PDA

View Full Version : Making an EYFS Reference Folder

Pauline
24-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Did you order a new EYFS pack when the updates were made?

Well, rather than throw my old pack away, I have taken it to pieces and put all the pages into sections in a big file because this information didn't change during the update. I've used dividers to split it all up into the individual Learning Goals, The Themes and Commitments and Age/Stage information.

This is making it much easier when sitting with my children's folders to be able to quickly reference for ideas of what to put. It is easier than sitting with the booklet from the pack, as the pages often won't stay open.

Best bit of recycling I've ever done!! :D

(I've kept the new pack as it is so that I've got it as it should be, in case I needed it for a course or something.)

Nicki L
24-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Pauline

Thanks for that. This is going to sound really dumb :blush: but i can not remember where i ordered the first pack from.

Do you have the website address please so that i can order an updated one.

THanks

Chatterbox Childcare
24-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Excellent idea

For anyone wanting the new pack all the details are on the back of the old one.

Debbie

Nicki L
24-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Excellent idea

For anyone wanting the new pack all the details are on the back of the old one.

Debbie

I knew i was dumb!!! thanks Debbie

Mrs.L.C
24-08-2008, 10:20 AM
when I did the eyfs training they recommended taking all the pages out of the book and putting them in a folder. So a good idea even if you only have the 1 pack. You can print off the updates from somewhere...cant remember where now though but im sure some1 knows

balloon
24-08-2008, 11:04 AM
mine has May 2008 printed in the front. Am I right in presuming this is the updated version?

sarah707
24-08-2008, 11:37 AM
mine has May 2008 printed in the front. Am I right in presuming this is the updated version?

Yes!

You can always view eyfs online here -

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachingandlearning/EYFS/

Bella
24-08-2008, 11:52 AM
I've got a pack for each child and have put the sheets in each childs file so that I can use it as a working document.

miffy
24-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Did you order a new EYFS pack when the updates were made?

Well, rather than throw my old pack away, I have taken it to pieces and put all the pages into sections in a big file because this information didn't change during the update. I've used dividers to split it all up into the individual Learning Goals, The Themes and Commitments and Age/Stage information.

This is making it much easier when sitting with my children's folders to be able to quickly reference for ideas of what to put. It is easier than sitting with the booklet from the pack, as the pages often won't stay open.

Best bit of recycling I've ever done!! :D

(I've kept the new pack as it is so that I've got it as it should be, in case I needed it for a course or something.)

Must be the day for it - I've done exactly the same this morning :laughing:

Could it be we're all getting organised now the big day is approaching fast!

Miffy xx

Pauline
24-08-2008, 12:36 PM
I've got a pack for each child and have put the sheets in each childs file so that I can use it as a working document.

I've just printed off the Themes and Commitments (you can get them on the website Sarah has mentioned) and put them in each child's folder, I thought that was more than enough for parents to have to cope with! :laughing:

Hannahlg
25-08-2008, 01:14 PM
oh i took all mine aprat and put it in a folder too it is so much when i need to find somthing.

but we gt 2 packs i got and ny mum got one, The other one i have took out of thw wite folder thing it coems in and put it in jsut a noaml folder.

angeldelight
25-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Thats a great idea Pauline

Thanks for sharing it

Angel xx

Willowdancer
25-08-2008, 10:42 PM
I've got the May 2008 version but have laminated all the loose sheets. I even printed off a smaller version of the enormous poster so I can display that instead of having to butcher the original, like some minders I know have done!

mertonparker
26-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi All,

Most of my observations & learning journey's are done on the pc....so instead of reading the eyfs and typing what i need out i just copy and paste it from the cd rom or off the website. It makes my paperwork much quicker :thumbsup:

mertonparker.x

p.s The cutting and pasting only seems to work with the new cd rom from the may updated pack:(

childminder54
27-08-2008, 10:00 PM
I've got the May 2008 version but have laminated all the loose sheets. I even printed off a smaller version of the enormous poster so I can display that instead of having to butcher the original, like some minders I know have done!

how did u print out a smaller version of the poster were did u get it from

veronica

Willowdancer
27-08-2008, 10:18 PM
I just printed off this to fit on an A4 sheet: http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/resources/downloads/poster.pdf

27-08-2008, 10:18 PM
I am doing this at the moment and the whole process has made me read it properly I just wish that when the EYFS was written that it included the ecm more clearly or even better just had one document to refer to. Am I the only one who finds the OFSTED website and info difficult to keep up with? I just want a section with " What childminders need to know". It is all so bitty and new parents posters and sef and inspection criteria is all over the shop and difficult to find. I feel like they are trying to trip you up. I wish hard copies were sent automatically. When I asked why the eyfs wasn't sent automatically to all childminders they said it was via local authorities but this didn't happen. Surely OFSTED has to take responsibilty for giving out info directly. What do I pay registration fees for? Sorry thats off my chest 'cause OFSTED refuse to listen!

sarah707
28-08-2008, 06:37 AM
I agree!

If it wasn't for coming on here I wouldn't have half a clue what was going on!

miffy
28-08-2008, 06:46 AM

Good idea about the poster!

Miffy xx

Pauline
28-08-2008, 07:14 AM
I got an extra pack of the thicker cards and stuck those on the wall, the first two when together make the large poster (does that make sense!)

Trouble
28-08-2008, 07:22 AM
I agree!

i was relying on your to know it:eek:

Tatia
28-08-2008, 07:56 AM
Must be the day for it - I've done exactly the same this morning
Miffy, you still have a bit of sand in your hair but wow, look at you, getting yourself ready!:laughing:

I've been meaning to do this but haven't gotten around to it. I did it with Foundation Stage before but used plastic sleeves for each card. Never thught of disassembling the statutory book, as well. Great idea!

