PDA

View Full Version : SEF

Bella
24-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Can anyone tell me how long it is likely to take to complete the SEF, and has anyone done it yet? There seems to be no guidence on how much info is required.

Pauline
24-08-2008, 09:05 AM
I keep dipping into mine and adding bits then going away for a think, then coming back. I doubt I will ever 'finish' it, there will always be something to add!! :rolleyes:

I don't think I will submit it for a long time, if they want to see it they can always ask. :)

sarah707
24-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Have you ever measured a piece of string? :panic:

Sorry, couldn't resist that one! :laughing:

It can be as long as you want it to be and contain as much information as you want to give.

The more you put in it, the less you will have to remember when you are under pressure in an inspection.

sue m
24-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Same as you Pauline!! Believe it or not I have 'completed' it - so far - and have been going back and adding or changing bits. I've not noticed, is there a date you have to submit it? I've been doing it forever! Evenings, weekends, it's just a matter of what you write and how often you go back and change it isn't it.

Pauline
24-08-2008, 09:23 AM
I agree with Sarah, get as much into it as you can, it is going to be the most important thing regarding your childminding.

(Well almost, of course the forum is the MOST important thing :laughing:)

Nicki L
24-08-2008, 10:18 AM
I havent even logged in and looked at it yet!!:blush:

I got my self in such a state about my inspection the other week - i put all my efforts and time into that. Spose i had better have a look later.

Pauline
24-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Same as you Pauline!! Believe it or not I have 'completed' it - so far - and have been going back and adding or changing bits. I've not noticed, is there a date you have to submit it? I've been doing it forever! Evenings, weekends, it's just a matter of what you write and how often you go back and change it isn't it.

I don't think there is a date to get it submitted by but if you were due an inspection I reckon they would get in touch and ask if you have completed one.

If you do submit it you can still submit another updated one later and that will then become your latest one for Ofsted to read.

miffy
24-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Didn't I read somewhere on here that the SEF will be frozen shortly before your inspection is due?

Miffy xx

Pauline
24-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Didn't I read somewhere on here that the SEF will be frozen shortly before your inspection is due?

Miffy xx

Yes I believe that is true, but if you haven't got one submitted won't they ring and ask for a written one? In which case you could say "oh I've got one ready to submit on line" :)

sue m
24-08-2008, 01:39 PM
I didn't know that. I've got it saved anyway on my computer. My CDSO said I was due a 7 minth inspection so I'm waiting to hear.

Pauline
24-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Ooooh goody - you can be our guinea pig Sue :laughing:

sarah707
24-08-2008, 03:34 PM
According to Ofsted sources, they will not chase your SEF or remind you (except a general annual reminder to all minders).

They will ring to confirm inspection and print SEF at the same time, so it pays to keep it updated.

The recommended date for getting it online is 1st Sept, just in case you're in the first batch of inspections.

Happy to spread a little cheer :D

miffy
24-08-2008, 03:39 PM
That is not funny Sarah!!!!!!

I've no chance of doing mine by that date and I wouldn't be at all happy if Ofsted said they were coming to inspect me again so soon after the last one!

I'm waiting for training on how to fill it in - could be a while :laughing:

Miffy xx

Monkey1
24-08-2008, 04:37 PM
I haven't looked at it yet:blush: I'm due november which i think its time enough to read Sarah's tips on sef and to compleat it....i think...:rolleyes:

sue m
24-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Training to fill it in??? Do we get that then??? I'm definitely losing my marbles! 1st September isn't long when you actually look at the calendar is it????? Times sure flies when you're having fun!!! :panic: So, sorry to be thick, (think a lot of us have said that lately LOL) but shall I keep on updating it and then on 1st September, submit it? My CSDO isn't coming till the 5th! I've no idea when my inspection is but she (CSDO) said it would be coming up soon! I'd never heard of a sef till recently and now you're saying it will be frozen soon. They're trying to send us all completely mad! :eek:

miffy
24-08-2008, 07:10 PM
We were told at our last network meeting that they were going to do a training session on how to fill in the SEF - no dates fixed yet!

No you don't have to submit your SEF form on 1st September - the idea is to fill it in and regularly update it - a good idea to print it off before you update it to prove that you have updated it iyswim

Miffyxx

sue m
24-08-2008, 07:22 PM
I see, good point. Thanks Miffy.

mjw
24-08-2008, 08:33 PM
I have been gazing at my sef template part b section 3 now for over an hour and just don't understand what they want! I am remembering how I used to feel at school when you turned over the exam sheet and couldn't answer the question...my heart is pounding my eyes are watering and time is running out and everyone else seems to know the answer!! My dear Husband saw the state of me and said GET ON THE FORUM AND ASK...so please can someone guide me as to what they want in the learning and development section. I even have Sarah booklet open and have read and reread the guidance notes but I don't understand.
Help!
Mary:panic: :idea: :eek:

sarah707
24-08-2008, 08:44 PM
How do you support a child's learning and development?

You use the eyfs of course! How?

Well, you implement each area of the eyfs ... you aim to get the environment right, treat the child as unique and form a good strong relationships with the child, parents, other settings and other professionals.

Then and only when this is all in place ...

You tackle the areas of learning and development... How?

You support psed by.... you support cll by .... etc.

Then, of course, you think about how to make sure you are doing the right things... How?

By observing, assessing and planning for next steps... all through play!

Does this help get you started? :D

sue m
24-08-2008, 08:44 PM
No we don't Mary!!!!! Not all of us anyway!!! I feel exactly the same as you, I must have big mood swings cos sometimes I feel like you and other times I think oh *** it and write down whatever comes into my head! :D My friend is a primary school teacher and she is gobskacked that we have to do all this paperwork. Sometimes things come to me in a flash - but it's very rare so I have to rush to the computer and start the sef!!!! Someone else will explain better than I can what you need to put about the learning and development section.

Bella
25-08-2008, 05:41 AM
I've heard rumours that the new inspections may not be done in order of "who had their last inspection the longest time ago" or "who is nearly due for one" but anytime within a 3 to 4 year timescale of September - any one know if this is correct?
Do you think they might inspect the people who put the SEF forms in first (to test their system)?

sarah707
25-08-2008, 07:50 AM
Lots of rumours flying...

One is that they will blitz on postcodes, regardless of when inspections last happened...

Nobody knows except maybe Ofsted.

miffy
25-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Lots of rumours flying...

One is that they will blitz on postcodes, regardless of when inspections last happened...

Nobody knows except maybe Ofsted.

Oh but they never agree anyway - so who knows???????

Maybe we need a mole :laughing:

Miffy xx