PDA

View Full Version : In shock and not sure what to say

Mrs.L.C
23-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Im in shock and not sure if I should speak to this childminder or not but here goes.

I am a support childminder and I had a call from a parent for after school care and she told me that her current childminder was giving up and moving away. She told me the childminders name and I realised that she was one of my childminders. I didnt say anything about it.

I had spoken to her (the childminder) at the end of term as she was asking if I would be able to take on this child as she just can't cope with the behaviour anymore which I said i couldn't as I did not have space but told her another childminder has but she wouldn't pass her number on to the parent as this childminder is pregnant and she didn't want to put the pressure on her.

My concern is this childminder is not moving away and has just taken on 2 children, that used to go to this other childminder that I get on well with (without mentioning it to the other childminder who's toes she was stepping on but that's another story) so I know she has lied to the parent about moving.
Obviously isn't going to look good on her esp as shes only in her 1st year and this parent is very likely to see her about

Spangles
23-08-2008, 05:20 PM
It's a shame she didn't feel she could approach the parent about it to see if they could work together on the behaviour and come to a conclusion together.

I don't see the point in telling those lies, she will be found out in the end and it's not going to look good on her as you say.

Could you call the childminder and ask in all innocence if she's moving away as you'd heard that she is and see what she says? Might be the best way to introduce the subject and then let her explain the situation to you fully.

brillminder
23-08-2008, 05:43 PM
i bet she dare not tell the truth uppssssssssssss , she got caught out:( not look good for minders

miffy
23-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Keep out of it - it's nothing to do with you really. If this childminder was silly enough to tell such stupid lies (let's face it she was bound to be caught out with this one) that's her lookout.

Miffy xx

sarah707
23-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Agree with Miffy! :D

LisaH
23-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I took on a new mindee a couple of years ago when her mum called me and said her current minder was giving up minding!!

I ended up with a very aggressive and unpleasant 9yr old that I just couldn't cope with and unfortunately her mother had an attitude 10times worse!! Needless to say I put up with her for a couple of months then sent her packing.

I found out quite by accident who her previous minder was and wasn't at all surprised to find out that she told the mother she was giving up minding because she was too scared to speak to her about her childs behaviour.

So basically I'm saying the minder in your support network probably shouldnt have done it that way but maybe she felt she had too. I would defo contact her. She may need help on what to do if she feels she has to use this kind of excuse in future.:)

Mrs.L.C
24-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Will probably have a chat with her after my holiday and see what shes says and i'l advise against doing it again. If it was just another childminder I probably wouldn't say anything but I feel as though I need to as i'm her support childminder.

miffy
24-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Good luck with that :)

Miffy xx

cloud9
25-08-2008, 09:05 AM
I took on a new mindee a couple of years ago when her mum called me and said her current minder was giving up minding!!

I ended up with a very aggressive and unpleasant 9yr old that I just couldn't cope with and unfortunately her mother had an attitude 10times worse!! Needless to say I put up with her for a couple of months then sent her packing.

I found out quite by accident who her previous minder was and wasn't at all surprised to find out that she told the mother she was giving up minding because she was too scared to speak to her about her childs behaviour.

So basically I'm saying the minder in your support network probably shouldnt have done it that way but maybe she felt she had too. I would defo contact her. She may need help on what to do if she feels she has to use this kind of excuse in future.:)

I would agree if she is new to minding she may be unsure about what to do and thae excuse just came tumbling out without her even thinking. She may have not felt confident enough to do it any other way. Its a shame she didnt mention it to u when she called to see if you had room for the lo and then maybe you could have offered her the support then. It sounds as if she lacks confidence and is scared.

Chatterbox Childcare
25-08-2008, 09:32 AM
I would go ahead with the placement if you want it.

If the other childminder has lied then it is her look out.

Debbie

Mrs.L.C
25-08-2008, 09:37 AM
I would go ahead with the placement if you want it.

If the other childminder has lied then it is her look out.

Debbie

Iv not got the space but the other childminder i mentioned is taking her on and iv said id cover maternity.

Mrs.L.C
04-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Just a quick update. Spoke to the childminder in question today and she told me that they were moving has her husband got offered a job but then decided not to. Not sure if its the truth or not as iv heard a story from a friend whos a friend of this childminder and other stories are starting to float around already(small town), which I mentioned to the childminder and said if she does need help with anything then she can come and speak to me for advice. Not much else I can say or do I guess. Just hope if doesnt back fire on all childminders in this area

Annie_T
04-09-2008, 03:30 PM
oh thats strange, maybe it was only way she could get them gone in her eyes

Tatia
04-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Sounds like a situation I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole! You've asked, she's answered, truthfully or not it's no longer your concern. I'd try to avoid listening to the gossip and most definitely wouldn't contribute (not saying you would:) ). You're there to support her with childminding concerns, not sort out her life and lies/rumours.

SOunds a tough spot for you to be in!

donnahay0
04-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Oooh honesty is always the best policy - these things have a nasty habit of coming back and biting you on the rear.

polobear1970
04-09-2008, 07:49 PM
now you have spoken to her i would leave it

lisa

angeldelight
05-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Sounds like a situation I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole! You've asked, she's answered, truthfully or not it's no longer your concern. I'd try to avoid listening to the gossip and most definitely wouldn't contribute (not saying you would:) ). You're there to support her with childminding concerns, not sort out her life and lies/rumours.

SOunds a tough spot for you to be in!

I agree

Angel xx

Bushpig
05-09-2008, 09:07 AM
now you have spoken to her i would leave it

lisa

I agree! :)

Mrs.L.C
05-09-2008, 01:25 PM
No wont be speaking anymore of the situation. She knows whats being said and nothing I can do but support her childminding needs until her year is up in Oct.