(one more project to add to my ever-growing pile of projects!)

Chimps Childminding
29-08-2008, 07:08 PM
I agree!

Blimey sarah, if you wouldn't have a clue, there is no hope for the rest of us!!!!! We all rely on you to keep us up to date!!!!!!!!:clapping: :thumbsup:

son77
29-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Think I must of missed the bit about the new eyfs pack!!

Is it much different?

Pauline
29-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Think I must of missed the bit about the new eyfs pack!!

Is it much different?

Nope, blink as you turn the pages and you will miss the changes :)

The main difference is in the welfare requirements, it has updated the changes that were made following the consultation. :)

donnahay0
29-08-2008, 09:31 PM
I did this too - I was able to destroy mine before my eyfs course and it made it easier flipping through the ring binder. I laminated the sections that i thought would get most use. It made me feel quite good ripping the book apart I must say - haven't had so much fun in ages.

Note to myself : Must get out more ..

butterfly
31-08-2008, 09:03 PM
i think i'm being really thick and would like to apologise in advance!!

i thought this idea of seperating the info into a folder was fantastic so sat down this evening to do just that. However, i've sat here for at least an hour now and can't work out what you've all done!!

what have you put in your folder? everything? under what headings?

please help me!! i'm a qualified early years teacher but seem to have lost my brain somewhere!!!!

cherry
31-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi Butterfly

I felt like you so I contacted Pauline who explained what she did.
Hope this helps.

Using the thick cards in the pack:

I've put the one headed themes and committments, in the first section along with the one called child development overview. (This then gives you a reference to all the EYFS general stuff at the front of your file)

Second section:

All the cards called Child development, they are bluey green in the headings and numbered 1.1 1.2 etc.

third section:

All the cards called Respecting each other, they are purple in the headings, numbered 2.1, 2.2 etc.

fourth section:

all the observation and assessment cards, green colour 3.1, 3.2

5th section:

Play and exploration cards, orange numbered 4.1, 4.2 etc.

are you with me so far!!

Next I've made 6 dividers with the learning goal headings CLL, PD, PSE etc. then using the remaining cards and the booklet from the pack (not the welfare requirements the other one)

In each section I have put the relevant card at the front then I have carefully removed the pages from the booklet.... they are in the part of the booklet called Appendix 2 and they relate to each of the areas, with ideas for activities and all sorts.

hello kitty
31-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks Cherry and Pauline.

I understand what you mean now. I guess I've got some sorting out to do tomorrow. :)

Pauline
01-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Hi Butterfly

Wow Cherry I can't believe you managed to understand my explanation - well done!! :laughing:

butterfly
01-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Thank you Cherry and Pauline. You've made it much clearer!! I will be doing that this afternoon me thinks!! I'm so excited (see thread 'Ofsted granted it) so i've got to get sorted as i've actually got planning to do now!

cherry
01-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Yes Pauline you made it very easy to understand and it looks much better seperated out into a file.:thumbsup:

You can leave it open and refer back to it instead of searching all the time.

Thanks to everyone whose is helping to make EYFS easier to comprehend.

Pedagog
01-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Looks like I am making a EYFS folder this afternoon.

hello kitty
01-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Finished my folder and hubby has bought me some extra wide dividers for it too. Very professional. :)

Denise r
01-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi Butterfly

Hope this helps.

I've put the one headed themes and committments, in the first section along with the one called child development overview. (This then gives you a reference to all the EYFS general stuff at the front of your file)

Second section:

All the cards called Child development, they are bluey green in the headings and numbered 1.1 1.2 etc.

third section:

All the cards called Respecting each other, they are purple in the headings, numbered 2.1, 2.2 etc.

fourth section:

5th section:

are you with me so far!!

Next I've made 6 dividers with the learning goal headings CLL, PD, PSE etc. then using the remaining cards and the booklet from the pack (not the welfare requirements the other one)

In each section I have put the relevant card at the front then I have carefully removed the pages from the booklet.... they are in the part of the booklet called Appendix 2 and they relate to each of the areas, with ideas for activities and all sorts.

Hello Cherry,

Thanks for the expanation it has really helped me just one question, I have put together 6 dividers CLL, PSE etc and have carefully taken out the relevant pages from the non-stat guidance book but what do you mean by using the the remaining cards? I cannot find any other cards other than those used in section 1. Sorry if this really stupid question. Many thanks Denise

cherry
01-09-2008, 03:24 PM
It sounds like you have done it correctly but I'll try to explain. (I'm not very good at this)

At the front of your file you should have
Themes and Commitments and Child Development Overview.
Then the 1.1, 1.2 etc, then 2.1, 2.2 etc. that makes altogether 18 cards.

Then you come to the seperate files, the first one Personal, Social and Emotional Dev. the card is at the front then you add the pages from the Practice Guidance book, the next file and card is Communication etc thats at the front and the pages from the book follow you do that with each card. That should give you six files.

Does that help, as I said, I'm not very good at explaining.

Denise r
01-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi Butterfly

Hope this helps.

Second section:

third section:

fourth section:

5th section:

are you with me so far!!

Hi Cherry MY mail box was full, it is now empty ( I am only allowed 1!) please can you re-send your e-mail, Thanks again Denise

Denise r
01-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi Butterfly

Hope this helps.

Second section:

third section:

fourth section:

5th section:

are you with me so far!!

Hi Cherry, Sorry ignore my last post about re-sending yours! It does make sense and I have to say I hadn't realised the 6 cards were there, ooppss! Thanks again Denise