PDA

View Full Version : have you seen the news this morning??

scottie
27-08-2008, 05:42 AM
morning all

has anyone seen the news this morning ???? it seem that ofsted has found a lagre amount of childcarers are inadequate and the level of service is especially bad in deprived areas.
also that a lot of childcarers are leaving wounder why????

EYFS was spoken about but only in passing well i live in a deprived area and i see a lot of people working ****** hard to bring a good service and thats never reported on .
:censored:

Monkey1
27-08-2008, 05:43 AM
I don't listen to the news....its depressing!

Pauline
27-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Yes I heard it Scottie, shame the only ever pick up on the bad news and not the people like you striving to make changes :(

flora
27-08-2008, 06:45 AM
i heard this scottie, i was watching gmtv. they said that a large number of childminders were not getting good or higher.....

they failled to explain that getting satisfactory meant you are meeting all the standards and therefore by definition must be providing quality care.

one would assume that oftsed would have the bench mark for poor care set at unsatisfactory ifyswim????

felt it was very loaded and not very good, pure sensastionalism :( only mentioned childminders too :mad:

nell57
27-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Just watched the item on bbc news

The same report also said that the percentage of minders getting outstanding had gone up, but yet again the news are concentrating on the negative:(

Helen

cherry
27-08-2008, 06:52 AM
I just came in on the tail end of a childminder being interviewed on BBC and she is asking why we need to do all this paperwork as a lot of childminders are leaving because of this.

I think there was another lady from the NCMA there as well.

Might be on again later.

RedDragon
27-08-2008, 07:13 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7582563.stm

This might help if you missed it on tv.

miffy
27-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the link

Miffy xx

Nicki L
27-08-2008, 07:17 AM
When do we as childminders ever get good press?? i just thank god that alot of parents still see us as the better option.

Chatterbox Childcare
27-08-2008, 07:20 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7582563.stm

This might help if you missed it on tv.

Thanks for this link. This is typical of the press reporting the negative and not positive. I am going to this link and the gmtv one and will tell them another side to the story.

If everyone does the same thing then they might get a different message.

Beaurocrats!

christine e
27-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks for this link. This is typical of the press reporting the negative and not positive. I am going to this link and the gmtv one and will tell them another side to the story.

If everyone does the same thing then they might get a different message.

Beaurocrats!

I have responded - bombarde them everyone!!!!!!!

Cx

angeldelight
27-08-2008, 07:38 AM
I would ignore it

What do these people know ?

It is the same every time

Angel xx

sue m
27-08-2008, 07:52 AM
I've just received this email from my neighbours, I was a childminder next door to them for many years.

Sue

Hi Sue I just saw a lady on Breakfast TV talking about the crazy new regulations for child minders; I think they’re trying to drive you out of business. I think you should be able to insist that OFSTED reads ALL the stuff you have to record and gives YOU a report on it!

The world is going mad!!!

All the best

Phil & Tricia

emmadines
27-08-2008, 08:23 AM
the thing is they have brought out the eyf's given us books to read about it but only 2 weeks ago had I received info on courses to go on. I’m still waiting to hear if i got on the course that’s in November. :mad:

I really can’t grasp the eyfs (which makes me feel really thick as I feel that I should be grasping it) I have my 1st ever inspection in September I’ve been minding actively for 3 weeks and as said above, this course is in november and I dont even know if i got on it!. I’m not from a childcare background; I only have my own 2.

So I am not confident that my inspection is going to go well at all with regards to obs etc.
They should have insured that all minders were offered training long before this @@@ eyfs.

I will be calling the ncma about the course I think.

Chatterbox Childcare
27-08-2008, 08:39 AM
I had a look at the GMTV site and left a message - doubt it will go any further though.

The BBC website was not as bad as I had feared. It did state that less deprived areas had a worse inspection outcome but they also said that on re inspection the grades came up. It stated that a lot of the problems were with security and abuse. They must act on this or there would be more deaths.

I don't think it is too bad a report.

They also reported on the EYFS and I think a lot of providers have been let down with the training of this and are therefore understandably dubious, if not scared, of what is coming and that is why the reports on it are more negative than positive.

After working through B-3 and Foundation Stage I personally don't think it is that bad and when the dust settles we will all get to grips with it and take to it like ducks. After all it is only what we are doing now but recording it on paper instead of in our heads.

Bushpig
27-08-2008, 08:47 AM
I think EYFS is blown out of proportion. People are scared of change, and, once they get used to it, the dust will settle. Not discounting the extra paperwork and the lack of training in many areas etc. It has not been handled terribly efficiently in some parts of the country.

Will have a look at the article later, ta for the link.

Mollymop
27-08-2008, 08:50 AM
My sister rang me about half hour ago and told me to lok on the news as they are talking about childminders. I asked her if was bad news and she said only those in deprived areas. I hate listening to the news, they never have anything positive to say about childcare do they?

chez1373
27-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Ive had my say lol

Ripeberry
27-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Some parents may not even listen to this report properly and will just think.
Childminders, leaving in droves, bad grades.....Better put little Jimmy or Jane in a Nursery instead. :(

chez1373
27-08-2008, 10:11 AM
OMG :panic:
:panic: :panic: :panic:
BBC NEWS have just phoned me back they want me to do a telephone interview arghghghgh

Any thing you want passing on ????
Well ive given them my mobile number as were off out im shaking now never done anythin like this before lol

Cheryl

Pipsqueak
27-08-2008, 10:14 AM
I live in what is considered a deprived area and there are some really good (and good graded - myself included) minders. Of course there are the ones who aren't up to scratch as well.
I did notice they focused there deprived area of London boroughs - yet again life outside London doesn't exist.
I actually didn't think it was too damning report but I only caught a bit of it with half an ear!!!

sue m
27-08-2008, 10:44 AM
OMG! I'm so glad it was you and not me they rang! LOL What are are you?

I'm ok at moaning but am terrified of looking stupid and going to pieces when they want an interview. We live with a railway line at the bottom of our gardens and Network Rail refused point blank to put a fence up, you could walk straight onto the line from the garden. I wrote 3 times over a year and they kept saying no so I contacted my local news team and they wanted to come and interview me. I nearly needed a nappy!!!!! Anyway, at the 11th hour, NR amazingly said they would put a fence up!

Sorry to digress, when you speak to them hopefully things will just roll off your tongue!!! :( Just tell them exactly how it is and what we are expected to do. And good luck, rather you than me!!! :D

Pipsqueak
27-08-2008, 10:51 AM
OMG :panic:
:panic: :panic: :panic:
BBC NEWS have just phoned me back they want me to do a telephone interview arghghghgh

Any thing you want passing on ????
Well ive given them my mobile number as were off out im shaking now never done anythin like this before lol

Cheryl

Wow - you go for it. I would be pooping myself now!!!

Heaven Scent
27-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Oh any news will it be on the lunch time news - I need to record it! - I think I'll reply.

Pudding Girl
27-08-2008, 11:37 AM
None of this applies to me being in Scotland of course, but I still watched with interest.
The childminder that was on BBC this am is someone from Mumsnet on the childcare board it seems, she stated her corner very well imo. I'll be looking on the 1pm news to see if you are on it!

chez1373
27-08-2008, 02:15 PM
UPDATE...

I ave them my mobile number as i was off out shopping and as i was out shopping i had missed their call im gutted there call was at 12.16 i didnt see my phone until 1
But im sure they would have had stand bys on the line (i hope)..
I dont think ill be voicing my opinion again lol

Sorry guys