PDA

View Full Version : Booster seats

SonnysMummy
25-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Can booster seats fit into the middle seat in most cars or do they need the other seatbelts? I'm not going to be able to get very full if not as i can't afford a bigger car right now!!!

sarah707
25-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Depends on the seat - some do go on a lapstrap.

I would suggest you go to somewhere that fits them and take advice. :D

LisaH
25-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Yes definately trip along to somewhere like Halfords or Mothercare etc.

I drive a Zafira and can only just fit 3 booster seats in a row!!:)

SonnysMummy
25-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Oh God...i bet i won't have a chance of fitting them all in my little car then:rolleyes:

Kes
25-08-2008, 07:05 PM
I read a leaflet on carrying other peoples children and it said that if the booster seat has car seats both sides it is fine to just use a lap belt as they have the two sides of the other car seats for protection. So as long as your carrying two younger children as well you should be fine. What I don't know is if you would fit all three seats in your car.

Kerry.

SonnysMummy
25-08-2008, 07:39 PM
I've just been trawling the internet and i have seen the law saying that a child restraint doesn't need to be used in the middle rear seat if there are two child restraints either side although my worry is that parents wouldn't be happy with this.
Apparently some booster seats do fit with lap belts but haven't found any...does anyone know of any???
What do you think parents would think about doing the school run using public transport or even a taxi as it would actually only be one day where i'd have to do that???

squiggle
25-08-2008, 07:54 PM
i have a seat which fits on a lap belt. it was from argos and was a fisher price one, think it was about £65.

there aren't many that will fit on a lap belt, this is the only one i could find

if i remember right it is in the sale at the mo so have a look

hope that helps

Jen xx

Chimps Childminding
25-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Could you not fit a car seat in the middle and use the booster seat on the side with a proper seat belt? I know one of my seats used to fit really well using a lap belt!

squiggle
25-08-2008, 07:58 PM
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3760763/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CNursery%7C10199769/c_2/2%7Ccat_10199769%7CCar+and+booster+seats%7C1019978 4.htm

if this works this is the one i have in the middle of my care xx

Chatterbox Childcare
25-08-2008, 08:54 PM
I have an 8 seater car but the 2 middle seats do not have head rests. If I put a booster seat in the middle then the children are too high and it would be dangerous if there was an accident.

I was told that if there was an appropriate seat for the child then they must use it but if not use the lap belt.

For correct information contact your local council and get advice from the Health and Safety department.

Debbie

Debbie

angeldelight
26-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Take a look here

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/fromseptember06.htm

Angel xx

emmadines
26-08-2008, 08:05 AM
as longs as there is a 3 point seat belt i cant see the problem

cloud9
26-08-2008, 10:07 AM
I have a galaxy 7 seats but was told as my centre seat is a lap belt i could only use this if no other seats were full, including the front seat. When the centre seat with the lap belt is to be used the eldest child should be put in it and it should be used without a booster seat to allow the proper protection in the event of an accident. I believe that when they state that no child restraint has to be used they are referring to the actual booster seat not the belt!
If you call your local council they will advise you of the proper regs though.

FizzysFriends
26-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I wouldn't use a lap belt with a booster seat for a mindee or my own DD as lap belts are harsh in a crash. Can you put a car seat in the middle and booster at the side?