather is just fantastic

mummyspice
11-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Don't get too stressed. Before you know it, you'll be inundated. Concentrate on your wedding for a bit-congratulations:jump for joy:

carolinel
11-01-2008, 11:25 PM
your wedding sounds fantastic!! hope to see some pics!

Minnie Minx
11-01-2008, 11:30 PM
your wedding sounds brill, do you need someone from the forum to attend, i can squeeze into a suitcase http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/others-208.gif

xxx

deeb66
12-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Yes the wedding sounds like it is going to be brilliant.

Good luck...and try not to stress about the work situation too much

LittleMissSparkles
12-01-2008, 07:57 PM
try not to worry too much things will pick up it may just take a while thats all, concerntrate on your wedding.... sounds amazing i hope you will post photos for us to see, sounds really romantic and exciting, we will think of you and will be wishing you both lots of love for your future together xxx

Little Pumpkins
13-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi

I am feeling alot better today!

I have had to people ask about me today.