PDA

View Full Version : Notice of one child to make room for another?

kellyg
21-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Sorry if this is a long story but I will try to keep it short:

Basically I currently have 1 FT 6 month old that has barely started with me due to the holidays, before then she pretty much screamed every instance when she was not in my arms. I also have a 3 year old 3 days a week that really, really tries my patience and is the sort to scream, shout, jump around including on furniture, push the little one whether it be deliberate or not, will wet herself due to being lazy as she does not want to walk up the stairs (she has told me so) and plays up no end, like no other time when her Mum collects her. Now, for a while I have been considering giving notice due to my daughter being injured by this one and also as I find it quite hard to, I suppose, get on, with her and feel sorry for her as I think she really needs interaction with other 3 year olds. I should also mention that her Mum took her out of nursery 3 of her 5 days as she said she was bored but personally I feel she would be better back there where she has others her age to run riot with (my daughter is not yet 2 so quite a gap of over 1 year).
So, I will get to it; the 15 month old I used to mind 5 days a week but due to his Mum having another baby he is only with me 1 day (the other baby replaced him) but due to not getting sorted its now in the air about him coming back to me as its unlikely they will get a minder for both boys together (well round here it is) so my question is (told you I would get there) would you give notice to the 3 year old in order to make room for the 15 month old knowing you will have 3 under the age of 3?

I know its a long and complicated story but I am just worried I will be biting of more than I can chew :eek:

miffy
21-08-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure I could do that - 3 under 3 would be really hard work - you might find it's a case of "out of the frying pan into the fire"

There's also the logistics of transport, eating and sleeping etc.

Only you can make the decision though - good luck

Miffy xx

sarah707
21-08-2008, 09:53 PM
I have an immature 3 year old and a 1 1/2 year old on the books at the moment and it is very hard work.

I am saying no to babies and younger children just now because I know I would not cope.

Only you know your tolerance levels though ... but in this current economic climate, I'd stay with whoever is likely to keep their job and pay you!

Good luck with your decision :D

kellyg
21-08-2008, 09:58 PM
yeah that is my worry but to be honest the 3 year old gives my such a head ache as she is constant I am not sure how much longer I can last - I have the relevant car seats already and come Dec / Jan time when it will come in to effect my daughter will be over 2 and attending playgroup 2 mornings a week and walking far more so my double buggy should be enough for the little time I need it as I normally just go from the car to the toddler group etc....don’t walk very far either - oh I don’t know, I just think although it will be hard I am not sure it will be as hard as having a 3 year old that drives me insane and teaches my daughter habits I cant stand, such as terrible eating habits and screaming...argh. Oh I have been umming and ahhing for ages over this, I should mention the little boy is great in the house but can be a pain when out due to being anti social, the 3 year old on the other hand will happily play - its 6 of 1, half a dozzen of the other - I think its my daughter I am mainly thinking of, while she is a good play mate most of the time she can also be such a hindrance - IYKWIM?

kellyg
21-08-2008, 10:01 PM
I have an immature 3 year old and a 1 1/2 year old on the books at the moment and it is very hard work.

I am saying no to babies and younger children just now because I know I would not cope.

Only you know your tolerance levels though ... but in this current economic climate, I'd stay with whoever is likely to keep their job and pay you!

Good luck with your decision :D

It's £50 more a week and food is supplied, also will be for about another 4 years, not 1 :panic: I suppose its going ot be hard with a baby anyway, just dont know how it will work but I do know I am very worried about having a crawling baby around a hyper 3 year old??
Why is nothing black and white????

Bushpig
21-08-2008, 10:58 PM
I have 3 kids most days (10 mo, 1, 3), the eldest has just turned 3.. and I have a variance for 1 day a week where I have a 1 yr old, 2 x 2 years olds and a 3 year old (1 non walker).

Logistics and practicality is something I face daily, and I would not take on more than 2 non walkers (and the others must be very good walkers).

On a Thursday I have 2 non walkers, so even though I can have 4 that day, I am leaving the vacancies vacant till these two are a little older, walking, are more independent etc.

I love the little ones, and I do not take them too far on outings... we luckily have a common and a park and a huge mature garden within 2 minute walk, plus local shops etc too a 5 minute bus ride away/2 min walk away.

I have come to the conclusion though - no more babies! They are a lot more demanding, and when there are 3/4 kids, this is difficult at times.

In your case, if the 3 year old is disrupting your setting (and hurting your own child...), then I would seriously consider giving them notice. 3 under 3s isn't that bad :)

Chatterbox Childcare
22-08-2008, 04:58 AM
Only you could decide on this but you would probably get an overlap for continuity of care if you wanted one - but would you???

Debbie

Julia
22-08-2008, 08:32 AM
I have 3 under 3 and 2 3 year olds (full time in school and dont woeey just been inspected and she said it was fine)

It is not as hard as you think, although you do have to plan in advance, what and where you have to be and have activities set up for when they arrive to amuse them during the day.

It's near impossible to get out and about without help for another childminder but I get by.

I have also given notice to a part time child to get a full time contract in, at the end of the day your a business and you have to do whats right for you and yours.

Jinx
22-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Oh dear, now I'm scared!!!! :panic:

I'll have 3 under 18mths from 1st Sept for 4 mornings a week and 3 under 2 1/2 on Tuesdays!

I think I might get out the house a lot next week, cos it could be my last chance for a while!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do Kelly.

mimo
22-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Oh dear, now I'm scared!!!! :panic:

I'll have 3 under 18mths from 1st Sept for 4 mornings a week and 3 under 2 1/2 on Tuesdays!

I think I might get out the house a lot next week, cos it could be my last chance for a while!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do Kelly.

Blimey good luck :D

Bushpig
22-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Good luck... it's not that bad, really :)

berkschick
22-08-2008, 09:40 PM
I have 3 under 2, 5 days a week.

Its fine, honest!

LisaH
22-08-2008, 09:50 PM
I have 2 that have just turned 3 and a baby at the moment and all are full-time. Once you get going and establish some routines most days are fine really.

Personally I would end the contract and take on the new one. I have done this myself before and to be honest sometimes you have too!!

You are after all running a business so do whats right for you and your family.

LisaH
22-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Oh and good luck whatever you decide.:)