PDA

View Full Version : meeting with parent

Jules27
21-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Had phone call this evening, got a lady coming round next week, thats excellent.... but going up against one of my best mates who is also a childminder eek!! She is seeing her 1st then coming to me. It was inevitable this would happen and will probably happen again, but I feel sick with nerves and worry this time... wasn't this bad before previous meetings!!:panic:

miffy
21-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Good luck with the meeting - afraid that being in competition with a friend is sometimes part of the job and you just have to get on with it.

Fingers crossed it's you :)

Miffy xx

sarah707
21-08-2008, 09:56 PM
We get ones that do the rounds on our estate ... they visit 3 or 4 of us in an afternoon.

It is very hard but ultimately parents will either go on the feel of a place or the cost... and neither can be planned for.

Just relax, be yourself and good luck! :D

Rainy
21-08-2008, 10:14 PM
This happend to me last year. I had a family come to see me for 4 days a week term time only. I had just lost my full time mindee as his mum had gone on maternity leave and i really needed this one. Anyway she came to see me one day and it went really well. A couple of days later i was driving past my friends house when i saw the parents walking into her house. Anyway i got the job. My friend never mentioned it to me although she must have realised i had got the job when she saw the child with me so i never mentioned it either. It was a bit embarrassing but then again there may have been jobs that she had got that i hadn't. At the end of the day it is the parents choice so don't worry. Good luck

Chatterbox Childcare
22-08-2008, 05:01 AM
All is fair in love and war oh yes and work and money.

You could both go for it and neither of you get it. When this happens in our area we discuss our rates, go in at the same and the parent will chose who she wants.

This has nothing to do with friendship - it is work.

Debbie

balloon
22-08-2008, 06:10 AM
This thread is very interesting to me as I live opposite another childminder, who is also my friend. She is experienced, established, more qualified, and well known in the local community. I am new to childminding, new to the area and hardly know anybody, lol! I'm guessing that really I do not stand a chance if I come up against her but I'm still going all out to try.

I tell myself that if I am the right minder for the parent they will choose me and if I'm not then they wont.

I guess the same will happen with you, fingers crossed for both of us. :)

Mollymop
22-08-2008, 06:46 AM
I hope it goes well! If your friend is professional and a proper friend she will be happy for you if you get the child. Try not to worry about it too much.

angeldelight
22-08-2008, 07:10 AM
I would feel the same with it being a friend - but would she feel the same about you if she gets the job ??

Dont worry about it and be yourself good luck

Bluemoon I am sure that you will get some children - hopefully your friend will pass them to you also when she is full

Angel xx

mimo
22-08-2008, 08:42 AM
good luck for your visit .I am sure it will work out

Schnakes
22-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Ive had this too...theres one particular childminder in my area who is very sure she is the best at absolutely everything and is quite bitchy, so I always feel a little bit smug when one of them comes to me over her!! :cool: Apart from that, its really horrible. One of my friends regsitered at the same time as me - we met on the childminding course,and shes had NO luck, so I feel really bad if a parent goes with me and not her cos I know how bad it makes her feel.

Sx

Tatia
22-08-2008, 12:30 PM
There was a time around here when I was the only childminder with enough work and I was bursting at the seams while others were really struggling, including some friends of mine. I'd just sort of keep quiet whilst they complained about it. Luckily, they've now gotten full, as well. First thing we do when we get a call is to phone round to each other, hehe. My really good friend and I do different schools even though we live near each other so have never been in direct competition.

I'd never take on a child from a friend of mine unless they had ended the contract happily but when it comes to new work, hey, it's business first!

Jules27
22-08-2008, 01:03 PM
I've been friends with this lady for about 3 years now and we have both recently registered. Don't think there will be any hard feelings between us really, at the end of the day one of us could click with mother and child and the other not get on at all!! Just got to wait for next week!!!!!!:laughing:

Minstrel
22-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Look at it the other way- neither of you might want her!!!!
Then if you have to turn her down cos you just dont click then you'll both be hoping she doesnt pick you!!
Good luck anyway and i hope she's lovely and this doesnt happen!

Straws
22-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Just to wish you good luck, I felt the same when i had parents come to visit then wondered what i did wrong when they never signed up. they do tend to visit all the childminders in the area before they make a decision.

Straws xx

Alibali
22-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Most of mine and my friends mindees have come to visit us both and we are happy to accept that someone chooses one over the other, it's great also if your looking for cover, as the parents know we're friends and have previously met so we cover for each other quite alot. As long as there is plenty business to go around I wouldn't bother too much about it.

LisaH
22-08-2008, 10:17 PM
A couple of my mindees saw other local minders before me and they in turn have kids that I saw but didn't get!!

Parents all have their own preferences at the end of the day. All you can do is be yourself and cross those fingers! If your not lucky this time you more than likely will be with the next.
Hope it works out well for you.:)